The Inevitable Woodwind

I would like all to go to YouTube and punch Tate H S Band "1981" MBA Grand Nationals. Held in Tennessee. Tate a Band from Florida. Please watch the whole thing. See how the horns (and sax's to a small part) work out. Listen to the music. Much of it taken from Drum Corps you will remember. (Bridgemen, 27th, Spirit of Atlanta type stuff, and more) Watch the Guard. ALSO, Take Note of the FAN reaction. Remember the stands are FULL of other Band members and Families in Tennessee. Not a homer crowd for sure.

I know it is Band. But I bet you all will enjoy the show. This coming from someone that has NOT liked Many of the changes done in Drum Corps Int..

I love most Bands. From the Rockers, to the Drum Corps inspired Bands, to even the traditional Black College Bands, to even the traditional Texas A & M, and such with their Military inspired style Bands. Even some of the huge Big 10 Bands like Michigan, Ohio State, etc have their appealing aspects. But I'm really unclear what this has to do with DCI Drum Corps, and its future..,. unless you are asking that the future of DCI look and sound like a Tate H.S.'s Band as this is the type of Band you really enjoy and as such you want as the future for DCI. If this is your central point, then you'll be pleased to know the Tate H.S Marching.Band look a likes are just about at arrival time in DCI in my opinion..., and you should feel very very good about this trending it would seem to me, no matter how anyone else might feel about it.

Edited by BRASSO

Just because you see two drums in a portrait does not bolster your case about the history of drum corps. This portrait was done in the early 1870's. "Drum & Bugle Corps", as we know it today, was spawned in the early 1920's but didn't know popularity until the end of WWII in the mid-1940's.

So drum corps just sprung up de novo in the 1920s? Like, some drum corps just sort of spontaneously self-generated in a field in New Jersey? This sounds like an immaculate conception, a virgin birth, so to speak. I am astonished. This is amazing news.

Garfield is partly correct. While "drum", "bugle" and "corps" were all invented earlier, the activity was developed by the veterans organizations right after World War I. He is wrong about the timing of its popularity, though, if he thinks it did not come prior to 1946.

And yes, back in the 1920s, some drum corps had fifes, or bagpipes, or bugles, or combinations thereof - just like the military groups they emulated. But you might want to rethink the urge to characterize that as "woodwinds in drum corps", considering that these same veterans organizations established marching band activity at the same time as the drum corps. That is where the clarinets, saxes, flutes and piccolos were to be found.

Garfield is partly correct. While "drum", "bugle" and "corps" were all invented earlier, the activity was developed by the veterans organizations right after World War I. He is wrong about the timing of its popularity, though, if he thinks it did not come prior to 1946.

And yes, back in the 1920s, some drum corps had fifes, or bagpipes, or bugles, or combinations thereof - just like the military groups they emulated. But you might want to rethink the urge to characterize that as "woodwinds in drum corps", considering that these same veterans organizations established marching band activity at the same time as the drum corps. That is where the clarinets, saxes, flutes and piccolos were to be found.

cadets for 1 were long on their way to popularity and success by 1946 and probably one of the 1st corps to actually tour for 3 weeks ( un heard of in those times ) I think that was in 1949 or 50

Edited by GUARDLING

. Will woodwinds eventually come? I don't think anyone doubts it. But it will not happen for at least another 10 years.

Whew... well thats a relief and a refreshing thought anyway. I feel like a guy on death row that just got a stay of execution... and it looks like I've got at least another 10 years too !

Thanks, Gov' ner !

Edited by BRASSO