Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Fan video taken from the stands gets taken down instantly. It's like they have a team of people watching all social media for any videos that pop up.

Then again, there are a ton of DVD rips from DCI Finals DVDs floating around that just stay there for weeks.

Yeah those DVD rips puzzle me. You'd think that they would care about those more.

Did they? Which Pavilion recordings?

Mike

1991, for one.

I just want to know why no one is talking about that B corps recording?

That is some serious drum corps there!

They sound PHENOMENAL and will contend for the Open Class title, but this is the World class forum, although they are fielding a 150 member corps.....lol

Finally saw it.

When I became a Drum corps fan as a kid (year 2000: I came home from the first day of band camp and stumbled upon the finals performance of "We Are the Future" on PBS while channel surfing) I never thought I'd see a drum corps tribute to Fellini. When I saw my first Fellini film, in college, which is probably where most Americans see their first Fellini (?), it certainly never occured to me that my affection for his flashy Italian weirdness would ever find a home on the football field. Really, it shouldn't all work, but it does, and it's all there: quirky, dramatic, jazzy, distinctly Italian, and distinctly BD.

The BD of late seem intent on reminding us that the people who devote themselves to designing, teaching and performing drum corps shows are, at the end of the day, nerds. Art nerds, not just music nerds. Film, poetry, dance -- whatever. Out in the world, each of the arts is informed by the others, and BD makes a strong case for Drum corps' approach to the arts to do the same.

I dig it. And I dig it as one contribution among many. The Cavaliers taught us that the corps members were athletes. Crown is teaching us that all performers are born storytellers. The Cadets made room for broader emotional terrain while never forgetting the formal military roots of the activity. Etc. All of these corps are onto something, and I think it's all pretty groovy. BD especially.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6

Finally saw it.

When I became a Drum corps fan as a kid (year 2000: I came home from the first day of band camp and stumbled upon the finals performance of "We Are the Future" on PBS while channel surfing) I never thought I'd see a drum corps tribute to Fellini. When I saw my first Fellini film, in college, which is probably where most Americans see their first Fellini (?), it certainly never occured to me that my affection for his flashy Italian weirdness would ever find a home on the football field. Really, it shouldn't all work, but it does, and it's all there: quirky, dramatic, jazzy, distinctly Italian, and distinctly BD.

The BD of late seem intent on reminding us that the people who devote themselves to designing, teaching and performing drum corps shows are, at the end of the day, nerds. Art nerds, not just music nerds. Film, poetry, dance -- whatever. Out in the world, each of the arts is informed by the others, and BD makes a strong case for Drum corps' approach to the arts to do the same.

I dig it. And I dig it as one contribution among many. The Cavaliers taught us that the corps members were athletes. Crown is teaching us that all performers are born storytellers. The Cadets made room for broader emotional terrain while never forgetting the formal military roots of the activity. Etc. All of these corps are onto something, and I think it's all pretty groovy. BD especially.

You, sir/madam, have won the internet for the year. You NAILED it and I am extremely moved by this post. You are absolutely right about the different qualities that each corps brings to the field and I hope that everyone will take a moment during this season to reflect in this way. They all come together to bring us something very special and unique. Nicely done!!

• Like 2

The BD of late seem intent on reminding us that the people who devote themselves to designing, teaching and performing drum corps shows are, at the end of the day, nerds.

I get what you are saying, but nerds are the last thing I would have ever thought of being associated with the blue devils in any way.

This puts everything in a new light:

Phenomenon of Uncool

Constantly Risky Nerdity

Through a Glass Dorkly

Bernoulliesque

• Like 2

They might as well just keep them up.

I will never understand why a drum corps doesnt see the value in the free exposure & advertising that they get from videos on You Tube or anywhere else on the internet. Having videos available on the web will actually lead to more DVD sales, not less. The Drum & Bugle Corps activity has shrunk at an alarming rate, & for the sake of its very existence, they would be wise to take advantage of the free exposure. Drum Corps would be smart to let videos remain on the internet. They need the promotion.

• Like 1

The BD of late seem intent on reminding us that the people who devote themselves to designing, teaching and performing drum corps shows are, at the end of the day, nerds. Art nerds, not just music nerds. Film, poetry, dance -- whatever.,

Huh ? You've talked to those marchers and staffers in the Blue Devils and you believe that they want us to view them in particular there as all " nerds " ? That they are " intent on reminding us of this ", as well ? I always thought that the Blue Devils wanted to give off the aura as being Southern California hip and " cool ". But now you're telling us that no longer holds true ? That the Blue Devils there want to be viewed there as collective group of.... " nerds " ?

Edited by BRASSO