uggh -- really?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/02/05/avonworth-teacher-charged-in-alleged-sexual-assault-of-child/

The guy charged in this video clip looks like he's wearing a Reading uniform.

surprised it hadn't hit here sooner. long storied career. so, so sad.

Firing squad. Every last one of these ####s.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

Eh weird and disgusting **** happens everywhere. We had a director way BITD when I was in school get fired/arrested because his wife came up missing. Well they later found her in pieces in trash bags in his trunk. But you can't let the freaks over shadow the great people who do it right and do great things with the kids.

a local director was fired this past fall for breaking rule #1 Jim. it just never hit the papers. Rule #1, also called DFTK.

Dang.... thought I knew where you meant (TWICE) but then remembered it wasn't this past fall.

Still waiting for the teen group volunteer (middle aged) at my old church to start his defamation lawsuit. He got told to quit being "overly huggy" with the girls and he flipped out..... Been 15 years or so and still waiting for my summons to appear in court as a witness or defendant. (His mother ragged about it to my mom and one of 'em couldn't get the story straight. And was my mom highly PO'ed when I said I couldn't tell her what was going on until the possible trial...)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Eh weird and disgusting **** happens everywhere. We had a director way BITD when I was in school get fired/arrested because his wife came up missing. Well they later found her in pieces in trash bags in his trunk. But you can't let the freaks over shadow the great people who do it right and do great things with the kids.

Google "Echoes in the Darkness" by Wambaugh. HS teacher murdered and her kids missing. Supposedly another teacher and the principal involved. Happened my last year at college and found her in my home area. My college roommate graduated from that HS and had a full page in his yearbook from the principal wishing everyone the best. Brrrrrrrrrr Even was made into a mini-series in the 1980s.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It's Rule #1-15. Rule #16 is show up on time, Rule #17 is Don't Suck. Rule #18-99 is again DFTK

Ugh. People like this are the reason my school district requires me to make anyone I want to bring in to work with my kids go through a stack of paperwork as long as my arm, and get all of it approved by the main office before they can come in. So a friend who just happens to be passing through town and wants to volunteer his time and expertise can't do so without going through that process. Red tape standing in the way of kids' education all because a few morons can't follow rule number 1.

In PA, if you want to work with a school band it costs 60 bucks to comply with three different background checks (PA State Police, PA Child Welfare, and FBI fingerprints). I'd like to consult with someone this year but one of the stipulations would be that the costs of this would be covered- I don't need to blow 60 bucks for the privilege of being a volunteer for a few days. Rather just go to Fogo de Chao and spend the money on a top notch dinner if that's gonna be the case.

Stuff like this has gone on for decades. BITD, it would usually be buried. Resign, get out the door. Go quietly, and we won't go after you. Individual would move on, usually not in teaching in the schools. Sometimes, get a college gig. Sometimes get into a school related business but not directly in teaching. Now, they'll put the perp in jail if there's enough evidence to prosecute.

Something had to be done instead of just burying the incident and hoping no one would notice. Also, the person sometimes shows up elsewhere later. I know of an instance where an individual had his teaching license revoked in one state after incidents involving 5 of his students and he turned up several years later staffing a band in a bordering state. The Chief Judge and I recognized him- took me awhile to place the face, and we talked to the Band Director privately:

Director: "Don't worry. I'm keeping an eye on him."

Me: (in total disbelief and my jaw scraping the floor) "You CAN'T keep an eye on someone like that!"

Chief Judge: "You keep him on your staff, we tell your parents about his previous history in the other state."

Me: (nods like a bobblehead on crack)

The guy was out the door pronto- hopefully before he was able to claim more victims.

It's a Catch-22 in some aspects. Schools like hiring the dashing, charismatic types to help recruit and build the program. 99.9 percent of those people are fantastic and extremely professional, but some use their charisma to take advantage of students.

Fellow corpsmate working with a band I was with had something going on behind the scenes with a student, kept it hidden from the rest of us, but was still discovered. Looking at the timeline of events after the fact, it was no coincidence his marriage collapsed around the time he was involved with the student, and he did jail time. Lost a good job in banking and ended up waiting tables at Denny's last I knew after he got out of jail.

What angers me about that mess was that I believe the school administration held his criminal behavior against the rest of us who had no idea what was going on and it may well have cost me the chance to take over the program when the director retired. Believe me, this is a sore spot with me. Why? I've interviewed against some of these individuals and lost out on a great job opportunity to a guy who ends up arrested. Maybe I'm not a flamin' ball of charisma and jet-jacked coolness, but I know rules number 1-16. :satisfied:

All any of us can do is maintain the utmost in professional behavior with students and to report anyone who doesn't.

Google "Echoes in the Darkness" by Wambaugh. HS teacher murdered and her kids missing. Supposedly another teacher and the principal involved. Happened my last year at college and found her in my home area. My college roommate graduated from that HS and had a full page in his yearbook from the principal wishing everyone the best. Brrrrrrrrrr Even was made into a mini-series in the 1980s.....

Jim, you know one of our horn staff staff at Westshore at the time was he Band Director at that HS? :satisfied:

Because the principal was an insane Froot Loop, pretty much the whole male faculty took his lead and were out of control.

One of my grad school profs taught the victim. Said she was a nice quiet lady.

The thing that will likely cause me to have nightmares when I head to bed after this post is the fate of her kids. There are two barrels of muriatic acid in some evidence room somewhere that they think Smith and Bradfield disposed of the kids in. Gah! Man... Fawber, you owe me a beer for this! :blink: