DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Sir you are absolutely off the mark here.

While marching bands have progressed tons from John Phillips Sousa style Box drill marching it's still band.

On the other hand the art form that we once called drum and bugle corps is nothing more that modern band. I really see no difference in the two today with the exception of the woodwind voice. And regardless of the chatter and noise about how the directors don't want it... Yesterday's vote proves they are working in that direction. The direction of a all inclusive drum and band field and dance ensemble.

No, he is absolutely on the mark.

Example here in NJ:

Through the 70's and onward...

Bands started to hire corps arrangers and drill writers, and competition circuits started, sometime sponsored by judging associations looking for work as drum corps faded away (NJA and MAA come to mind in my area). Corps marching members went into Music Ed and became band directors in larger numbers, bring the 'corps style' with them.

Winter guard circuits added scholastic divisions that eventually far outnumbered the independent divisions that used to be packed with drum corps color guards.

He is indeed on the mark in that bands adopted drum corps, at least those that wanted that type of experience for their students.

No, he is absolutely on the mark.

Example here in NJ:

Through the 70's and onward...

Bands started to hire corps arrangers and drill writers, and competition circuits started, sometime sponsored by judging associations looking for work as drum corps faded away (NJA and MAA come to mind in my area). Corps marching members went into Music Ed and became band directors in larger numbers, bring the 'corps style' with them.

Winter guard circuits added scholastic divisions that eventually far outnumbered the independent divisions that used to be packed with drum corps color guards.

He is indeed on the mark in that bands adopted drum corps, at least those that wanted that type of experience for their students.

I think you both are essentially making the same point: over the years the lines have blurred like crazy between drum corps and marching bands. Bands adapted to drum corps style decades ago, and at this point I think it's about 50/50 on where the innovations are (in BOA or DCI - heck maybe WGI is probably more innovative than either)

You're not going to see full lines of french horns, trombones or sousaphones. You may see them used as solo or small ensemble instruments, and for sound or visual effects. I'm totally fine with this rule change.

That's what I'm thinking, too. More for a special effect than anything else.

Our generation brags about the age at which we stopped asking for, or stopped getting, support from our parents. Today, they're kids until they are 26 as a matter of national policy.

I get what you're saying, and I recognize how a generalized attitude of entitlement may play into the challenges of drum corps, but on this particular point: I've spoken with a few people whose grown children in their early 20s who (a) were unable to find jobs that included health insurance and (b) have preexisting conditions that made it impossible for them to purchase insurance on their own.

Didn't drum corps start to move toward marching bands when they began performing on football fields?

I think you both are essentially making the same point: over the years the lines have blurred like crazy between drum corps and marching bands. Bands adapted to drum corps style decades ago, and at this point I think it's about 50/50 on where the innovations are (in BOA or DCI - heck maybe WGI is probably more innovative than either)

WGI is imitative, not innovative. They are often trying to look like other existing art forms. Drum corps has started to use that approach too, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

What's funny is that the stuff in drum corps people on the street used to think was cool was the stuff that drum corps did that you couldn't find anywhere else. So they weren't trying to show off dance work; they left that to dancers.

While we've been busy trying to turn people who can do flag and rifle work into dancers, the precision of the equipment work they do has suffered to the point where the "artistic" softness of the work makes it look weak and sloppy - exactly the opposite of what people used to find interesting about it.

Oh well. At least the drumlines still look cooler than anything else in the real world.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

This could actually be cool for solos. Like the solo from Blue Stars last year on a tenor trombone, or the Bluecoats solo from 2010. There's been a few times when a trombone or French Horn could sounds great for a solo.

Or perhaps a chamber-music ensemble of some sort. All sorts of possibilities here.

Has anyone created a petition to remove crying about silly changes in DCI?

Saying adding trombones and other brass instruments will lead to the inclusion of woodwinds, is quite similar to the argument of gay marriage will lead to people marrying sheep.

/facepalm

You sir or madame, win this thread!! :thumbup::thumbup:

• Like 1

So if I understand you correctly, you're predicting that they'll be no 76 trombones in the future ?

Only in the big parade.

Wait...the Madison Scouts made this proposal? I was already upset that they moved to Bloominton, Indiana, but this could seriously affect future Alumni financial donations. If this is true, Scout alumni will not be happy about this at all. This is just un-freaking-believable.

Edited by FlamMan