Sunday's Crown performance

My feed came in fine -- wired DSL. My wife was watching with a cell to wifi adapter on her iPad and said it was freezing up for a while. But, I think it straightened out when the show started.

That's troubling. I have wired fiber and normally stream things perfectly. Hopefully it is just a one time hangup. Anyone now if they are planning on using youtube all season?

Clearly unfinished, but mesmerizing, unique and a wonderful performance. I can't wait to see this show in August. Super excited.

• Like 1

This show has some great potential, but it feels really disjointed at this point, as in I could clearly feel where the opener, drum feature, ballad, and closer started and stopped, but it's June, so that can be worked out. The space theme can probably be sold a bit more, and maybe some work can be put in during that 'muffler' percussion feature (it was too long and didn't have enough going on for my taste, but I do love that sound). I am glad they have an actual percussion feature as well. It was awfully dirty, but it's before the actual season, so I forgive that, and it has some good vocabulary.

That brass can play. Wow. 100 times wow. However, maybe it's too much. It feels like, "Look at all the notes our brass can play," followed by, "Have some big block chords!" There is some great possibility to make the brass book more melodic, so I hope they water down the technicality a bit in favor of that. And for the love of all that is holy, play Jupiter! You tease and tease and tease at the planets, and then when I can feel a big Jupiter section, you go into a technical brass part (which is quite amazing, but nowhere near as effective or interesting as a big fat Jupiter chorus).

Turquoise works much better in comparison to purple, but I still miss the cream (looks like it's gone for good). The guard uniforms are not great, but I've not been impressed with most of the guard uniforms this year.

Looking forward to see this show grow over the summer.

• Like 2

Amazing horn line again. And well-developed and integrated show, everything fit and made sense, flowed well. But end of show seemed a bit basic, I assume they will jazz it up over the season.

Lot of visual and musical GE, and lots of notes, of course. But show is not as musical or artistically compelling as BD's show. Crown's show is not very emotional; seems more intent on delivering "shock and awe". Which is a fine choice, just feels a bit cold.

Trampolines did not add much, kind of distracting. Overall effect was: hey, look, people jumping up and down on trampolines. Aural effect of persuasion dispersed around field, could not really tell, but added to visual clutter. The "gamelan" pod was visually pretty nifty, and sounded great (what were the snares playing, car mufflers?)

Uni's are great color combo. Guard outfit not flattering to the individual, but overall effect ties in well with musicians. Guard (and everybody else) does lot of interpretive movement, which gets a bit pretentious / tedious after a while. 27th Lancer rifles, where have you gone!!!

My gut reaction is BD has better overall show, but Crown could win with execution. And Cadets have lot to worry about.

Edited by quietcity

lol the down-with-crown gang has appeared!

of course there are similiarities to the past.

guess what: Bocook arrangments sound like Bocook arrangments -- every season. Chandler guards look like Chandler guards -- every season. Gaines drill looks--wait -- strike that. Anyway...

If you didn't like Klesch/Markworth/Hannum/Townsend/Potter designs in the past, you probably won't like them in 2014.

And if Crown beat your team last season and you didn't undestand why. they're gonna do it again this season and you STILL won't know why.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 7

If there was one thing I really really did not like in this show, it was that "metal" percussion feature. I'm not much of a percussionist (read: I'm not a percussionist in the slightest), but I really found that part boring.

I loved that part.

This was just to much for me. There were so many props on the field. When BD uses props, they have very little of them and they use them effectively. This is a good show, but it was just to much. I do not see them repeating as champions this year. Like I said, good show music was good, I heard a little Planets for Holst, but I think they are overdoing it this year.

BD used like 100 chairs a couples of years ago.

Like 100 poles last year.

Like 20 mirrors one year.

Enough PVC poles to make the outline of a house one year.

10 something rolling tables, and 20 something chairs this year.

BD is the King or Queen of props.

• Like 4

This was just to much for me. There were so many props on the field. When BD uses props, they have very little of them and they use them effectively. This is a good show, but it was just to much. I do not see them repeating as champions this year. Like I said, good show music was good, I heard a little Planets for Holst, but I think they are overdoing it this year.

Hmmmmm....mirrors, chairs, poles. If BD had "very little" of them, I'd hate to see a copious amount.

• Like 3

lol the down-with-crown gang has appeared!

of course there are similiarities to the past.

guess what: Bocook arrangments sound like Bocook arrangments -- every season. Chandler guards looks like Chandler guards -- every season. Gaines drill looks--wait -- strike that. Anyway...

If you didn't like Klesch/Markworth/Hannum/Townsend/Potter designs in the past, you probably won't like them in 2014.

And if Crown beat your team last season and you didn't undestand why. they're gonna do it again the season and you STILL won't know why.

lol... there's being a fan and then there's being a defender of all things - ie: fandom

I love Crown. This is redudent. Very.