Moving Up or Down in DCI Competition - The Data

YES! more that the system had little accountability of judges and that it was extremely subjective...ONE HOT MESS

it makes today look objective

• Like 1

A couple things, it seems like every year more and more corps have auditions in Texas, so everyone is feeding off of the large population within the state and quality band programs there (again, by virtue of large population). That could in part hurt Crossmen, as although they don't have "near" competition, for a camp or two there is, and that's when it matters most, during the audition process.

Also, as seems to be a general consensus, retention is key. Marc Sylvester said it best a few years back, "The best talent out there are Blue Knights [insert your corps here] wearing other uniforms."

It's not **just** the large population of great band programs; that state has money. Other states are broke and their music programs are declining a bit. Texas has the oil money coming in and making it boom. Look at Austin. $$$$$$ and several BOA GN bands just in that city. It's almost like being in Indy with more $$$$$!

Let's face it....the talent pool is deep, and there's fewer corps to go to.So even if someone leaves BD, someone good has to step up and replace them. the corps at the top rarely have massive staff shakeups anymore...best recent example would be whats happened to Cavies with Gaines gone.

The impetus is on the lower corps to make themselves more attractive for top talent to go there, and for top designers and staff to make those places their home. Not just a mail in drill or horn book, but a place they plant their flag.

paying fees because someone leaves is ludicrous. it's like you think this is MLB pre-Curt Flood where once you go to a team, you're there for life. It doesn't work that way. Once a season ends, that persons commitment to that corps ends.

I think Jeff makes the best arguments in this regard. When someone marches with a corps they are essentially signing a 1-year contract and paying money out of pocket to receive whatever education and performance opportunities they desire. At the end of the year if they desire a different perspective, education, and performance style, then so be it.

Also, Jeff's comments on good instructors and designers working with lower-placing corps is a good one. The lower-place corps need to stop allowing music and drill designers to mail it in. They often do this so they can also say that they hired one of the "big dogs" to write their show. But in the long run most of those shows don't work as well and adjustments are more difficult to come by when needed. There is a'Plenty of talent out there, instructors and marchers.

what is a transfer policy?

In DCI ? there is no such thing as " a transfer policy ". Theoretically,( and legally,) a marcher(s) can step into any Corps the week before Championships, and perform at Championships with any Corps, provided they are of legal age.. He or she doesn't even have to pay any debts to his previous Corps as a legal requirement to do so,... and if his or her new Corps wants to put those marchers out there at Championships they can do so, and not be denied under current DCI rules no matter how the other Corps may object. Having a " no transfer policy " means precisely that, ie marchers can unrestrictively transfer between Corps at ANY time, whether its in the offseason, or even on the nite of Finals for that matter..., and everything in between.

Edited by BRASSO

In DCI ? there is no such thing as " a transfer policy ". Theoretically,( and legally,) a marcher(s) can step into any Corps the week before Championships, and perform at Championships with any Corps, provided they are of legal age.. He or she doesn't even have to pay any debts to his previous Corps as a legal requirement to do so,... and if his or her new Corps wants to put those marchers out there at Championships they can do so, and not be denied under current DCI rules no matter how the other Corps may object. Having a " no transfer policy " means precisely that, ie marchers can unrestrictively transfer between Corps at ANY time, whether its in the offseason, or even on the nite of Finals for that matter..., and everything in between.

So, are you saying this issue is the reason corps placements don't flip flop? The cadevaliersinaguardcoats are snatching up lower corps talent on tour and during finals week?

So, are you saying this issue is the reason corps placements don't flip flop? The cadevaliersinaguardcoats are snatching up lower corps talent on tour and during finals week?

No,.... nothing in my remarks should have one draw such a ridiculous conclusion either. So this is essentially a meaningless reply barely worth even my responding too.

Great topic for discussion. Thinking about the transfer policy and spinning this in another direction. Reward the members monetarily for loyalty to stay with a corps through their age out. Example: You have a member that has four years of eligibility to march in drum corps. Deduct a percentage per year of corps fees or a stipend for each year they stay with the original corps. Would this convince someone not to transfer? Depending on the amount saved per year maybe. Corps run on tight budgets and this may not be a viable option but worth discussion none the less. The emphasis with many kids is getting a medal and not about loyalty. It can be very difficult for the "lower tier" corps to have a semblance of stability and potential to grow when they continually feed into the higher echelon corps. To me another byproduct of loyalty is leadership. If a member stays with a corps through out their tenure, a familiarity with that program/culture lends itself to members being good leaders within the organization. Bouncing from corps to corps limits the opportunities for a leadership role in the corps. Personal experience, my daughter had numerous opportunities to "jump ship" but decided to stay her four years. Did not make finals her age out but told me she would not change her decision if she had to do it all over again. Medals fade but character, loyalty and leadership lasts a lifetime.

No,.... nothing in my remarks should have one draw such a ridiculous conclusion either. So this is essentially a meaningless reply barely worth even my responding too.

Yet, it did.

You wrote a paragraph on a potential problem. I was merely trying to figure out if this problem was a real issue, something that would require a rules congress. I thought maybe you had knowledge, or heard stories of corps nabbing other members on tour, that is all. If it is not an issue, which one is meaningless, my response or your proposition?

Great topic for discussion. Thinking about the transfer policy and spinning this in another direction. Reward the members monetarily for loyalty to stay with a corps through their age out. Example: You have a member that has four years of eligibility to march in drum corps. Deduct a percentage per year of corps fees or a stipend for each year they stay with the original corps. Would this convince someone not to transfer? Depending on the amount saved per year maybe. Corps run on tight budgets and this may not be a viable option but worth discussion none the less. The emphasis with many kids is getting a medal and not about loyalty. It can be very difficult for the "lower tier" corps to have a semblance of stability and potential to grow when they continually feed into the higher echelon corps. To me another byproduct of loyalty is leadership. If a member stays with a corps through out their tenure, a familiarity with that program/culture lends itself to members being good leaders within the organization. Bouncing from corps to corps limits the opportunities for a leadership role in the corps. Personal experience, my daughter had numerous opportunities to "jump ship" but decided to stay her four years. Did not make finals her age out but told me she would not change her decision if she had to do it all over again. Medals fade but character, loyalty and leadership lasts a lifetime.

Sounds to me like great parenting is the best transfer policy of all.