Time for some market research

Time for some market research  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How does the recent vote for added brass instruments make YOU feel?

• I love it, and it makes me want to see a DCI Drum Corps now more than ever
    • I think I will like it, and that it may make me like the activity even more
    • It really doesn't have any effect on me at all
    • I think I won't like it, and that it may make me want to see DCI Drum Corps less than I do now
    • It makes me want to not even see a DCI corps anymore, now more than ever

I'm totally undecided as to how I should vote...as a 33-year band director...or as a 40-year LOVER of drum corps.......

I guess I don't see the need for this as all the sounds the "new" instruments can make are really no different than what the current instrumentation can make with the exception of a trombone glissando.

• Like 1

If you think DCP is "the market", I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

DCP is a market, one which apparently skews 56-26 against the all-brass rule, although the result getting the most votes is the choice I made: "doesn't have any effect". If you've got a poll of a broader market to share with us, by all means do so.

DCP is a market, one which apparently skews 56-26 against the all-brass rule, although the result getting the most votes is the choice I made: "doesn't have any effect". If you've got a poll of a broader market to share with us, by all means do so.

OK, even accepting that the posting audience here is "a market" for DCI (something I do not accept), let me rephrase:

If you think that the opinions of 82 self-selecting internet voters is valid "market research," you should take a stats class. Further, if you think that DCI cares at all about the opinions of those 82 voters, they just don't. The DCP user base is not the group that DCI is marketing to.

If you think that the opinions of 82 self-selecting internet voters...

Of course, 56+26+49=131, not 82. And there have been two more votes since I posted yesterday.

(To be fair, as per JohnZ's post on the previous page, seven of those votes must be discounted.)

OK, even accepting that the posting audience here is "a market" for DCI (something I do not accept)... If you think that DCI cares at all about the opinions of those 82 votes, they just don't. The DCP user base is not the group that DCI is marketing to.

First, regarding the passage that I bolded: do you realize that you've indicated that if I don't think DCI cares about a DCP poll, that DCI does care?

Second, and more importantly: I voted in this poll. And guess what? A little more than a week ago, DCI emailed me a survey! And I'm not the only DCP member who received that email. Granted, the survey was about a different subject, but clearly you're wrong about DCI not marketing to DCP users.

Of course, 56+26+49=131, not 82.

Yeah, but you said...

DCP is a market, one which apparently skews 56-26 against the all-brass rule

...meaning that the 82 votes there were the important ones.

First, regarding the passage that I bolded: do you realize that you've indicated that if I don't think DCI cares about a DCP poll, that DCI does care?

Huh?

Second, and more importantly: I voted in this poll. And guess what? A little more than a week ago, DCI emailed me a survey! And I'm not the only DCP member who received that email. Granted, the survey was about a different subject, but clearly you're wrong about DCI not marketing to DCP users.

No... I'd be willing to bet that DCP doesn't sell email addresses to third parties. (If they do, remind me to close my account) The fact that you got such a survey (as have I many times over the years) has to do with the fact that you are on some DCI mailing list or bought something from DCI at some point.

The point is... you can trumpet a self-selecting, "home team" survey as being evidence of some consensus among the broader market, but that doesn't make it true. It's like going to a Rand Paul website and asking if Reagan was a better president than Obama.