DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I think we've been over this, but most drum corps don't really lose money on the horns they are buying at wholesale and turning around at the end of the season for slightly under. You'd have to look at their books to verify, but this was my understanding when I was working at Yamaha.

Yes, turning around the Bb horns and selling them as "Pre-Owned" has been a source of revenue for corps. They do not lose money, they make money. The manufacturers get more of their products into the field. True, there is the one time large capital investment up front, but it's better to put them into a resell-able product than to the G's which did not have the market to be resold. Not all corps turn around the full hornline each year obviously but it's one major part of the switch to Bb that people will continue to ignore. You couldn't sell the G's to scholastic or college programs. The switch to Bb horns has helped sustain the activity.

The same holds true for the percussion equipment although the front ensemble is typically on a two year resale cycle. As a director of an indoor drumline, selling our discounted equipment every two years has been a substantial continual source of revenue. It also allows our kids to play on the best equipment.

• Like 1

Yes, turning around the Bb horns and selling them as "Pre-Owned" has been a source of revenue for corps. They do not lose money, they make money. The manufacturers get more of their products into the field. True, there is the one time large capital investment up front, but it's better to put them into a resell-able product than to the G's which did not have the market to be resold. Not all corps turn around the full hornline each year obviously but it's one major part of the switch to Bb that people will continue to ignore. You couldn't sell the G's to scholastic or college programs. The switch to Bb horns has helped sustain the activity.

The same holds true for the percussion equipment although the front ensemble is typically on a two year resale cycle. As a director of an indoor drumline, selling our discounted equipment every two years has been a substantial continual source of revenue. It also allows our kids to play on the best equipment.

I just sent you a pm.

No they don't. There were lots of vocalists in drum corps before amplification, but it was understood that, just as you'd never be able to hear, say, one contra solo while the rest of the group was playing forte, you'd only be able to hear the vocals in special circumstances. It works that way in symphony orchestras too, you know.

Yes, they do.

As stated..."in order to balance with the brass and percussion"

Someone standing on the field yelling something to the stands is not what I meant by "vocalist".

As for orchestras with vocalists performing...they are often micced at concerts, and almost always in outdoor venues, from my experience.

We know the history of rule submissions done by him. When they passed it might not have been him that proposed it that year, but he's guilty for opening pandora's box.

George is also responsible for the current storm heading up the eastern seaboard. I thought he would have learned his lesson about that debacle with the Great Chicago Fire.

• Like 3

George is also responsible for the current storm heading up the eastern seaboard. I thought he would have learned his lesson about that debacle with the Great Chicago Fire.

lmao!!! True George is not the cause of all the changes we have seen. However, he certainly has, whether intentional or not, has positioned himself as the face of change in DCI.

What was the point of that response?

I could waste time debating your deliberate attempt to substitute marching band for drum corps, as if they are equivalent. But it makes no difference. Even if we accept that DCI = marching band, it still remains evident that fewer participate in the DCI activity now than did in 1975.

How many corps were DCI members in 1975? There were lots of local corps that did a DCI show or two on occasion, but how many were actually DCI member corps in 1975?

His perfectly valid point is that more kids are marching/competing today than ever did in 1975; it is not even close.

• Like 1

Without going through all the pages to see if it has already been mentioned...

Did anyone else catch the fact that DCI failed to mention trombones, French horns, and Sousaphones specifically in the article about the changes that was posted on their site? The article focused more on the phrase "any brass instrument". I'm guessing that was done intentionally so as to not further fan the flames with those that didn't already know.

They sure do try and spin things (i.e. attendance figures) - "Look over here at this bright, shiny object (and maybe they won't notice this other stuff over here)" or "Shhhh - if we don't talk about using trombones, French horns, or Sousaphones, maybe they won't be able to figure it out and won't be upset"...

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

Did anyone else catch the fact that DCI failed to mention trombones, French horns, and Sousaphones specifically in the article about the changes that was posted on their site? The article focused more on the phrase "any brass instrument". I'm guessing that was done intentionally so as to not further fan the flames with those that didn't already know.

They sure do try and spin things (i.e. attendance figures) - "Look over here at this bright, shiny object (and maybe they won't notice this other stuff over here)" or "Shhhh - if we don't talk about using trombones, French horns, or Sousaphones, maybe they won't be able to figure it out and won't be upset"...

You're assuming that people are stupid. There isn't exactly any way you can spin "any brass" and not have it mean anything other than "any brass". Plus, JD Shaw has a quote in the article saying:

“If I were to put a trombone solo on the field and the audience hated it, I would change it. However, if I were able to make the audience love that moment, then we've created something new and exciting.”

So it seems pretty obvious by that statement that trombones would be something that could now be used under the new rule. The article really makes no distractions from stating what the rule actually allows while also informing the readers about some facts about this years attendance and profit numbers. If people don't understand what the term "any brass" means they can look up what a brass instrument is on Wikipedia.

Plus any qualms with how the article is written should be taken to Michael Boo here on DCP. He did after all write it!

Edited by charlie1223

I would still like to know the official tally...and officially which corps voted against the proposal rather than the generic membership voted "overwhelmingly"...

Well if true, it looks like the other George ( George Bush) might've caught a break.