The Cadets - 2014

Talking all the way through it. I mean, it's a classic poem, but there's a lot of talking. I love it, but the Cadets have been criticized for less talking.

I'll probably have to go back and watch it again; I had the impression that it was about as much narration as BK. I can see why the Colts would be controversial though.

It was moderninzed to meet the demands of marching contemporary drum corps. When I marched, getting into the uniform required a delicate combination of buttons, zippers, velcro and safety pins that had to be just right, lest the whole thing blow out at speed.

Those were the days. It was nice the 2 or 3 times a season they got dry cleaned, but setting up the whole operation again was a nightmare. And remember we didn't have quite enough buckles? We hoarded ours like gold so we wouldn't be the unlucky one without.

I'll probably have to go back and watch it again; I had the impression that it was about as much narration as BK. I can see why the Colts would be controversial though.

I mean, I saw it last night for the first time. And loved it! To your point, I don't hear people complaining about BK and their talking. I have heard criticism of Colts, but some of my students liked them best of all!

I won't disagree that other groups are also doing difficult things. To be fair, there aren't a lot of groups beating them in anything :)

But just because it might be less compelling to you doesn't make it safe. The tempi, the musical vocabulary and the body work are all extraordinarily difficult to achieve and the clean. Crown has the moment with all the trumpets spread across the field and the flying discs. BD has the jarring Fellini like "acting" sequences. Coats have WGI like opening "staging" that is less drill-y than others. There are other great moments this year as well, and I appreciate many of them. None of that negates that Cadets are not just clean but clean while doing really difficult stuff. That is most definitely not safe. As for predictable, I guess it's predictable for them to be hauling at 200 bpm ( yes, I got out the Dr. Beat and checked). It's also predictable to try things that people will criticize just so it's out there. The narrator, the costume changes, the stage, the tarps, the in your face optimism. So, yes, controversy ( although why this show is controversial is beyond me) may be predictable for them. Of course, I have to wonder why this show is so controversial and Troopers is not. Or Oregon Crusaders (with a spectacular horn line!) for that matter.

To focus on where we agree, the Cadets are doing some awesomely difficult stuff and doing it very well. You'll get no argument from me, and that's the appeal of their program. But the same is true for BD, Bluecoats and Crown.

Where you see controversy, I see another replay of a very familiar formula. In 2005 it was Iwo Jima, In 2002 it was the Pledge of Allegiance and the 9/11 firemen. This year it's the Gettysburg Address and "Yes we can". In 1995 they played Swing Swing Swing, in 2002 Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, in 2014 the Burlesque part of Music for Theater. But these basically interchangeable pieces played basically the same role at basically the same point in all 3 shows. This stuff isn't controversial, it's boring because it's completely hackneyed.

I don't think it's impossible to do an interesting, thoughtful, moving patriotic show, but Cadets 2014 isn't it.

To focus on where we agree, the Cadets are doing some awesomely difficult stuff and doing it very well. You'll get no argument from me, and that's the appeal of their program. But the same is true for BD, Bluecoats and Crown.

Where you see controversy, I see another replay of a very familiar formula. In 2005 it was Iwo Jima, In 2002 it was the Pledge of Allegiance and the 9/11 firemen. This year it's the Gettysburg Address and "Yes we can". In 1995 they played Swing Swing Swing, in 2002 Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, in 2014 the Burlesque part of Music for Theater. But these basically interchangeable pieces played basically the same role at basically the same point in all 3 shows. This stuff isn't controversial, it's boring because it's completely hackneyed.

I don't think it's impossible to do an interesting, thoughtful, moving patriotic show, but Cadets 2014 isn't it.

Fair enough. I will agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Why would Oregon Crusaders be controversial?

Narration ( or actually it was a recorded sample of James Earl Jones saying "Nevermore"), which got some comments around here from one particular poster of it being a poor excuse, James Earl Jones wannabe ( when it was a sample of him! lol)

Stringed Instrument being featured prominently in the pit.

• Like 1

I don't feel like digging through all the pages on this thread, so my apologies ahead over time if this has been answered once a day for all- is the narrator speaking live, lip syncing to his own voice, or a mixture of both?

I'm not sure how that looks modern in any form but I agree that isn't the best look on them.

I've discussed this before so I know how frazzled everyone gets at the suggestion of the Cadets changing their uniforms but I stand by my opinion that their look has gotten a bit stale.

Good thing most people disagree with you.

• Like 1