The Cadets - 2014

Gorgeous

Those Holsinger shows were killer. In fact everything the Cadets did in the 90's was killer.

• Like 1

I'm saying that art in the service of patriotism is propaganda. Patriotic "art" is the kind of stuff you find in countryside boutiques - wooden bird feeders painted like the american flag and all things Americana - and at Cracker Barrel.

Art in service of anything becomes pedantic or kitschy or just mediocre.

Third Symphony - masterpiece.

Appalachian Spring - masterpiece and popular.

Lincoln Portrait - popular.

Sorry, but Copland's just wearing a bit thin with me as I age. With so many contemporary composers out there, I hope that corps seek them out, and seek the new year in and year out. I hadn't heard Short Ride in a Fast Machine until the first camp, and it blew me away. I bet the Cadets introduced that piece to many thousands that year. Angels in the Architecture was also new for me. Wow! I could go on, but you get my point.

We need to appeal to innovation and beauty first, rather than the heartstring-tuggin' crutch of patriotism.

I think Cadets in their new ending should just try to be AWESOME, to add demand, and perform the hell out of it, rather than pull any patriotic tricks or anything over-the-top involving fire engines or other iconography of Americana.

You've become jaded and bitter. Don't let the fact that politicians wrap themselves in the flag when it benefits them ruin your ability to feel patriotic. There are a lot of flaws in our country, yet there isn't a better one to live in that I know of. Now c'mon, have some apple pie and go light a sparkler!! That's the spirit!!

• Like 2

some very nice drum footage from yesterday - really cleaning up nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJrSbyIbbM

Lots of testosterone there..

Have you considered the Jefferson Memorial? Mount Rushmore? The Vietnam Memorial?

There's great art and bad art in all genres. Picking out the mediocre and painting with a broad brush is kinda disingenuous, don't you think?

The pseudo-religious memorials to political leaders in DC are basically a ripoff from the Parthenon, which was a temple for Athena. So no, they're not great art. Mount Rushmore took a perfectly beautiful mountain and turned it into a tourist attraction. What's great art about carving someone's head into a mountain with dynamite and jackhammers? If you make a mistake, well, then you've just added a scar from chicken pox. And the Vietnam Memorial, while graceful, has emotional content because of the immense tragedy of that entire war, started based on a lie (Golf of Tonkin "attack") just like another more recent war I can think of, when everyone was waving flags and shouting down critics who pointed out that it was quite obvious that the justifications for war were fabrications.

There is so much baggage with patriotism, and patriotism in art, if it must be there, should be toned down. Understatement should rule the day.

But if, as an earlier poster, we're talking about adding demanding, whiplash drill, because a Cadets show without it would be "unpatriotic", well, then, call me a patriot.

I respect the Bluecoats' show because it's simply using its concept and innovations to connect with the audience. Cadets are at their best when they do the same, as they've done so many times over the decades.

• Like 2

Looks like the 5th tenor is out?

Also out is the 8th snare...temporarily I hope.

some very nice drum footage from yesterday - really cleaning up nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJrSbyIbbM

Becoming more comparable to the 2013 line.

The pseudo-religious memorials to political leaders in DC are basically a ripoff from the Parthenon, which was a temple for Athena. So no, they're not great art. Mount Rushmore took a perfectly beautiful mountain and turned it into a tourist attraction. What's great art about carving someone's head into a mountain with dynamite and jackhammers? If you make a mistake, well, then you've just added a scar from chicken pox. And the Vietnam Memorial, while graceful, has emotional content because of the immense tragedy of that entire war, started based on a lie (Golf of Tonkin "attack") just like another more recent war I can think of, when everyone was waving flags and shouting down critics who pointed out that it was quite obvious that the justifications for war were fabrications.

There is so much baggage with patriotism, and patriotism in art, if it must be there, should be toned down. Understatement should rule the day.

But if, as an earlier poster, we're talking about adding demanding, whiplash drill, because a Cadets show without it would be "unpatriotic", well, then, call me a patriot.

I respect the Bluecoats' show because it's simply using its concept and innovations to connect with the audience. Cadets are at their best when they do the same, as they've done so many times over the decades.

Can w e PLEASE keep the politics out of the thread. That's not what I come here for.

Looks like the 5th tenor is out?

The number of tenor players for the Cadet was fluctuated greatly this season. Going back through all the shows on the FN, the count is s follows: 6/18 - 4 6/21 - 4 6/29 - 5 7/5 - 5 7/2 - 3 7/14 - 3 and 7/19 - 4.