What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

To me, a "band" is something that stays together long enough to perform more than once, like the word suggests. So those examples do not sound like "bands", in a literal sense.

I realize that you prefaced your statement with, “To me’, but I do want to ask this of you concerning 'literally': So a group of concerned parents cannot ‘band’ together to voice concerns at one school board meeting? A group of old friends cannot ‘band’ together for that one and only trip to the Australian Outback? Because for people to technically (ie literally) be considered as a ‘Band of People’ is nothing more than a group coming together for one unified purpose whether it is for a single activity, or for many performances.

I have made that assertion in the context of some past posts using logic in the context of those posts at the time. I don't remember the specifics because it wasn't terribly recent.

Recently, you're correct, I've raised the question and it has been interpreted in many ways and gotten different opposing answers from lots of people, but I haven't made the claim that tOSU marching band is a drum and bugle corps... ...BUT if tOSU wanted to enter into a DCI contest, there is now nothing in the rules that would stop them at this point. Even their style wouldn't stop them. Would they score well? Maybe they'd do ok at the beginning of the season, but very doubtful with their current design and lack of color guard. However, their ensemble would now fit into the rules if they chose to participate. They would be considered a "Drum Corps" ( still a subset of marching band mind you) simply by performing in DCI. Without performing in DCI, they're a marching band.

The only change is that they would be performing in DCI.

Actually the hypothetical proves that it's NOT instrumentation that defines drum corps. There's not a single drum corps fan who'd mistake the OSUMB for a drum corps -- even if they *did* show up to 'compete' at a DCI show.

I've come to realize that "this activity" has different meanings to different people posting here, and that is probably causing some of the tension when asking what defines the activity or what defines "drum corps".

I believe that some people look at the entire marching arts activity as one thing, while other people prefer to compartmentalize it into sub-groups. Sorta like breaking music down into different genres. Some genres are more related than others and that is important to enough people to give it consideration for discussion.

Other people on this social site define the activity as "DCI", or "DCA", "marching band", "drum corps", et cetera. ...and we can not seem to agree with one another even on a classification.

It's certainly true that we all look at things with different sets of assumptions. I think (at least for purposes of comparing DCI to MB in this discussion) it's reasonable to talk about DCI corps and competitive marching bands.

But the terms marching band and drum corps are both used to describe a wide variety of ensembles (competitive and otherwise). And certainly there have been several posters willing exploit that breadth to derail the thread.

Frankly, what I'd really like to see here is information about the shows planned for the next year or maybe discussion on show design features, or anything more directly related to the specific corps in DCI World class, but we never or at least hardly ever see those and people don't seem to respond much to those type of topics.

It's the silly season on DCP. Posters are tired of having nothing new to talk about it. We need to have an army of volunteers invade off-season camps with the sole purpose of reporting their observations back to DCP. Even 15 sec instagram videos would be more than meaty enough to settle everyone down. Have them all use the same username so all the 'reporters' remain anonymous :ninja:

I don't really want to see WW's marching in drum corps. But if they did, it still would be drum corps.

So... under this reassoning here, if these DCI units added sousaphones, trombones, saxophones, flutes, clarinets, etc they would still be Drum Corps because the summer 9-10 week experience is ( as stated here )" unique and different " than the experience they get in units with this instrumention in the fall and winter ? Did I understand this correctly ? Not a flame, just trying to get a handle that apparently instrumentation useage is not defining, just the " unique experience garnered in the summer months" no matter the instrumentation of flutes, saxophones, trombones,clarinets, etc and such utilized. Put a DM out there with a big tall hat, a whiistle, a baton and some good old fashion high stepping in front of these units with flutes, saxophones, clarinets, etc and under this reasoning" it still would be a Drum Corps" because its DCI, they say so, and the 10 week summer experience of doing this is " unique and different " than doing this in the fall and the winter.

Interesting times will live in in DCI, with some interesting people, and with some interesting take on things... no doubt about it, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

It's just Marching Band folks. Everyone's "experience" is different and too arbitrary to be a valid argument to say the least. Now if you could point to some 2 valve G brass that's being played in a marching band somewhere the I would contend that even in the past there was no sub-group called a drum and bugle corps. Now, there is no difference from a brass marching band. Albeit a very good marching band that members pay dearly to be in. Just ask anyone outside the activity, they know. It's like putting 2 apples on the table and calling one an orange because we say so.

So... under this reassoning here, if these DCI units added sousaphones, trombones, saxophones, flutes, clarinets, etc they would still be Drum Corps because the summer 9-10 week experience is ( as stated here )" unique and different " than the experience they get in units with this instrumention in the fall and winter ? Did I understand this correctly ? Not a flame, just trying to get a handle that apparently instrumentation useage is not defining, just the " unique experience garnered in the summer months" no matter the instrumentation of flutes, saxophones, trombones,clarinets, etc and such utilized. Put a DM out there with a big tall hat, a whiistle, a baton and some good old fashion high stepping in front of these units with flutes, saxophones, clarinets, etc and under this reasoning" it still would be a Drum Corps" because its DCI, they say so, and the 10 week summer experience of doing this is " unique and different " than doing this in the fall and the winter.

Interesting times will live in in DCI, with some interesting people, and with some interesting take on things... no doubt about it, imo.

there was always interesting people with interesting takes on things and usually different from the rest of the world...after all we were/are drum corps people :biggrin: also seems like most here do believe its more the experience not whats being played which defines . Even though here is a very small sampling , like most polls I suppose

Edited by GUARDLING

It's just Marching Band folks. Everyone's "experience" is different and too arbitrary to be a valid argument to say the least. Now if you could point to some 2 valve G brass that's being played in a marching band somewhere the I would contend that even in the past there was no sub-group called a drum and bugle corps. Now, there is no difference from a brass marching band. Albeit a very good marching band that members pay dearly to be in. Just ask anyone outside the activity, they know. It's like putting 2 apples on the table and calling one an orange because we say so.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc it is a .............goose

Thats because a hunter says so. It makes the goose a duck ?. He names it so, as to him they are one and the same ?. But of course if the duck hunter takes down the goose, his experience is definately goling to be" unique different for him "pretty quickly. Thats because if it becomes public knowledge that he confuses ducks with geese, the game warden will pull his permit and level a big fine for being silly enough not to know that his self described intention to call ducks, geese isn't going to pass muster.

Edited by BRASSO

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc it is a .............goose

Thats because a hunter says so. It makes the goose a duck. He names it so, as to him they are one and the same. But of course if the duck hunter takes down the goose, his experience is definately goling to be" unique different for him "pretty quickly. Thats because if it becomes public knowledge that he confuses ducks with geese, the game warden will pull his permit and level a big fine for being silly enough not to know that his self described intention to call ducks, geese isn't going to pass muster.

PULL!

BANG!

Was it a drum corps goose?

Thats because a hunter says so. It makes the goose a duck. He names it so, as to him they are one and the same. But of course if the duck hunter takes down the goose, his experience is definately goling to be" unique different for him "pretty quickly. Thats because if it becomes public knowledge that he confuses ducks with geese, the game warden will pull his permit and level a big fine for being silly enough not to know that his self described intention to call ducks, geese isn't going to pass muster.

a duck isnt an activity with chance of change within and servicing people within the activity....its like laws........they can also change.........even religion , some of the most condemning sins of 50 years ago ( divorce, eating meat on Fridays and a few others ) arent today.....................rules and some descriptions of things , especially ones originally made up by man can be changed by man.

• Like 2

there was always interesting people with interesting takes on things and usually different from the rest of the world...after all we were/are drum corps people :biggrin: also seems like most here do believe its more the experience not whats being played which defines . Even though here is a very small sampling , like most polls I suppose

I thought the prevailing thinking on here... posted many a time by contrarian posters... is that DCP posters comments on here do not reflect the fan prevailing thinking outside of DCP. So are you saying now that this assessment is wrong and that what is posted on DCP should be considered as representative of the prevailing sentiment in the national fanbase ? Which is it ? Are DCPers, thru this poll, representative of the national fanbase or not " Or is the poll on this thread way too small in sampling to be worth much of anything at all either way ? ( I think the latter, by the way.. meaningless and not representative of anything at all as the sampling is way, way too small. )

Edited by BRASSO

I thought the prevailing thinking on here... posted many a time... is that DCP posters on here do not reflect the fan base outside of DCP. So are you saying now that that thinking is wrong and that what is posted on DCP should be considered as representative of the prevailing sentiment in the national fanbase ? Which is it ? Are DCPers, thru this poll, representative of the national fanbase or not " Or is the sme too small to be worth much either way ?

no not at all...as I said above a very small sampling ....didnt you read the last line...lol