DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I'm confused. I spent 10 years in the drumcorps activity. To me, drumcorps is about working your butt off (in extreme conditions) to achieve perfection. You can give my local high school all bell front brass instruments and take away the woodwinds, but that does not make them a drumcorps. Likewise, you can give the Santa Clara Vanguard trombones and that does not make them a marching band.

If drumcorps start rehearsing 3 days a week for 3 hours at a time and only do shows on Saturdays I will be upset. Until then, I don't see how this changes the activity. I will wait until I see how this is implemented and then make a final decision on how I feel. For now though, all I can say is....meh.

Z

I think about the schedule the Seven recommended...

I wonder which band will be the first to implement the changes.

I'm would assume the Madison Scouts band being that it was their proposal. Then again, based on past changes the Blue Devils and Cadets bands will be next.

I would assume the Phantom Regiment band won't make any changes right away. They never rush to implement new things.

• Like 1

Replying to sound of trombone (can't quote with IEv11).... Grab some old Tenor Baris that corps used 1930s-late 1950s. They sound more like a trombone but kind of a flatter sound. But.... hard to arrange with 1 valve....

Has anyone officially heard the vote tally? I'm at home and getting the news along with everyone else.

Seriously Mike, of all aren't you the most qualified here to have an email read by DCI today? Maybe a push would get them to post the details.

I keep waiting for FoxNews to pick it up...

:sarcasm:

• Like 1

I fail to see how if you put any number of trombones in Crowns hornline (1-16) they will begin to sound like a "marching band". Maybe I'm missing something, but I am going to want to hear Carolina Crown this summer...regardless of instrumentation.

Z

• Like 3

The goal here is to appeal to more kids and their free-spending parents. But I wonder how much the ranks of performers can swell under the current system. As it stands, and if we assume average marching ranks are, what, 90 across all corps? For all existing corps to be stuffed full at 150 that would amount to, what, about 3600 or 4000 more kids marching? At $3000 a year to participate that's, what, $10-MILLION new tour fee dollars? Effectively doublng he size of the activity's revenue? Hard to call that a bad business decision, eh?

But, of course, this action, if successful, will more benefit a corps the farther down the ranking you go. The full corps now won't be able to expand and maintain dominance if all the corps below are building their ranks. So, increasing the marching limit is soon in the future.

I'm still trying to imagine the difference in the sound or experience of allowing any brass. I kind of like the sound of any brass instrument. I'm not sure this decision is going to affect my enjoyment this year.

Edited by garfield

No one wants to see a sousaphone over a contra bass, right? Trombones - cool instruments, but in drum corps?

I can't believe the inclusion of these instruments would be anywhere other than in the front ensemble or used as a highlight instrument. But again, you've got to show me this one.

Edited by drumcorpsfever