Johnstown - Take Two

Ghost.. consider comments on this like the harmless preseason prediction threads, Here at least, we've seen and heard something. The placement prediction threads ? , Nobody knows a thing... But it doesn't stop us from predicting placements, you know what I'm sayin' ?

&U(*^%*^(&)^(

Some of us are used to high velocity drills in the visuals from The Cadets. Its almost their calling card,( well except perhaps for last year). Anybody that sees this visual as in the same quality of drill writing as that of The Cadets Title winning " Angels and Demons " drill writing with the Visuals, is certainly entitled to that opinion, but they are looking at this drill writing with the Visuals then through an entirely different eyeball lense than I am ( nothing wrong with this of course ). In my assessment, this is nothing like the high velocity, high demand, high creativity, high scoring visual design of just a couple of years ago, imo. But, maybe the judges will love this designed show, as Gawd only knows what the judges see and like isn't always what I see, hear, and like. So who knows. We'll see. And from reading the posts of others here, they see this design as a contender and as something unique, compelling, and potentially title winning, or close to it. I guess we'll just have to let it play out to find out. They could add lots of stuff, and what we see today may look entirely better come Finals too.. The Corps has marcher talent here, that much seems clear to me anyway as well.

The closer drill hasn't been seen yet and they tend to beef up things as the season progresses. I doubt "demand" will be an issue for the Cadets and several shows in the past few years have been contenders and won that were hardly running and gunning. Not sure proper credit has been given in that area for quite some time anyway. It's more design/concept/performance level vs 220 bpm drills.

Edited by theCHEZman

I am liking what I see so far..Given time and the cleaning/changes along the way, I am sure it will be memorable by August.

I particularly like how the closer brings back shades of 87. As they were playing the last 30 seconds, I began thinking how cool it would be to see the "dissolving company front" making a comeback. It would be incredible to see that on the field once more to end their show.

Edited by Dmlkmen

&U(*^%*^(&)^(

Well, its hard to disagree with any of that ( haha!)

• Like 1

Cadets: FDR re. While I support his foreign policy decisions,(WW2), I feel he helped prolong the Depression.

How does the Cadets show take any sort of stance on FDR's policy decisions? The show seems to me to be about great speeches given by three titan presidents of American history with the backdrop of a great American composer. The three chosen presidents happen to be somewhat liberal, but look deeper into two larger common themes: (i) they are iconic, and (ii) they each represent turning points in American history. Perhaps you don't support the side of history on which they stand, but that makes them no less historic figures.

No president is without controversy (except I think we can all agree that Martin Van Buren had outstanding sideburns). One option is to not share these great words and do a show about fluffy kittens (though this would offend me, as I'm allergic).

(and I won't respond to FDR prolonging the Depression...)

• Like 3

I'm having trouble putting the feeling in words...I just can't get over the "straight-ahead-ness" of everything--the music, the arranging, the drill. That will appeal to a lot of people, I suppose, but I feel like the same people will be turned off by the narration and prop, and it won't do well with the judges.

Also, icons of the last 200 years: Lincoln, (FD) Roosevelt, Kennedy, Bocook

"Bocook" ? I think you meant to include the name of a DCI icon here, but swung and missed.

Well, I don't know how old you are, but there are lots of ways for propaganda to happen without you being made aware that it's happening.

To answer your question, I'm a college student.

A little confused by your wording, are you referring to something similar to advertisements where people see a commercial and think that they aren't influenced by it, but in actuality they subconsciously are? Or did I misunderstand you completely?

General question I have, not necessarily directed towards you: why is it wrong for a corps to have a political viewpoint expressed in a drum corps show? Art itself is a communication of viewpoints, feelings, emotions, and expressions through a beautiful medium. Are people super against this because a corps might be expressing a viewpoint differing from their own or do they not like the idea of expressing political views in general? Why haven't I seen any Crossmen members complain about having to march the politically charged shows of the past two years? (if there have been such posts, I'll shut up)

Whatever the feeling I may have with the show, I'm looking forward to seeing how it does this year.

I'm more in an analytical mode this season than a personal enjoyment mode. I think they have good fundamentals, but I'm not sure how some of this will be scored.

So I'm interested in how it will be scored compared to the wild things I've seen from some other corps videos so far.