Carolina Crown 2014

Liked it....not loved it. Not worried though.......last summer when they did their run through I felt the same and grew to love it. I wanted more brass.....but I'm blaming that on the audio recording used to broadcast their show. Last night someone posted a teaser which was the pre show we saw tonight live....the teaser was crazy loud and powerful....so tonight's broadcast of the same bit wasn't the best for sound. Loved the beginning...I was afraid they'd use as much narration as last year but the a Capella was great, so much better than I expected, . Loved the hints of the "Planets" scattered throughout the show. Glad to see the percussion took it up a notch. I'm not a big fan of all their props on the field, seemed to busy. Again, I'm not worried, they've got a month and a halfish to clean a product they've done a fine job learning. Were they this clean last year this early in the season?

Edited by msumello
  • Like 1

Liked it....not loved it. Not worried though.......last summer when they did their run through I felt the same and grew to love it. I wanted more brass.....but I'm blaming that on the audio recording used to broadcast their show. Last night someone posted a teaser which was the pre show we saw tonight live....the teaser was crazy loud and powerful....so tonight's broadcast of the same bit wasn't the best for sound. Loved the hints of the "Planets" scattered throughout the show. Glad to see the percussion took it up a notch. I'm not a big fan of all their props on the field, seemed to busy. Again, I'm not worried, they've got twoish months to clean a product they've done a fine job learning. Were they this clean last year this early in the season?

Agreed- didn't love the recording quality either. Watched them rehearse a few days ago and it was a different world. A lot was missed with those close up video angles as well. Hopefully the cinema will be better all around. Looking forward to the summer!

It's not my in my favorite four Crown Shows but,

Percussion won't be the problem it was last year. ( minus the early season slotting)

Brass will be a monster!

The marching is very good ( for so early)

I've really liked the guard over the past 5 or so years.

Maybe it was the camera angles but I didn't see the trampolines being utilized enough.

Great showing for so early!

Can't wait to see and hear it live!

My favorite 4 Crown Shows:

1.Grass is Greener

2.E=MC2

3.Rach Star

4. Bohemia

Edited by boxingfred

Kudos to Crown, DCI, and Fan Network for this preview. That was a fun way to kick off the season. I wish we'd have actually gotten to see some BD instead of just an ad for mediabox.

Obviously Crown has a lot going for them. Some of the things that stood out for me:

- Really awesome singing in the preshow. Like, the best choral singing I have heard in DCI (save for some fixable intonation problems)

- Holy crap, brass. You know how many notes Cadets' drums play in that Simple Gifts clip? I sort of felt like Crown's horns played more in the closer. In terms of brass ensemble playing, it really is "out of this world"

- The gamelan percussion section sounds pretty cool. Seemed a little long, but maybe they just need to generate some more effect from the rest of the corps to support it.

- The percussion section has a lot more exposure than it did last year, presumably reflecting the staff's confidence this year's performers

But all in all, I liked it rather than loved it.

- The trampolines didn't seem to be used effectively.

- It's pretty disjointed, with maybe too many musical thoughts going on. Why hint at Jupiter if you're not going to play Jupiter?

- It's really hard to discern any kind of dramatic arc or storyline at this point. The middle 50% of the show seemed technically impressive, but emotionally flat.

There's obviously some similarities to 2013 in the structure of the show, but that doesn't really bother me. There's no reason not to go back to the brass band literature as source material, since it obviously showcases the exceptional brass program. It'll be fun to see them flesh out the program, and it certainly looks like a show headed for a medal.

good show. all the space junk (drums, trampolines etc) cut the field down. drums better than at Allentown last year. seemed to me the brass didn't play enough, and of course the ending will be revamped. it'll contend

good show. all the space junk (drums, trampolines etc) cut the field down. drums better than at Allentown last year. seemed to me the brass didn't play enough, and of course the ending will be revamped. it'll contend

Woah wait. I know nothing about percussion so I have to ask this: do you truly mean that Crown's percussion right now is comparable to the level of their percussion in Allentown last year?

Woah wait. I know nothing about percussion so I have to ask this: do you truly mean that Crown's percussion right now is comparable to the level of their percussion in Allentown last year?

yes. their battery was filthy at Allentown. the book is better, more achievable, and more of a full partner in the show. the front ensemble scoring works well with the total package

• Like 1