The Cadets - 2014

To me this show is much more like a theater performance, with the stage set up front to feature individuals and small groups. The corps proper is simply background. There's some potential in this type of presentation, but again, it relegated the corps to more of a background accompaniment.

A bit like the BDs and Crown to a lesser extent. Looks like they're following the trend. It will be interesting to see how many other corps are following suit.

They've done Americana much more recently than 89/90.

I meant Copeland but honestly the mid 90's is hardly two years ago and for their 80th anniversary, it's a great choice.

Where am i? What year is it? So you're telling me that a world-class drum corp putting a stage front field spanning about 20 yards isn't distracting? Whatever.

I was kinda busy watching the drill and listening to the music on the first read, which I was able to do quite easily even with the stage there which, as I said, I barely noticed after a while, so YES, that's what I'm saying.

• Like 1

I was kinda busy watching the drill and listening to the music on the first read, which I was able to do quite easily even with the stage there which, as I said, I barely noticed after a while, so YES, that's what I'm saying.

I meant Copeland but honestly the mid 90's is hardly two years ago and for their 80th anniversary, it's a great choice.

Cadet's performed Appalachian Spring in 2008 as part of their Pursuit of Happiness show, maybe the narration then made you miss it, but yes, it's a good choice. Nobody does Copland as well as Cadets.

Edited by jjeffeory

Cadets seem once again balanced in all sections, The Corps Guard will have uniforms, all manner of color will be added... nothing really unique musically, visually, percussion here, imo....but very accessible show, narration is narration, but the damage was limiting this time around from previous Cadets narration, imo.... was looking for more punch from the mid show brass jam section piece we're now used to from the Cadets, but was not particularly thrilled with that musical arrangement of that on first take,...but I did like the Appalachin Spring arrangement however. 'Thought it had a new and nice twist from earlier version arranging we've heard from other Corps..... as another poster mentioned, 44 Presidents did not stand on the Capitol Steps and take the Oath there as the narration said, so they'll need to get their facts straight... I can see this show having a big company front closer with the emotional pull they're looking for, and will probably get from national audiences, imo.... Some might view this show as vanilla, with a straight forward unabashed patriotism tug attempt and a display of traditional Americana, and they're probably right, but if my alternative option provided to me to vanillia ice cream is to have exotic rum raisin sorbet instead, well, I'll take the former... they'll be changes after changes no doubt, stuff added, and tweaks galore, and once the brass line feels comfortable with their drill, the brass line will sound even stronger, more confident, thus even better... all in all, Cadets look to me to be in the talented shape one would expect them to be here on June 8th.

Thank you Cadets for bringing us fans an early preseason glimpse of your show at practice. Its appreciated..

Edited by BRASSO

One thing interesting that I noticed.. Last year's closer ended not with the fast paced drill and in your face music we are accustomed to. I recall George in an earlier webcast or interview saying The Cadets would return to that Cadet-style closer this year. I didn't see where that fit in tonight. It seemed like the closer ended with that slow moving company front and then dissolved from there. I hope there is more to come! I much prefer the typical in your face ending they do so well.

Edited by JustinDMoore

One thing interesting that I noticed.. Last year's closer ended not with the fast paced drill and in your face music we are accustomed to. I recall George in an earlier webcast or interview saying The Cadets would return to that Cadet-style closer this year. I didn't see where that fit in tonight. It seemed like the closer ended with that slow moving company front and then dissolved from there. I hope there is more to come! I much prefer the typical in your face ending they do so well.

They didn't have the drill on the field tonight for the closer.

They didn't have the drill on the field tonight for the closer.

I'm aware of that... I'm referring to the music.. which will reflect the style of drill to be seen.

Edited by JustinDMoore

And I've been able to detect your obstinance on first read.

You'll see ramps, frisbees, stages and that's not even counting what furnishings BD will bring out so I would try to view the shows and not the objects on the frontline otherwise it will be a dismal season for you.

not for ,me....lol......for me its the total package as one relates to another. I chose to look at the enhancement

Edited by GUARDLING