DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

French horns don't project outside and trombones are slow for fast moving notes and are visually awkward on the field. Neither provide anything positive.

That's okay they will be mic'd.

Everyone I've ever marched with and I must be a rare breed still marching in this activity then. I'm extremely upset about this change. I joined this activity because of how unique the ensemble is. Honestly, I was hoping SoundSport would get rid of any proposal like this.

Sound Sport may be all they have left when this activity evaporates.

And the stupidity continues. How long will the clowns who run DCI be allowed to continue to run the Drum Corps activity into the ground? It should be clear to everyone that the Drum Corps activity began its decline at the same time that Drum Corps started looking & sounding more & more like marching bands. What made the Drum Corps activity great & so popular was the fact the Drum Corps were so much DIFFERENT than bands.

• Like 4

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

I'm age eligible to march until like 2019 or so, and I don't like this rule change, I mean maybe I'll warm up to it. But if I wanted to see trombones and such I'd go watch a BOA show.......And I personally don't enjoy BOA. I give them all the respect in the world but I just don't enjoy it. I think HS marching band should be fun. I play in a show band in my HS, and it's a blast going out and barking out Blues Brothers, Stevie Wonder or whatever every Friday night. If I want to go work my ### to be in a top tier performance group I'll do DCI (and I will). However I digress. As of right now, not huge on this new ruling.

• Like 1

Once again, Hopkins and his progressive changes through the years have led to this becoming a reality. Say goodbye to corps folks! If my corps uses trombones or french horns ever I will cry. I am ashamed at the board of directors and leadership in DCI to let this happen.

Madison proposed. take the dagger out of Hop

• Like 5

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

no offense, but many people that post here are involved in a myriad of ways.

as a solo instrument....i do see possibilities. I'd rather they not be there, as this to me is one more inch towards woodwinds. But I'm not ruling out it could be good.

of course so could synths, but time has yet to prove that one was a wise choice

This could actually be cool for solos. Like the solo from Blue Stars last year on a tenor trombone, or the Bluecoats solo from 2010. There's been a few times when a trombone or French Horn could sounds great for a solo.

...oh it'll be OK...Sousaphones won't really supersede the "contra" design (although a line of HELICONS, as suggested by Zig, would be, uh, hellacious!) Trombones will be a big deal because of the *voice* and there are a few FINE sounding three valve 'bones out there that would totally change the sound of "modern" hornlines...I think because of drill considerations, the sliders may stay on the sidelines...AFA french horns, unless they bring back the olde bell front frenchie (what? Go BACK in time?) they're in the pit and a wonderful addition...so, everything is still bell-front and the look of corps won't change...I'm fine with it...

...oh it'll be OK...Sousaphones won't really supersede the "contra" design (although a line of HELICONS, as suggested by Zig, would be, uh, hellacious!) Trombones will be a big deal because of the *voice* and there are a few FINE sounding three valve 'bones out there that would totally change the sound of "modern" hornlines...I think because of drill considerations, the sliders may stay on the sidelines...AFA french horns, unless they bring back the olde bell front frenchie (what? Go BACK in time?) they're in the pit and a wonderful addition...so, everything is still bell-front and the look of corps won't change...I'm fine with it...

..oh, and another thing...because Sousaphones are so prevalent, that's one big money headache to minimize for startups...

Edited by chasgroh
  • Like 1