DCI West - Stanford, CA

Which is weird, because last years' drill was incredibly easy.

Ok, yes sorry, with a few exceptions...like last year, which was pretty easy (and look at where they placed). Tonight reminded me of 2003 and the like, where the drill is cool and all, but just stays dirty all the way up to finals. 2003 was one of my favorite SCV shows musically, just dirty as all hell.

Hopefully they can clean it, because I love SCV but it was just awful dirty tonight. Long way to go.

• Like 1

Boston's music is fantastic

I saw them tonight. The music was pretty good but I don't see how it fits their theme of "Animal Farm". I'm going to do more research on it but for now it was kind of a head scratcher in Akron tonight.

I'll go back and look for it. I loved the music and would like to love the total package.

I saw a lot of movement on the field, but took away that the members playing the difficult passages were pretty still. This happened a lot with cavi's in frameworks too. I realize this is a cleanliness technique that is purposely written into the book. It's not the kids' fault.

Doesn't seem to hurt their scores, so why not?

All kidding aside, more and more Corps here in 2014 in my early observation are playing musical arrangements with a bit more pleasing, melodic, arrangements.

I love SCV ... but their drill looks typical of their past 10 years or so, which is too difficult for them to clean in time to be a contender.

Fair enough. I still prefer it to BD's drill, which, as often the past few years, has what seem to be the equivalent of figure skating's "compulsory" moves to demonstrate that they do the hard stuff (like the Madison Scouts-style vertical-to-diagonal file, in BD's case amidst obstacles--they did it last year too), around which there's too many amorphous forms and movement that neither look very interesting nor very judge-able. But again, this is an enjoyable show that I can easily see this show winning a championship (although I think it's far from guaranteed).

• Like 1

I did. And every time the music got complex, the winds stopped moving... Save for one 5 second chunk.

lol -- someone pull out the stopwatch .. although you've gone from saying BD's not playing and moving to just not playing anything "complex" while moving... except for 5 seconds. LOL Come ON buddy!

Fantastic show by BD. Great book, visuals ... and I'd say the drill is fantastic .. particularly the entire closing number. And finally ... a show that fans can sink their teeth into. The last few years have been about esoteric excellence. This looks to be both about excellence and an entertaining show. It's going to be a great, competitive season. Cadets and Crown look outstanding as well.

Doesn't seem to hurt their scores, so why not?

If your sole goal is a ring, I agree completely. That's not meant to be an insult, although I know it sounds like it is. Different organizations have different goals and teachings.