What do you call a Drum Corps with Trombones and French Horns?

I've said it before and I'll say it again now; the REAL difference between drum corps and marching band is NOT the instrumentation. In a "nuts and bolts" sense, it is the restricted size of the group. In the performance sense, they will never, EVER be the same. No marching band will ever dedicate their lives to their show and performance the way a junior corps does. Therein lies the difference. Everything else is gravy.

The only time a marching band ever practices 8-12 hours a day is maybe at band camp. The only time a corps does that is every day. BIG DIFFERENCE.

• Like 4

I've said it before and I'll say it again now; the REAL difference between drum corps and marching band is NOT the instrumentation. In a "nuts and bolts" sense, it is the restricted size of the group. In the performance sense, they will never, EVER be the same. No marching band will ever dedicate their lives to their show and performance the way a junior corps does. Therein lies the difference. Everything else is gravy.

The only time a marching band ever practices 8-12 hours a day is maybe at band camp. The only time a corps does that is every day. BIG DIFFERENCE.

He is totally spot on here!

I'm not too worried about it but these threads sure are hilarious. The sky is falling the sky is falling.

When did they start putting rotors on the competitive bugles for our uses? After the first War I'm assuming. Probably still before we hit the football field for the first time.

why stop with 1811 ? Didn't you know that " real " Drum Corps did not have brass instruments ? They had woodwinds, not bugles. They were, and are, called Fife and Drum Corps, and preceded the Drum and Bugle Corps. There are more Fife and Drum Corps in New England today ( and in South Carolina and much of the rest of the South as well ) than Drum and Brass Corps. The evolution is to come full circle perhaps with the eventual return of the woodwinds to Drum Corps eventually. Just learn to be be patient and keep positive about it all thats all... which I believe has been your advice all along if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by BRASSO

JimF has the more recent history, but as per my other posts, "actual bugles", as you put it, have included keyed instruments for at least 213 years now. So until this weekend, every brass instrument approved for use in DCI has in fact been a bugle.

You mean DCI hasn't approved keyed horns yet? How about the over the shoulder Civil War era horns that sat on the players shoulder and projected behind them. :tounge2:

Kidding as have a good idea of what you're talking about. Went to Henry Ford Museum in Dearborne, MI years ago with the antique car club. Everyone started by checking the old cars until someone noticed "Musical Instruments" on the tour map. With that my sister and I said "See Ya later" and made a bee line to that area. Followed by a beat up the credit card session at the gift shop (Ok they had some pamphlets and post cards of the instruments which I still have).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

why stop with 1811 ? Didn't you know that " real " Drum Corps did not have brass instruments ? They had woodwinds, not bugles. They were, and are, called Fife and Drum Corps, and preceded the Drum and Bugle Corps. There are more Fife and Drum Corps in New England today ( and in South Carolina and much of the rest of the South as well ) than Drum and Brass Corps. The evolution is to come full circle perhaps with the eventual return of the woodwinds to Drum Corps eventually. Just learn to be be patient and keep positive about it all thats all... which I believe has been your advice all along if I'm not mistaken.

I mentioned that, might not have been in this thread. Everyone is so up in arms about, "how it used to be!" why don't we actually go back to the roots and bring the fifes back? Then woodwinds would be included, and some people's heads might actually explode.

The same thing you call:

* a drum corps with electronics

* a drum corps with any key brass

* a drum corps with 3 valve brass in the key of G

* a drum corps with 2 valve brass in the key of G

* a drum corps with 1 valve brass in the key of G

* a drum corps with grounded percussion

* a drum corps with choreography in the color guard

* a drum corps without a flag honor guard

* a drum corps with asymmetrical drill

* a drum corps that allows females in any part of the unit

* a drum corps that does not have any affiliation whatsoever with any military or veterans unit

A DRUM CORPS.

Stop being so obtuse...

Now you're being acute. :tounge2:

Agree 100%.

Stating this in a slightly different way:

What distinguishes drum corps from marching band?

A) Excellence.

B) The member experience.

These are the consistent items that have survived *all* the changes and will continue to do so. Drum corps have *always* been 'marching bands' but marching bands will never be 'drum corps'.

Funny thing; they use to have French Horn lines in Drum Corps and they sounded so much better than Mellos but another funny thing, they were 'too hard' to play and march and the educators were not good enough to teach kids

So yeah, kids and staff proved already back in the 80’s they are not good enough to march French Horns

But now they can park it in the pit with a mic and pretend they can teach...another massive DCI Fail