The Inevitable Woodwind

Well, yeah, actually, but I guess I thought you'd know that. Drums and bugles in the parade format was born at the end of WWI. VFW, CYO and all those, you know.

I corrected your usage of an example in a rather feeble attempt to make Brasso laugh, and I taught you a little about what your evidence represents and, even about its artist that makes you wrong. If you can't see that there are no bugles in that portrait, then Brasso's doomed to ever make his point. Sorry if I ticked you off; I'd rather you humbly admit your error, learn something, and say thanks. I'm sure there's another piece of evidence you can use to poke Brasso that's more accurate in context.

I got the context of your "joke" just fine, but I'm curious how you typing slower will help me read your words. Perhaps better evidence is all that's necessary.

Lighten up, Lucy, my post was meant in the exact same tone as yours was.

Did you know that Wellington, where Archibald painted the original "Spirit", was also the cheese capital of the midwest back in history? My dad owned a building in town that (still) has the word "Cheese" carved in sandstone at the top cornice.

Cheese and Archibald Willard. Funny, huh? I never learned that much about cheese because we didn't take it on the road.

Now Neanderthals, I don't know much about them. I'm sure you'll find some evidence there to make your amused point to Brasso.

First of all, any attempt to make Brasso laugh is by definition feeble.

. I was just teasing Brasso, who was apoplectic at the thought of flutes being used in drum corps.

I don't think I am " apoplectic" in my comments at all re. the onward move toward woodwinds in DCI, which seems inevitable to me ( which in case we've forgotten by now, is the thread title by an OP ) I've even used the word " silly " ( a phrase not in keeping with anger) to chuckle at the silliness that some on here believe ( quote ) " " it'll still be Drum Corps " if a DCI unit someday utilizes saxophones, trombones, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, sousaphones, clarinets, singers, dancers, etc and the like because ( as we've been told on DCP lately:... " they burn calories", ..." lose lots of weight",... do " superb athletic moves ".... and that its a " sport" . And that such a unit would still still be a " Drum Corps " with these instruments, and should not be deemed " DCI Marching Bands doing Performance Art". I think its odd and funny to think this, thats all. But I'm far from being " apoplectic " in my response to it, when it comes to this. I'm resigned to it, and have stated the phrase... " and so thats that " on more than one occasion to express in a sentiment of mostly accepting resignation in what I observe and where we have arrived, and where all signs seem to me to be pretty clearly showing where this is all seems to be headed.,

Edited by BRASSO

First of all, any attempt to make Brasso laugh is by definition feeble.

You have no idea the chuckles, laughs, and the amusement I get reading DCP sometimes.

Edited by BRASSO

You have no idea the chuckles, laughs, and the amusement I get reading DCP sometimes.

You are right. I don't.

You are right. I don't.

I promise to try much hard harder for you to notice my chuckle at your assessment that " I'm apoplectic ", if you promise to continue posting silly things like this ( lol!).... fair enough ?

Edited by BRASSO

I would like all to go to YouTube and punch Tate H S Band "1981" MBA Grand Nationals. Held in Tennessee. Tate a Band from Florida. Please watch the whole thing. See how the horns (and sax's to a small part) work out. Listen to the music. Much of it taken from Drum Corps you will remember. (Bridgemen, 27th, Spirit of Atlanta type stuff, and more) Watch the Guard. ALSO, Take Note of the FAN reaction. Remember the stands are FULL of other Band members and Families in Tennessee. Not a homer crowd for sure.

I know it is Band. But I bet you all will enjoy the show. This coming from someone that has NOT liked Many of the changes done in Drum Corps Int..

• Like 1

Slight deviation here. I just saw Aimachi perform in exhibition for the new winds division that WGI is coming out with in the next few years. They have the full instrumention of a typical marching band minus the batterie (so brass, woodwinds, front ensemble, and guard). Honestly, I have to say that it worked wonderfully, and I'm a guy who thinks (and still thinks) that woodwinds for drum corps would just be kind of pointless, given how they would be so completely drowned out behind every other instrument. So maybe the crux of woodwinds is this, that their true best outlet may come to be in indoor marching settings and not outdoors? The reason I say this is that it was definitely more balanced for all sections of the winds than we normally see in an outdoor setting, where the numbers and scale of the field I think make it less plausible.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, after hearing Aimachi at WGI, a mic'd woodwind solo wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Thought it might be a good idea to crank-up a new discussion generator, given that 2014 scores are still pretty far off. First of all, I agree with a recent observation by corpsband in the 'Bored' thread that reaction to the approval of any brass instrument in DCI was unusually heavy. I'm not surprised by the outrage, yet believe the outrage isn't really over trombones. Distaste for possible Sousaphones, maybe, but not really trombones.

The recent outrage is more symbolic. It represents a great fear of the unknown, a threat of one's comfort zone, and disturbance from changes that are coming too rapidly for many, myself included. Well, buckle-up . . . .

WOODWINDS ARE JUST DOWN THE ROAD!

Why not? The table has been set. You'll need to decide if this will be a positive addition. I won't like it, but I am convinced we'll see this inside of five years. The reasons for this development are many.

1. This activity is about creating opportunities for youthful musicians. What music educator would deny casting a wider net? Seemingly, musicians of a different type automatically means a new layer of ticket buyers, too.

2. Corps Directors need a continually enlarging flow of auditioners. The try-out fees and resultant additional charges from successful candidates are essential.

3. Instructors need to broaden the market for their skills, and open new opportunities. Many of these adults are multi-talented, don't you think?

4. Music instrument manufacturers are fully onboard. 'Nuff said.

5. SoundSport is designed to experiment and facilitate this more inclusive mission. Maybe SoundSport is just a 'toe in the water.'

6. Separate traditional marching band organizers (like BOA) are functioning nicely, but remain a challenge for DCI decisionmakers to improve. There is crossover interaction happening in the same city.

7. To survive, drum corps types need more universal approval, acceptance, and clean access into music departments of all stripes. Who needs limits in this regard?

8. In a difficult economy, a duplication of management and promotional efforts is costly. Maybe two can live almost as cheaply as one.

Besides, in the end, it's all just marching band anyway. Right?

:smile:

Bear in mind something. Based on history, any major change in hornline instrumentation ALWAYS comes with adjustment. And that adjustment takes time (and is generally an added financial burden to even the corps that support the change). With that being said, I think we are very foolish if we think that this all brass change is going to quickly and swiftly usher in woodwinds in the near future. If anything, it will likely hold woodwind's back even longer. Lets look at the history.

Late 70s (I believe it was 1978 but correct me if I'm wrong) 2 Valved G bugles were legalized.

12 years passed

In 1990 - 3 valved G bugles were legalized

10 years passed

In 2000 Bb/Any key brass were legalized

14 years passed

In 2014 All Brass was legalized

So if we look at the history of the time gaps between "hornline instrumentation overhauls". the absolute SHORTEST time period was 10 years. Strangely, the time gap for the most recent change took the LONGEST of any. So I see absolutely no reason to believe that this all brass change will do anything but lengthen the time gap between that and woodwinds being legalized. Will woodwinds eventually come? I don't think anyone doubts it. But it will not happen for at least another 10 years. "Why?" Just look at the history (and history repeats itself). Even Hopkins's famous "woodwinds in drum corps interview" quoted him saying in June 2012s "we recently added electronics, so it may be a bit too soon to talk about woodwinds" (somewhat paraphrased off the top of my head memory). So even he gets that adjusting to an overhaul takes time. So no way! BECAUSE OF.....this recent "all brass" change, we won't see woodwinds for at LEAST another 10 years (maybe longer). Quite certain of that.

Oh, and those of you worrying about sousaphones. NOBODY in the staffs/design teams have any interest. They are hideous in quality compared to contras and everybody knows it. Sousas are also cheaper....which some erroneously think will mean they will be inserted even faster. WRONG! Manufacturing companies make money from corps re-selling and endorsing their products to band programs...and they want to sell THEIR MOST EXPELSIVE products the most. Furthermore, even BOA is getting away from them. In fact, BOA is getting away from trombone "sections". Many of the top 12 band programs only use trombones for an occasional effect....which from what I gather, is all any of the designers are really interested in with DCI and even Madison (who proposed the rule) appears to only be using them in a small ensemble setting. I digress....as for sousaphones...you will NEVER see a full section of them in ANY top DCI World Class Corps. The only thing you MIGHT see a sousaphone used for is in a solo or small ensemble for novelty (Spirit Of Atlanta doing Dixieland maybe or now that Jersey Surf is using the VK/Bridgemen persona....a "gag" use possibly).

I think we are making a mountain out of a mohill.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

Yeah, you could be right. I think mic'd solo/small ensemble usage could be very cool, though at that point you can get the same sounds replicated pretty darn close via top-of-the-line synth patch (i.e. an oboe or bassoon voice, for example).

That's really all you are going to see with all brass! Solos and small ensembles...no full sections all the way through the show. BET ME!