The Cadets - 2014

When does making something about "education" mean it needs to be done NOW and DIRTY???? Education is about being SMART. PERIOD.

I hate when people use "education" as reason to have corps actually look and sound worse than they normally would. You are 100% wrong with everything you said.

In your opinion.

And I'm not the one using "education" as a reason, I'm rebutting the gazillions of times people jump in saying "scores don't matter, its about the education the kids are getting". Fact is, scores DO matter, otherwise there wouldn't be constant changes to the show to appease the judges, and new things wouldn't be held back until they are "really clean" solely for the fact that if they were introduced earlier their scores would go down.

So tell me, what is SMARTER, education-wise - doing the new stuff in a show giving you an extra practice session on it, or not doing it because your score may go down since it may not be as clean as the older/throw-away stuff that is currently being done?

In your opinion.

And I'm not the one using "education" as a reason, I'm rebutting the gazillions of times people jump in saying "scores don't matter, its about the education the kids are getting". Fact is, scores DO matter, otherwise there wouldn't be constant changes to the show to appease the judges, and new things wouldn't be held back until they are "really clean" solely for the fact that if they were introduced earlier their scores would go down.

So tell me, what is SMARTER, education-wise - doing the new stuff in a show giving you an extra practice session on it, or not doing it because your score may go down since it may not be as clean as the older/throw-away stuff that is currently being done?

Based on what I can tell from GH updates through the summer, they HAVE been practicing planned changes ahead of time, before debuting them. You don't have to be performing it in competition in order to practice it in rehearsal. I think GH said today they had already practiced some new music, then they're trying to choose the best time to put them in -- aka once they're clean enough, and yes to some extent for drama.

If scores didn't matter, they wouldn't be doing what they're doing. They're choosing to participate in a competitive circuit. They want to have a good experience, work with great people and staff, perform for fans, and YES THEY WANT TO WIN. GH instills in the MMs year in and year out that the scoring is subjective and their competitive success is in the hands of a few judges and their perceptions -- all they can do is perform at their best, try to reach the fans, and YES TRY TO REACH THE JUDGES.

It's okay guys. Frachel clearly would rather the Cadets put in changes immediately and present a half ###ed performance for the audience rather than have the Cadets put out the best product possible.

That's a simplified version of Frachel's point of course but it gets the point across.

Edited by Cappybara

why?

Chattanooga2014_stretch_tarps.jpg

What...

.... the....

......... ef.

• Like 1

In your opinion.

OK scores do matter, after all someone has to walk away Saturday night in Indy as the DCI champion. Let me ask you this....how much have you hung around or volunteered for any of the drum corps who are competing this summer? I can't speak for the other corps but the Cadets do not concern themselves with scores, however, they do try to maximize their show based off the critiques the staff attends to get the best possible score. That score is in the hands of a panel on any given night. All these kids can do is perform at the highest level possible and be happy with that. That philosophy seems to work for the Cadets, have you seen their throphy case at their office in Allentown?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

......I'm gonna reserve my judgement until after I see the show again.....

I'm not.

There's such a thing as overkill. 20-yard digital image tarps staring at the audience for 11 minutes falls into that category.