The Cadets - 2014

I'm told that sweet tea tends to taste much better after consuming 8 cold drafts of Guinness.

Heck.... everything tastes better after, or with, 8 cold drafts of Guinness!!!! :tongue:

I never got the sweet tea thing. I learned to like the grits and biscuits and gravy, but the sweet tea is still a mighty struggle for this child of the snow. Do you have any pointers for me in how I can acquire a taste for it?

add some lemonade to it and make an arnold palmer..yummmm

• Like 1

Heck.... everything tastes better after, or with, 8 cold drafts of Guinness!!!! :tongue:

" True, you can sit outside in Paris and sip little tiny cups of coffee, but why this is considered more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey, I don't know. "

P. J. O' Rourke, Satirist, Writer.

I never got the sweet tea thing. I learned to like the grits and biscuits and gravy, but the sweet tea is still a mighty struggle for this child of the snow. Do you have any pointers for me in how I can acquire a taste for it?

Water it down to lessen the sweetness or add some alcohol to it. After a while you won't mind it...

....... DCP generally reacts negatively to any kind of evolution in drum corps.

My negative reactions to this show aren't from anything evolutionary in it.

They arise due to the exact opposite.... There's nothing evolutionary about it.

• Like 1

My negative reactions to this show aren't from anything evolutionary in it.

They arise due to the exact opposite.... There's nothing evolutionary about it.

If you like the change it's "evolution". How could anyone not like "evolutionary" changes? It's an attempt to frame the argument, such that if you are against it, there's something wrong with you. I agree, adding an amplifier is hardly "evolution". Nor is a synthesizer, or narration, or a Bb trumpet. Or emoting. It's all change, that's true. I see it as change for the sake of change, hardly evolution.

• Like 1

If you like the change it's "evolution". How could anyone not like "evolutionary" changes? It's an attempt to frame the argument, such that if you are against it, there's something wrong with you. I agree, adding an amplifier is hardly "evolution". Nor is a synthesizer, or narration, or a Bb trumpet. Or emoting. It's all change, that's true. I see it as change for the sake of change, hardly evolution.

I agree, but I think it's a fine line. Asymmetrical drill could be argued to have been "change for change's sake" back in the day. But I see that as one of the more evolutionary steps in the activity.

My beef with Cadets' design team is that there's not even any "change for change's sake" evolutions in this program. The music's been done. Narration's been done. Even the ramp is practically ripped from Blue Star's ReBourne show. Which, btw, is apparently admittedly going to effect line-of-sight down low, in smaller stadiums, so Sacktig is trying to keep the corps back far enough in an attempt to minimize any adverse viewing.

Limiting Your Own Field Use.... Evolutionary.

• Like 1

I agree, but I think it's a fine line. Asymmetrical drill could be argued to have been "change for change's sake" back in the day. But I see that as one of the more evolutionary steps in the activity.

My beef with Cadets' design team is that there's not even any "change for change's sake" evolutions in this program. The music's been done. Narration's been done. Even the ramp is practically ripped from Blue Star's ReBourne show. Which, btw, is apparently admittedly going to effect line-of-sight down low, in smaller stadiums, so Sacktig is trying to keep the corps back far enough in an attempt to minimize any adverse viewing.

I agree (again). I was thinking about....what was the last really *evolutionary* change. Dissolving the 50 yard line is what I came up with. And that was 34 or so years ago.

Leaving aside 2011, this year sounds pretty well in line with most of the Cadets' designs from the last 10 years: weak concept, not very exciting on paper, probably ok in the end thanks to their always high level of instruction/performance. There's definitely a possibility for '08 levels of design fail here, but I think it's more likely that we'll get some bland narration and a good performance of some tunes that really should be put out to pasture.

• Like 2