Carolina Crown 2014

The designers seem to have really settled into a pattern of programming the past few years. I wonder when the judges will start calling them out on it... starting to feel a little redundant

This is all apart of the PreShow...it's not judged so why would judges call them out on it? The fast notes are what I believe to be the beginning of the show.

The designers seem to have really settled into a pattern of programming the past few years. I wonder when the judges will start calling them out on it... starting to feel a little redundant

I think every Corp has their signature sound and pattern. I could name other corps which do the same thing but that would only enrage angry responses and I'm not going there. LOL

I think every Corp has their signature sound and pattern. I could name other corps which do the same thing but that would only enrage angry responses and I'm not going there. LOL

I would absolutely love for you to make a separate thread and list all these signature things. I'm genuinely interested and think it would be cool

I know, right? Trampolines year after year.

Trample Crown in 2007, Grassoline in 2009, Common Tramp in 2012...

• Like 5

felt kind of anticlimatic for an ending. surely it's not the final one.

doesn't seem memorable musically. good technique and lots of notes but music selections seem to all run together

Edited by eric49

So far I've read (in separate Crown threads) that the show seemed disjointed, and the show seemed to run together.

the disjointed nature of the seamless blending served to accentuate the rip in the space-time continuum. thank you it works well for you.

Since it's getting buried in the other thread, I'll share it here. I wrote up a little mini review. You can agree, you can disagree, that's fine. These are my personal, unprofessional thoughts on the early season Crown show I just saw. I watched Crown rehearse pre season almost a year ago today, so I feel like I have a good idea of comparing where they are in comparison to last year.

I'll start with some personal criticism's, which there's not a lot of.

- Seems disjointed section to section, which is a typical early season problem and something that can be fixed. (See Phantom 2011).
- Field looks VERY cluttered right now, the sheer amount of equipment is pretty overwhelming. Not sure if that is something they can fix.
- The "Shadow Behind the Iron Sun", aka the car muffler section, was cool, and then it kept going, and going, and going. It honestly lost a little bit of momentum for me.
- There were two things that kinda bugged me. The lofting of the Frisbee, which just looked like they were chucking them, not really floating like a Frisbee should. And the trampolines, hope they have more planned there because they did not add too much to me. They just kinda jumped on them for a minute and got off. What they said before the show has me hopeful that more will be added.

The Positives:

- Obviously the brass, I mean come on. I don't even need to say anything.
- Drill design seems more interesting than last year, the closer was really cool in this regard.
- Color Guard seems very strong, personally love the choice of uniform and flags.
- Percussion, again seem better. Front ensemble sounds REALLY strong to me, drums are getting there. Sound better than when I saw Crown rehearse live last year.
- LOVED the "Space Oddity" intro, thought it really set up the mood for the show.
- Opener very strong, ballad gorgeous...and:
- HOLY COW that closer! I loved it, really got that coming home feeling, and they brought it in. Having listened to the source music, there are that many notes in it. They're not just playing notes for notes sake here, it's all in the originals.

If they can keep improving the percussion, work out the transitions and weave the show together more, and make the field appear less cluttered, I'll be 100% all over it and it'll probably be my favorite Crown show. Personally enjoy this one a lot more than when I saw them rehearse live last year, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Looking like another strong season for Crown, I say top 3 for sure. Will it be enough to hold off The Cadets and Blue Devils, and maybe another corps or two? We'll see. But I personally really enjoyed that VERY much! Happy 25th Crown! Love you guys! Here's to another 25! :thumbup:

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1