Drum Corps in Florida

All are valid points and I totally agree...Florida is hot and rainy....I know, I live in central Florida.

Also, with as many large corporations as there are in Florida it just dumbfounds me that no one will support and back a World Class Drum Corp...I know a lot of people give Star flack for the way Bill Cook funded them but he was a great business man. The companies he created to fund the corps provided the opportunity to have long term financial stability and for the life of me I can't figure out why no other corporations will follow that model and back/start a corps.

Is drum corps that dead to the outside world? Is it only known in our small circle? One last thing....why doesn't DCI advertise more....look how sports are shoved down our throats on an hourly basis but you very rarely, if ever, hear about drum corps or DCI...confusing and frustrating.

Cook was a very rare situation. 1st someone with money and connections and actually liked drum corps. Why would a corporation start a corps, other than a write off.

To answer your other questions,,,,,yes and yes..also advertising is backed by sponsors and is all about making money and of course spending money.Lots of it

Edited by GUARDLING

Make it your life-long mission and start one.

I myself have been curious about what, in particular, seems to make financing a Florida corps so difficult. Is there anything specific, i.e. state laws regarding nonprofits, that has contributed to Florida's inability to sustain a home team?

• Like 1

I myself have been curious about what, in particular, seems to make financing a Florida corps so difficult. Is there anything specific, i.e. state laws regarding nonprofits, that has contributed to Florida's inability to sustain a home team?

insects?

• Like 1

Make it your life-long mission and start one.

Trust me I've thought about it but I would need like minded individuals and I've yet to fine any in central Florida...among many other things...

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Florida drum corps the lack of financial backing is something that has always hindered the corps in the state. While developing Teal......we saw funding come and go through City of Jacksonville, corporate sponsors, convention playing gigs( that do pay great money, but hard to develop with having available members to perform due to travel for said members, etc.......). Also another aspect or problem is having enough support of local members to engage an active base for volunteers and board membership. Without the proper funding and backing, i.e alumni, sponsors, so forth and so on.....developing more than an Open Class or maybe even a Sound Sport team from Florida will be very difficult. To stay competitive on the World Class stage, even at the 15 - 20 placement range requires an annual budget of at least 750k, which in today's non-profits is something that is very difficult to do without a steady source flow of income.

• Like 1

Florida? Its anywhere, why do you think there are so many less corps then the past MONEY

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Yup all 101 of these things are why drum corps (or anything) can't happen in Florida

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid

Edited by Cappybara

Yup all 101 of these things are why drum corps (or anything) can't happen in Florida

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid

I'll agree....there are a lot of crazies in FL. Edited by nallop24
  • Like 1

Some excellent points from all. Someone had asked about why Texas gets much better treatment from DCI and why more out-of-state corps seem to hold satelite operations there, even when Texas has only 1 World Class Drum Corps (Crossmen).

This is a multi-pronged answer:

1. DCI did try to push hard for Florida. DCI Finals were held there 4 times (96, 97, 98, and 2003). They held a regional in Orlando for many years after. For a myriad of reasons, attendance wasn't great and the fans complained...a lot.

2. In terms of school band programs, Texas is a lot more like Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.--only much bigger. In terms of sheer talent, Texas easily has the most "really good" band programs in the country. There are plenty of prospectives for all the corps to go after, so of course those corps cater to that talent by hosting camps in the state.

3. Because of this there was little reason for World Class or Open Class corps to start-up in the state. High school and college students had an easy time of finding just about any corps they wanted, right in their back yard. For many Texans, they prefered to ultimately march with corps located in the northern midwest, plains states, or east and west coat. But location wasn't the only thing. Many of Texas' best players wanted to go perform with the BEST corps. They wanted already-established groups with proven track records (as someone else mentioned).

4. DCI is not concerned whether more corps sprout up in Texas. The Texas DCI shows are all about recruiting talent. Period.

I am not as aware of the quality of Florida's band programs. I do know that many are outstanding. I am sure there is a lot of talent in the state, and I do believe more drum corps should try to get that talent. Also, at one time Florida did have a track record of having several wonderful drum corps. Suncoast Sound was legendary in the 80s, and Magic of Orlando also gave us many thrilling shows. I miss both dearly. The state of Texas never had a D1 World Class corps sprout up internally. The Crossmen were bought from YEA and relocated to San Antonio. All in all, Texas supports drum corps shows in an incredible way. Attendance at shows down there are typically really good. The shows make money. Corps are paid well. There are plenty of schools and facilities for the corps to use when traveling through the state, and there is a PLETHORA of talent. Just about every top 12 corps has some Texas talent in their ranks.

This is why DCI pushes Texas. But in fairness, DCI really pushed Florida, too. It just didn't pan out as planned. I, for one, hope that changes.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Having moved down from Long Island and being involed in drum corps most of my life ,I live in Jacksonville and had called Teal Sound 3 years ago to get involed with the corps .At that time they where on good grounds ,money was there.But i live near a police station ,i asked a lot of cops about Teal .not one of them knew of them .I come to find out they where using the high school field here in Orange Park,then moved futher south to the Saint Augustine area ,They also had week end camps in Georgia just over the state line ,The following year saw new mangement ,Don't know all the story ,but they took the corps out on tour ,Frist show was Fort Edward ,New York ,got there and had no money to pay for the buses ,I presume DCI carryed the corps throught mid season and just before DCI south the corps ended tour and returned home ,Would have been nice if they had completed in Atlanta then ended there season,The following year under new mangement again and a name change to just TEAL they tried to hold the corps together but it never got off the ground .I had talked with them about getting involed with the Jacksonville Jaquars picking up some half time shows for the money and exposure .But the Jaquars have a drum line that entertains half time .I still think Jacksonville can support a world class corps either junior or all =age .Jacksonville has now got a class soccer team thanks to the ower of the Jaquars ,And he might be the one to fund a corps to represent the City of Jacksonville .Its a thought

• Like 1