What did I miss?

I go into drum corps around 200 when I was still in high school and ended up marching from 2002-2005, aging out as a cymbal player in Crossmen. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan. Well now I'm back, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and am thinking about heading over to see the San Antonio show this summer.

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps? I was sad to hear that the Glassmen folded, as I used to march there as well. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of some 2013 shows, and I remember all the debates over adding amps and electronics and still think it was a bad idea. I'm kinda sad that singing and sound effects haven't gone away as a fad.

So what other big changes have happened? Do we still get shows like 95 Scouts, 99 SCV, 02 Cavies, etc? Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band? Will I be shocked in SA or still recognize it as the good old brass, percussion, and guard Drum Corps I remember?

And do cymbal lines still exist? I read something about the size being increased to 150 instead of the old 135? Will cymbal lines make a resurgence?

• Like 2

When you say, "Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band?", what do you mean by that? From your perspective, what distinguishes drum corps from marching band? It will be easier to answer your questions if we have a better idea of your perspectives. For instance, I don't think of the '95 Scouts, '99 SCV, and '02 Cavies shows as being particularly similar to one another. While you were away, the Cavaliers certainly produced shows that had affinities with "Frameworks". From a visual perspective, their most impressive show was probably 2008's "Samurai", which just happens to be the most recent "DVD Spotlight of the Week" that Michael Boo discusses on DCI's website. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's been a high-scoring Latin-themed show like "A Drum Crops Fan's Dream", but one show in the past nine years was every bit as popular: Phantom Regiment's "Spartacus", also in 2008. In fact, 2008 might be the best-remembered year overall for DCI during the past decade. Besides the two corps already mentioned, that was when Carolina Crown, the champion in 2013, first seemed like a real contender with their fourth-place "Finis". Since that year, however, there have been at least two significant changes that must be mentioned. First, synthesizers have been permitted since 2009, and for some significant percentage of fans, that has added an unpleasant bass sound to many shows; those fans call it "thunderous goo". Second, championships since 2009 have been held in Lucas Oil Stadium, and it is almost universally agreed that the sound quality in that venue is atrocious, except in a very few prime seats. In my experience, you're better off watching the Finals on the internet live-stream than traveling to Indianapolis. But that brings up a third point: the Fan Network has greatly expanded in the past several years, so that it is possible to see a lot more shows from around the country online. Last year, this was extended to include Finals--but DCI then had enormous difficulties with the stream. Lots of people got partial refunds.

• Like 1

Question: why did you choose a screen name that means "oppressive tyrant"?

• Like 1

I go into drum corps around 200 when I was still in high school and ended up marching from 2002-2005, aging out as a cymbal player in Crossmen. I went to a few shows in 2006 but ended up joining the military and spending some time in Afghanistan. Well now I'm back, I moved from Michigan to Texas, and am thinking about heading over to see the San Antonio show this summer.

My question is, what did I miss in the past 6-8 years of drum corps? I was sad to hear that the Glassmen folded, as I used to march there as well. I've seen a couple YouTube videos of some 2013 shows, and I remember all the debates over adding amps and electronics and still think it was a bad idea. I'm kinda sad that singing and sound effects haven't gone away as a fad.

So what other big changes have happened? Do we still get shows like 95 Scouts, 99 SCV, 02 Cavies, etc? Or has it all mostly gone the way of marching band? Will I be shocked in SA or still recognize it as the good old brass, percussion, and guard Drum Corps I remember?

And do cymbal lines still exist? I read something about the size being increased to 150 instead of the old 135? Will cymbal lines make a resurgence?

Welcome back from Afghanistan. Here is what you missed: the death of drum corps. Yes, drum corps is dead, according to many esteemed members of this very forum. It died and is dying and will die from multiple wounds, mostly inflicted by George Hopkins, who visited upon us a plague of synthesizers, amplification, vocals, trombones and sousaphones. And yet Hopkins still walks about, a free man.

Oh, and only SCV marches cymbals now, but with enough class and showmanship to make up for all the slacker corps who would rather have 10 marimbas instead of only 6 marimbas.

Edited by quietcity

Oh, and only SCV marches cymbals now...

Except for the Academy, Cascades, Colts, Crossmen, Jersey Surf, Mandarins, Oregon Crusaders, Pacific Crest, Pioneer, and Spirit of Atlanta...

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 7

Oh, and G7 happened. Someone want to jump in on this one with a Readers Digest version of events?

• Like 1

Also, when you marched weren't you about 1,800 years overage?

• Like 1

Thanks for your service.

Same activity with just enough new stuff to keep folks on DCP out on the ledge.

Still love it.