Stalin and satire on the field? (BAC 2014)

I was the OP. I saw the show last night. And frankly, I still can't answer my question.

The musical selections are cool. They're arranged in a very dark way, but I like the source material.

But on first read, I don't understand the show. I'm sure the portrayal of the story will evolve.

I can't speak for the designers, but I don't think their intent is to reenact the plot of Animal Farm, chapter and verse.. It seems to me that they are representing the major theme of the novel, using primarily Russian source material as well as guard costuming to capture the darkness of what was Soviet Communism. I suppose they could have been more literal, and gone the route of narrators and props, but I don't think that is what they had in mind. The music and uniforms are dark and foreboding, just as is the essence of Orwell's novel.

• Like 4

I wonder if I get a prize for guessing it ... like, maybe allowing my son to march with them next season?

No "allowing" allowed. But, next year would be THE year to march with the BAC, especially if it's an age out season. Their 75th year, no matter where they finish at finals, should be one great ride.

I'm with you. I don't think it's meant to be literal either.

But I don't understand the figurative version either. :)

(Not able to get the Quote function to work on Internet Explorer - any thoughts? Other than "don't buy a Windows tablet where you can't download other browsers")

(Not able to get the Quote function to work on Internet Explorer - any thoughts? Other than "don't buy a Windows tablet where you can't download other browsers")

Is it IE11? It has issues with the current version of the forum software. This isn't the only forum affected by it.

Dowload Firefox or Chrome. You won't have an issue with them.

I was the OP. I saw the show last night. And frankly, I still can't answer my question.

The musical selections are cool. They're arranged in a very dark way, but I like the source material.

But on first read, I don't understand the show. I'm sure the portrayal of the story will evolve.

Keep a open mind. Boston has a very talented staff. Thinking outside of the box. Putting prop's on the field and amping up music is a easy thing to do. show design is complex and it's only their 1st show. Example: One thing that stands out are the guard masks that were made by an artist very impressive. This detail brilliantly birings out our four legged friends as part of the show design as it's develops. Have a great day.

Edited by emc2
  • Like 1

I suppose they could have been more literal, and gone the route of narrators

"In a world torn by conflict, when the animals had wrenched power from the humans, there arose one pig to rule them all."

I can't speak for the designers, but I don't think their intent is to reenact the plot of Animal Farm, chapter and verse.. It seems to me that they are representing the major theme of the novel, using primarily Russian source material as well as guard costuming to capture the darkness of what was Soviet Communism. I suppose they could have been more literal, and gone the route of narrators and props, but I don't think that is what they had in mind. The music and uniforms are dark and foreboding, just as is the essence of Orwell's novel.

As someone who has been researching a little bit and trying to understand more deeply what BAC was trying to do, I really appreciate this post, and it definitely opened my eyes a little more. Thanks!