Madison Scouts trombones?

So we all know that MS was in favor of the new law that permits all brass. I have been hearing things about Madison Scouts trombone auditions. Does this mean they will be any marching with them? Or just them auditioning for Bari on a trombone?

Supposedly this is a picture of Madison rehearsing their trombones at a camp but I really have no idea if this picture is true.

1912330_515028921951801_79975629_n.jpg

....but let's be rational for a moment....

Jdfuncorps said we should take a rational look at this and realize that we wouldn't be seeing trombones lines on the field...

:shutup: My head just exploded...

• Like 1

My guess is when they do "Concerto to End Concertos", they'll use them in the low brass feature in roughly in the middle of the actual composition. Just have to wait and see, but that's my guess on it- I'm willing to see how it all fits in before My thumb goes up or down. :satisfied:

That picture is not an official Madison Scouts photo.

While they were the corps to initially suggest the use of all brass instruments, they do not have a "trombone section" as a section of the corps, as Chris Komnick pointed out on the Scouts FB page.

To truly play Concerto to End All Concertos would not sound "correct" without glissandos, and I would like to hear trombones on that portion of the show.

I wouldn't go judging the corps though based solely on "I heard they are having auditions for trombones" or some picture that the corps didn't put up on their own.

The designers and instructors at MS are very talented and have nothing but the best interest of the performers and audience in mind. I would hold back judgement until you actually see with your own eyes or hear with your own ears what they are doing. If then you don't like it, you're entitled to your opinion.

That picture is not an official Madison Scouts photo.

While they were the corps to initially suggest the use of all brass instruments, they do not have a "trombone section" as a section of the corps, as Chris Komnick pointed out on the Scouts FB page.

Maybe not "official," but it is from a Scouts camp. Posted to the brass caption head's personal facebook page. :)

• Like 1

Maybe not "official," but it is from a Scouts camp. Posted to the brass caption head's personal facebook page. :)

Still doesn't indicate how much, if any are being used officially in the show. Testing sounds of a new rule doesn't promise anything.

They will be using them but only for a portion of the show.

Still doesn't indicate how much, if any are being used officially in the show. Testing sounds of a new rule doesn't promise anything.

I'd wager that the rule change was proposed to allow Madison to exercise an artistic concept that they had already baked into the show.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

To truly play "Concerto to End All Concertos" would not sound "correct" without glissandos

While I don't particularly object to Madison using trombones, by your argument,* drum corps should never have played 99% of the music that's been put on the field, since almost none of it was written originally for their instrumentation. (Barber's "Adagio for Strings" just doesn't sound correct without, well, strings, which is why the piece was such a disaster for SCV 2000, Buccaneers 2005, and Cadets 2013.) But 2muchcoffeeman has already said this much better than I could.

*Allowing that your use of scare quotes perhaps suggests you don't really believe the argument yourself.

• Like 1