Fan Network 2014-2015?

A question for anyone with technical knowledge: is it remotely possible that FN could offer HD video with 5.1 surround? Netflix can do it. What would it take on the back-end to make it happen?

Yes, but it takes money for equipment and it takes time to setup. You have to place mics for surround. DCI has people more than qualified to produce this ( Tom Blair and his team), but they probably don't have the $$ to do it.

A question for anyone with technical knowledge: is it remotely possible that FN could offer HD video with 5.1 surround? Netflix can do it. What would it take on the back-end to make it happen?

VOD, sure. Live would be very cost-prohibitive.

Now, start the discussion about product cannibalization.

Yes, but it takes money for equipment and it takes time to setup. You have to place mics for surround. DCI has people more than qualified to produce this ( Tom Blair and his team), but they probably don't have the $$ to do it.

Just remember that for finals, they have on-sight audio engineering that actively monitor, balance, and track over a dozen mics. This is mixed into both a 5.1 and a stereo pair. So, to answer the question, the 5.1 effort and equipment probably exceeds the cost for the entire FN hardware kits, and is equal in manpower that week. It's mixed for the Cinecast.

Could that be done on a live stream? Technically yes. Bandwidth would suffer some, and new equipment would have to be added; probably its own stream. (Not sure you can multiplex DVR live streaming.) Can it be dumped into a multiplexed VOD feed? Maybe. Again, it's probably not feasible, but even if it is, most 5.1 systems on computers are already giving a solid approximation through 12-25ms delays and sub-80hz splits.

For you real hard core audio junkies with 5.1 on your machines, try this... 35ms delay off your rear speakers, lower your center about 10dB, and set your sub split to up near 120hz. That's about what you need to sim the 5.1 dci experience.

Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find that a high priority. I snuck the stereo pair up to 192 AAC when no one was looking at the HD feed... and really, you aren't going to get a video stream with that transparent an audio stream unless you are doing cinematic streaming.

Good luck, and if you really are into that 5.1 thing, rip a CD to ALAC/FLAC, and play it back until it sounds like a BluRay. You can get it really, really close.

• Like 1

However, with the decision to (FINALLY) push out Finals, this year they have to decide whether it's going to continue to be an add-on, or if it's all-in-one.

It will be pay-per-view again.

Again, I hope this is some neutral help. And no, I have no idea about price or schedule upcoming.

Price has not been announced, but schedule is listed in the latest issue of the DCI online magazine.

I 'd respectfully disagree with this assessment.. at least with my personal experience anyway. Last year when they had a technical malfunction with a show broadcast, I emailed them, later got a phone call from DCI a day or two later, we chatted, and they fully refunded my money already paid for the show that had the technical glitch.

I agree. I've been a Fan Network fan since the first year (before the live streams, before video, when they would just post audio files of shows), and I've ALWAYS found good customer service, fairly quick answers to emails, etc. There have been problems with streams, massive frustration on my part, etc. at times, but the customer service has always been apologetic and quick to try and help. You can say maybe DCI doesn't have the resources to support what we as fans want, or say that DCI doesn't have the technical ability to produce the consistent high quality we demand; but to say "they don't care" is pure nonsense.

I dunno. The turnaround time is often a manpower and hardware issue, and with DVR-style playback of the live shows, I know turnaround was a lower priority. It's hell to cut and render those on the road, and that's why you'd see them on Mondays. Lots more CPU power in-office. When there's no live show, you see those done more quickly. That's by design.

I know that Brightcove has been working with the NFL and a few other clients to make bookmarking a reality for DVR streams, but it's not a simple thing. Maybe that'll change, but that's currently a technical barrier.

The DVR-style playback was a GREAT change recently. That really takes the frustrations out for the most part, knowing that if there are issues or something I can watch it later, or even watch the shows after-the-fact when I know there aren't thousands of people potentially slamming a weak local show site server.

The whole 5.1 thing may be a bit overrated for DCI, hence that all the audio takes place in front of you! As far as delay goes, that is the effect of the dome which most of us would agree is the worst environment for a drum corps show.

The whole 5.1 thing may be a bit overrated for DCI, hence that all the audio takes place in front of you! As far as delay goes, that is the effect of the dome which most of us would agree is the worst environment for a drum corps show.

You are right about the 5.1, it is not really needed for drum corps, unless you like to feel immersed in the crowd noise. Good old stereo 2.0 would suffice. The problem with FN is the sound is mediocre. I assume this is due to compression.

What I would really like is a higher definition stereo broadcast, along with HD video.

I wonder if DCI keeps the resolution low on purpose, so as to not cannibalize DVD sales. Can't say I would blame them, but I do wish there was an option to pay more for a higher-definition stream.

• Like 1

Unless you're accessing it on a phone, but honestly... who even does that in this day and age? </sarcasm>

Mike

Sarcasm appreciated. However, there were comments on the DCI.org announcement regarding the mobile interface,

“During the off-season, the Fan Network has gotten an ‘under-the-hood’ tune-up,” Acheson said. He noted that an upgraded delivery system is being implemented to provide subscribers with enhanced stability and that for the first time ever, users will have the ability to stream events live from the Fan Network on their mobile devices.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4cca9113-a685-4578-a723-0b3f3924e903#ixzz32NQJ0qLE

Let's hope that rings true.

Edited by Old Corps Guy