Carolina Crown 2014

Please stay on topic gentlemen (I presume ;) Carolina Crown`s Space Odyssey is awesome :)

Well, we did stay on topic. Both posts immediately preceding yours specifically addressed Crown's show.

• Like 1

Please stay on topic gentlemen (I presume ;) Carolina Crown`s Space Odyssey is awesome :)

They're all on topic...

Um, if you check we did stay on topic. I sorta expanded upon my idea with more corps names to strengthen my idea and add to the conversation, but my first sentence was absolutely on topic.

...and yea, I figure most everyone on here knows I'm male by now, especially with a name like Jeff and all the Cavalier references in my posts over the years.

I assume you're female since you've got a few all girl corps in your sig; I'm not sure why you needed to "encourage" us to stay on topic? :poke:

I don't think it got the your desired effect though...

Edited by jjeffeory

And to give us some context about what the audience there might be used to, see this performance by one of the Japanese corps at that same show (actually they appear to be the marching band of Shonondai high school--but I don't see any woodwinds, so they might as well be called a drum corps). How well do people think this White Shooting Stars performance would do in DCI? Good enough to medal in Open Class? Their major limitation would seem to be the small field coverage (because of the small field)--is that why they lost the world marching band association championships last year to Canada's Calgary Stampede Showband? (Whom I'd also never heard of before now.)

Calgary Showband has been around for many, many years. They have strong DCI connections. Blue Knights' passionate drum major a few years back was from this band as well as the other group up that way, the Lions. Jay Michalak who teaches Calgary's music is himself a Cadets alum as was his brother Dr. Ron, MD. Both marched Marian Catholic H.S. in Illinois and then Cadets DBC as sopranos/trumpets in championship years. Bluecoats have been using their Canadian ties to attract these better Alberta players. Crown probably looked too as the flight home probably did the polar route to Charlotte. At one point I think Calgary was one of the Canadian/enne ensembles that did Bristol one Fourth of July.

Edited by xandandl

I don't think it got the your desired effect though...

The desired effect was to discuss Carolina Crown as this is their thread! (With respect to decades of marching music, Calgary is cool and Edmonton was drum corps cool in 70's and 80's. Small region, big hearts ;)

• 2 weeks later...

While some ponder what color kimono Crown corps will wear in ‘15 after their recent sojourn and whether their next show will give us shades of Shogun or a remake of Samurai, some are intrigued yet by their Out of This World season. Not to steal the thunder from Northern Thunder but why was it so popular? Cadets had played Planets in ’72 and Star Trek in ’77. BD did Planets in ’73 and SCV in ’80. Cavies made it famous again in ’85 and ’95 and even coupled in the ‘80s with ASZ 2001. And of course, Santa Clara has long had their corps hall on Space Park, but it’s Devs who march on Mars. Go figure?!?!

While some ponder what color kimono Crown corps will wear in 15 after their recent sojourn and whether their next show will give us shades of Shogun or a remake of Samurai, some are intrigued yet by their Out of This World season. Not to steal the thunder from Northern Thunder but why was it so popular? Cadets had played Planets in 72 and Star Trek in 77. BD did Planets in 73 and SCV in 80. Cavies made it famous again in 85 and 95 and even coupled in the 80s with ASZ 2001. And of course, Santa Clara has long had their corps hall on Space Park, but its Devs who march on Mars. Go figure?!?!

Crown only had hints of the Planets suite in their show. It was mostly completely different from what was presented before and their astounding hornline is, I think, what made them stand out from the rest.

While some ponder what color kimono Crown corps will wear in ‘15 after their recent sojourn and whether their next show will give us shades of Shogun or a remake of Samurai, some are intrigued yet by their Out of This World season. Not to steal the thunder from Northern Thunder but why was it so popular? Cadets had played Planets in ’72 and Star Trek in ’77. BD did Planets in ’73 and SCV in ’80. Cavies made it famous again in ’85 and ’95 and even coupled in the ‘80s with ASZ 2001. And of course, Santa Clara has long had their corps hall on Space Park, but it’s Devs who march on Mars. Go figure?!?!

Programming for the general audience? Perhaps they are:

ac·ces·si·ble
əkˈsesəb(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: accessible
1. (of a place) able to be reached or entered.
"the town is accessible by bus"
synonyms: reachable, attainable, approachable; More
  • (of an object, service, or facility) able to be easily obtained or used.

"making learning opportunities more accessible to adults"

• easily understood. (also see Carolina Crown show design)

"his Latin grammar is lucid and accessible"

synonyms: understandable, comprehensible, easy to understand, intelligible; formalexoteric
"his accessible style of writing"

Cappy B: agreed.

Crown's front ensemble played the Thax(s)ted melody (O God Beyond All Praising) which is rooted in Jupiter.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaxted_(tune) It is a lyrical tune and easily memorable, partially proving Corpsband's accurate assessment.

As much of the other CC'14 music was familiar in parts to some, rarely all of it to all who saw them, Corpsband's assessment still holds that the excellence (particular in the brass, although some would judge the 2013 line as better) was done deliberately in a way to draw the spectator in (the judge in this case being a spectator as well.) Even the pantomime of the space walk and being lost in space (no danger here Will Robinson) was imagined so that all might identify easily with the feeling and the idea, similar to the clever opening with the launch of the mission and the 'weightlessness" on the trampolines.

Too many show designs are ideas. Crown was able to bridge both cerebral and the emotive in a way that all "would get it." i found it stellar (pun intended)

Edited by xandandl