A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

Every year, DCA hosts the Alumni Spectacular as part of Championships Weekend. It's a show full of "old school" corps performing "old school shows". They look and sound almost exactly like the corps did in the 70's. To say it's even sparsely attended would be an overstatement (maybe a few hundred at most), and the average age of the audience was easily well over 60.

While the occasional DCI throwback performance may be fun (I enjoyed 27, Scouts, and Star), it's pretty much a non-starter on a regular basis, and that's filled with alumni. The chances you could fill a full corps (even at 128) with decent younger talent is so close to zero as makes no difference. Even if you could work a miracle and field one, it would be a curiosity at best, and and a disaster at worst.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Every year, DCA hosts the Alumni Spectacular as part of Championships Weekend. It's a show full of "old school" corps performing "old school shows". They look and sound almost exactly like the corps did in the 70's. To say it's even sparsely attended would be an overstatement (maybe a few hundred at most), and the average age of the audience was easily well over 60.

While the occasional DCI throwback performance may be fun (I enjoyed 27, Scouts, and Star), it's pretty much a non-starter on a regular basis, and that's filled with alumni. The chances you could fill a full corps (even at 128) with decent younger talent is so close to zero as makes no difference. Even if you could work a miracle and field one, it would be a curiosity at best, and and a disaster at worst.

The time slot is what killing attendance at that show. Everyone that is in town has either

1. Had a full day and night of drum corps on Friday and Sat.

2.. Have friends or family in corps they would rather spend time at rehearsal sites with

3. Have corps or staff obligations for finals.

4. Way to hung over from the night before to get up at 7am to make a 10am call time.

Alumniof don't let the antagonists get to you. You have it right. No need to get flustered.

If you go too far and get banned then we will lose your voice of reason. And that is what some folks want.

Alumniof don't let the antagonists get to you. You have it right. No need to get flustered.

If you go too far and get banned then we will lose your voice of reason. And that is what some folks want.

He's the one name calling and we're the antagonists? ... Okay.

Maybe he should start another thread with his voice of reason to further expound on just how right he is. He is in the sound business after all.

• Like 3

The time slot is what killing attendance at that show. Everyone that is in town has either

2.. Have friends or family in corps they would rather spend time at rehearsal sites with

4. Way to hung over from the night before to get up at 7am to make a 10am call time.

So what you are saying is that there is not sufficient interest even by the older alumni to bother seeing the type of corps being pushed in this thread.

You just proved John's point.

• Like 1

maybe you can answer the question then..he isnt.......not being confrontational just curious..............do you still go to shows? and if you do and feel the same...just asking why?.....I dont quite get it

Its a great question, actually. He's not really addressed it. I get that he hates modern day DCI Drum Corps. But why he just doesn't find another hobby to explore... one that might bring him more joy and fulfilment... escapes me. Its one thing to be unhappy with some aspect of the activity ( from time to time we all are here ), but thats entirely different than wanting to hang around a hobby that no longer brings you some level of joy. I have no idea where that thinking comes from, nor would compel me to want to hang around something that either bores me or makes me unhappy, sad, angry, or whatever. Theres a hundred hobbies out there that can bring one joy,satisfaction, enlightenment, or something positive. Why remain unhappy and frustrated ? Life's too short to waste it like that in my opinion. Thats my thoughts on his unhappiness, frustrations anyway. Oh well, it is what it is,, and thats that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

What's the point of going to a show? If the food sucks (wait, it was really hard too cook), why would you show up to a show? Pay money for what - marching band? Acid tripping drill designers using kids to ego trip themselves? When all DCI is a big eff-you to itself and me? Nah. I'll leave it to you crazies. However, I will be going to Allentown this year to "roll tape" and show you exactly what's happening - however, you've already proven that you'll deny video and audio. At least there's funnel cakes there.

You've asked some very good questions,, ie " whats the point of going to a show ? "... however you have left many of us puzzled as to why YOU continue to take the time and expense to go ?,... ie where the " food sucks "... the show " sucks "....etc, and yet incredibly, and mysterfyingly, you intend to take the time and expense AGAIN this summer to drive some distance AGAIN to make yourself miserable once more with sucky food, sucky shows, surrounded by apparently in your view. " crazy " people. . And you call others " crazy " ? I seriously don't get you, my friend. I've got LOTS of friends that have simply left this hobby. They are happy with their choice. You might want to find yourself another hobby, as this one clearly seems to be making you very unhappy and very miserable, and that doesn't seem like a sensible and sane way to me for one to spend their precious time. Oh well. Do what you want.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. Plus, for context, DCI has their I& E competitions ( not exhibitions ) of "the young " DCI'ers performed on outdoor sidewalks, in front of ice cream eating walk byers, curiousity seekers, and shoppers, etc,.. of all agers, and at no charge. These DCI young and supremely talented competitors involved in JUDGED COMPETITION and with the latest and newest instumentation, " modern " designs, & creativities, etc utilized in their competition, might find what ? 40-50 people tops in attendance numbers in their audience ?... and at no admission charge. So nobody should be criticizing the Alumni Spectacular EXHIBITION show attendance inside a stadium with PAID TICKET attendance on a Sunday Morning at 10 am. Good grief, its not like DCI is awash in public interest in their product offerings these days at Championships Week that they or their supporters can lecture anyone else on public interest and " attendance " at their Championships Week events.

Edited by BRASSO

Its a great question, actually. He's not really addressed it. I get that he hates modern day DCI Drum Corps. But why he just doesn't find another hobby to explore... one that might bring him more joy and fulfilment... escapes me. Its one thing to be unhappy with some aspect of the activity ( from time to time we all are here ), but thats entirely different than wanting to hang around a hobby that no longer brings you some level of joy. I have no idea where that thinking comes from, nor would compel me to want to hang around something that either bores me or makes me unhappy, sad, angry, or whatever. Theres a hundred hobbies out there that can bring one joy,satisfaction, enlightenment, or something positive. Why remain unhappy and frustrated ? Life's too short to waste it like that in my opinion. Thats my thoughts on his unhappiness, frustrations anyway. Oh well, it is what it is,, and thats that.

TOTALLY AGREE! Doesn't make sense at all.....then again dont we all know career complainers.......complaining for the sake of complaining....lol...as like others have said I also think there's more than one screen name also...oh well

• Like 1