The Cadets - 2014

it is too bad patriotism isn't "cool" these days... speaks volumes about the times and our "leadership"

For some reason, patriotic shows, especially ones that might win, are often criticized. I don't really get it. Star of Indiana 92 got loads of criticism at a time when one would have expected patriotism to be very high.

Of course, Cadets and Coats 95 were popular. It must have been the "leadership."

it is too bad patriotism isn't "cool" these days... speaks volumes about the times and our "leadership"

Well, patriotism has been linked with politics and even specific political parties over the last few years and those are justifiably uncool! lol

oh, and the Cadets show is already nearly over time. If they were going to add a tag ending they would need to cut out another part of the show. I think a tag ending is all but a pipe dream at this point.

Edited by charlie1223

...and the Cadets show is already nearly over time. If they were going to add a tag ending they would need to cut out another part of the show. I think a tag ending is all but a pipe dream at this point.

I think we should wait until Atlanta to see what is going to happen with the ending. Personally, the flow of this show is really starting to gel, and the story is as clear as can be. At some point, one should ask what is more important-the story or a frenetic ending. Obviously, it's the story. However, it's too bad LOS isn't an open dome stadium, or Hop go have fireworks shot off in the background during Simple Gifts like the fire trucks wailing in 2002. There's no rule against random fireworks OUTSIDE the stadium, right? :cool:

George Dixon, on 21 Jul 2014 - 5:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Well, patriotism has been linked with politics and even specific political parties over the last few years and those are justifiably uncool! lol

oh, and the Cadets show is already nearly over time. If they were going to add a tag ending they would need to cut out another part of the show. I think a tag ending is all but a pipe dream at this point.

It's because patriotism isn't art. It's propaganda. Or kitsch.

Great art tends to take a critical, questioning stance toward society or the human experience.

Shoddy art appels to easy emotions and aims straight for the middle class sensibility.

Anytime people from any country start waving flags, I run in the opposite direction.

Edited by zigzigZAG
  • Like 3

It's because patriotism isn't art. It's propaganda. Or kitsch. Great art tends to take a critical, questioning stance toward society or the human experience.

Religious faith isn't art either, but there's been a hell of a lot of great art created in its honor.

George Dixon, on 21 Jul 2014 - 5:32 PM, said:snapback.png

It's because patriotism isn't art. It's propaganda. Or kitsch.

Great art tends to take a critical, questioning stance toward society or the human experience.

Shoddy art appels to easy emotions and aims straight for the middle class sensibility.

Anytime people from any country start waving flags, I run in the opposite direction.

You are confusing art with propaganda. They are not two words that mean the same thing necessarily.

• Like 2

You are confusing art with propaganda. They are not two words that mean the same thing necessarily.

I'm saying that art in the service of patriotism is propaganda. Patriotic "art" is the kind of stuff you find in countryside boutiques - wooden bird feeders painted like the american flag and all things Americana - and at Cracker Barrel.

Art in service of anything becomes pedantic or kitschy or just mediocre.

Third Symphony - masterpiece.

Appalachian Spring - masterpiece and popular.

Lincoln Portrait - popular.

Sorry, but Copland's just wearing a bit thin with me as I age. With so many contemporary composers out there, I hope that corps seek them out, and seek the new year in and year out. I hadn't heard Short Ride in a Fast Machine until the first camp, and it blew me away. I bet the Cadets introduced that piece to many thousands that year. Angels in the Architecture was also new for me. Wow! I could go on, but you get my point.

We need to appeal to innovation and beauty first, rather than the heartstring-tuggin' crutch of patriotism.

I think Cadets in their new ending should just try to be AWESOME, to add demand, and perform the hell out of it, rather than pull any patriotic tricks or anything over-the-top involving fire engines or other iconography of Americana.

• Like 3