Controversy in WGI and DCI

I also recently watched a TV advertisement selling the old " Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts " DCD'S from the learly 70's where the top comics of this era came together and roasted other celebrities, ( even Presidents) as they sat at the table. The comics roasted the celebrity being honored. , The rough names, ethni and racial jokes they called one another in harmless fun would NEVER get thru the PC policed airways today, and we all know it too...

Comedy Central still does roasts every year, and a whole lot of what they say there is bleeped out on TV.

Comedy Central still does roasts every year, and a whole lot of what they say there is bleeped out on TV.

True.. and the stuff they bleep out oftentimes seems harmless to me compared with the vulgarity they oftentimes let get thru with no problems at all.. Do a skit on national tv ridiculing catholic nuns, everybody laughs,.. do a dopey low budget 15 minute film on a Muslim cleric and it gets you thrown in prison and accused of creating a war overseas and getting Americans killed there.. Again, its mostly a case of whose ox is being gored. The PC Police has established groups that can have a bullseye target on their backs, and which other groups are off limits and sacrosanct from public ridicule. And most people know which groups the PC police won't let you lampoon and laugh at.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok; I have seen the light. I finally concede you all were right, that I was wrong, and I now join you all by dropping the moral high ground pedestal I have been standing on. So, now that is done and over with, considering what has recently occurred to Rap Artist Andre Johnson of the Rap Group Northstar, I think it only fitting that next season an IW Winter Guard tribute show to Mr. Johnson be constructed and based on the following song: link

. Thank God the activity is like that. freedom to explore, set new trends ( which is actually in the IW description) etc etc without fear. I!

True.;... and to be clear here... nobody is asking that anyone ( DCI/ WGI) that does a controversial show be disbarred, imprisoned,, wear an S on their blouse, burned at the stake,, etc or whatever. Its still a free country ( well, not as free as it used to be, but thats for another discussion, site, etc ) and people should be free to do whatever controversial show they want. My concern is with those who want to shut off debate, discussion, or perhaps even from offering up expressions of various levels of disaproval with ANY show whether its mild disapproval to strong disgust. The X rated people peddling their filth do not concern me as much as the people that want to tell us to shut up with our opinions on it. THESE people creep me out more, as its a slippery slope indeed when some ( from either the Left or the Right ). want to tell us what is fair game and what is not fair game for expressing one's strongly held convictions.

As for Fantasia... I've never mentioned a single comment on them on DCP. If their show didn't cause much controversy then, then far be it for me to bring them up now as" controversial". Besides, in an activity already small in numbers in attendance, do we really need MORE controversy about the shows before audiences ? I don't think so. But thats just my assessment on this too.

Edited by BRASSO

True.;... and to be clear here... nobody is asking that anyone ( DCI/ WGI) that does a controversial show be disbarred, imprisoned,, wear an S on their blouse, burned at the stake,, etc or whatever. Its still a free country ( well, not as free as it used to be, but thats for another discussion, site, etc ) and people should be free to do whatever controversial show they want.

I agree; I have never called for the banning of any performance; only more responsible communication and adherence to the respect of a general audience when a general audience is present.

My concern is with those who want to shut off debate, discussion, or perhaps even from offering up expressions of various levels of disaproval with ANY show whether its mild disapproval to strong disgust. The X rated people peddling their filth do not concern me as much as the people that want to tell us to shut up with our opinions on it. THESE people creep me out more, as its a slippery slope indeed when some ( from either the Left or the Right ). want to tell us what is fair game and what is not fair game for expressing one's strongly held convictions.

What I find funny, I mean overly hilarious, is that many times those who are the most ardent in wanting to shut people up, want to shut down debate with the people that they disagree with, and then call people they disagree with names in a very condescending manner, it is those very same people who also claim to be so ‘open-minded tolerant perception is reality truth is relative we respect all belief structures’ advocates. Go figure.

I'm really not concerned with the Indians, Kama Sutra, provided the other guy on the other end of the phone line from Calcutta I was referred to can fix my computer. If he can fix my computer, he and his lover can try out 283 positions in an hour if they want, I don't care. I just don't want to spend an hour on the phone with some guy from Calcutta that after an hour can't fix the freaken computer.

I find it interesting that we are talking about a WGI show about "Images from India" and you post a reply involving IT support.

Word has it that India has an extremely rich culture that dates back eons before IT support.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 4

True.. the harmless and innocuous ( and funny to all races equally ) Amos & Andy show would make today's white, rich, liberals in the cities get a case of the vapors. They'd probably browbeat their millionaire friends at the studios in NYC to censor a rerun of this show if it came up for consideration, or they'd browbeat their friends to disallow a similar show on TV from ever getting launched.

Funny to all races....

Edited by LincolnV

True.;... and to be clear here... nobody is asking that anyone ( DCI/ WGI) that does a controversial show be disbarred, imprisoned,, wear an S on their blouse, burned at the stake,, etc or whatever. Its still a free country ( well, not as free as it used to be, but thats for another discussion, site, etc ) and people should be free to do whatever controversial show they want.

Do you think you made your post better with that statement?

I find it interesting that we are talking about a WGI show about "Images from India" and you post a reply involving IT support.

' Glad to learn you found it interesting.