I'm suddenly feeling old

Thanks, Michael. You're only as old as your spirit. Thanks for continuing to share it with us after all these years (!).

• Like 1

Someone once said to me... " I came because of the Drum Corps.. I stayed because of the people ". MB's article here illustrates it best.

• Like 4

Bob was one of the first people I met the day I auditioned at Suncoast back in '84. He was at the sign-up table, and made sure to speak to every single kid that walked in the door, in order to make them feel more comfortable and welcome. He was always the first one on his feed clapping when they corps did something, from a short brass segment to a full uniformed performance.

I was sad to hear of his passing. He really WAS Suncoast Sound.

• Like 3

Know the feeling too Mike as thought hit me the other day that my 40th of joining a corps and 35th of winning American Legion was coming up this year. <pause 2 seconds> Oh crap... that was last year when they hit as it's 2014 already. This month will be returning my equipment to the corps I spent the last few years with as real life has gotten in the way. Also the only field shows we probably see will be on the Internet for the same reason. But... still get emails from three corps so I can follow them and the friends I made at all three places. And definitely still "talk" to them even if it's emails and postings her and FB.

And still shaking my head at the people I've met thru corps. This meatball non-musician Bari has done quite well thanks to the nice people in corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I just realized that I've entering my fourth decade of writing for DCI, having first written for what used to be called the DCI Contest Guild in 1984, followed by the LP liner notes that year. This came after a few years of writing for Drum Corps News, followed by a much longer and most wonderful time with Drum Corps World.

While some things over the years have been more fun than others, I've really enjoyed the entire time and especially have enjoyed the people I've met along the way. I was reminded of that this past Friday when my best friend Bob Abben, co-founder of Suncoast Sound, passed away at the age of 92. I flew down to Tampa Bay to be with him on his 90th birthday in 2012 and after spending three days with him this past July, spoke with him on the phone almost every other day, right up until he left for the hospice four days before he passed and could no longer talk.

One of my favorite moments with Bob was when I was with him on his 90th birthday. Bob was a HUGE fan of Boston Crusaders. I had mentioned to Crusaders' Executive Director Tom Spatero that it was going to be Bob's 90th and asked if he would call on that day, which he did. Bob just lit up when he heard who was on the line. Another favorite moment was one year when DCI was in Madison. Bob was also a HUGE fan of Troopers, and especially Jim Jones. After the show, I was at a mini mart across from the dorm where Bob and I were staying...an easy walk from the stadium. Jim and his wife Grace were buying sandwiches and I mentioned to Jim that Bob was a big fan of his and that he would be tickled if they would stop by to enjoy their sandwiches in the room. They agreed to do so and I went back to the room and woke Bob up...he had just one to bed. Bob was not happy when I told him I had invited someone over, but he got up and got dressed to look presentable. Then there was a knock on the door, I opened it, Bob saw who it was and exclaimed, "MR. JONES!" I then became a fly on the wall as they spent over an hour talking about the old days of drum corps and various VFW contests.

When I think of my experiences with DCI, I don't think of the contests and the performances, although I've enjoyed them all. I think of the people I've been blessed to meet and if I'm blessed with another 30 years on this planet, I'll be writing and blogging from each of those DCI World Championships, regional shows, and hopefully still doing some of my other projects with DCI. Several years ago I was at a DCI Board of Directors meeting and Dan Acheson asked the directors to share why the did drum corps. Colts director Greg Orwoll stated, "I do drum corps because I don't know how not to do drum corps." I felt that cut to the chase of why most of us are involved in the activity, whether as marchers, instructors, supporters or fans in the stands. We couldn't have the activity without each of those.

I'm not sure why I was inspired to write this...I just started typing and so many thoughts came to mind. Bob's passing had me thinking about the people I've met, my friends who are no longer around, (thinking of you in particular, Bill Cook), and the people I don't see in person nearly enough. I've loved (and love) them all and without them, my life would be quite empty. I trust most—if not all—of you feel the same way about the people you've come to know in drum corps, whether or not you're currently active in the activity as a spectator or in some other capacity.

I've been blessed and I hope to continue to be with the people I love long into the future. Let's all enjoy the ride!

This post should be automatically used as a reply to every negative "Oh My God, it's not drum corps any more" or "These kids don't get it" thread that appears.

You've successfully (of course) put your finger on the pulse of what's truly great and unique in our activity, i.e. the relationships.

Thanks (as usual). Sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

Boo,

It's because of drum corps I've gotten to know great people like you, and my daughter loves the pink drum sticks you got her when she was born. her traditional grip is a little shaky, but she's 19 months and the hands are still small.

the day will come when she attends the DCI Eastern Classic in Allentown, and you can come over to Pineville and meet her in person.I'll be sure she has her sticks

• Like 2

Drum corps is one of the rare things in life that, even after you think you've left it, it's never left you. Even if you go years without thinking of it, memories can come back almost as vivid as the day you experienced them. If you're as lucky as I am, your kids get involved too, and you enjoy seeing them grow as young adults and take the activity - along with their own maturation and abilities - to a much higher level than you ever thought possible. Drum corps is lifetime achievement.

I could feel old... rather I just feel proud!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3