Moving Up or Down in DCI Competition - The Data

What are the transfer policies for club soccer? Club football?

DCI isn't like a collegiate sport or professional league.

DCI is a club sport. You pay into the club so you control where you go. The best clubs attract the best talent. The end.

• Like 2

So we are clear.. there is NO established transfer policy in place in DCI..as such, there is no restrictions in place whatsoever for a marcher to be unable transfer to another Corps AT ANY TIME. There is also history of it being rare and practicality at play here, of course. But there is nothing that prevents a Corps from taking marcher from another Corps.. that might even be a top performer from that Corps... into their Corps, up to, and including Finals Night. No way thats even permitted to not be addressed as a contingency in every other youth competitive sport in the entire world. Not having a transfer policy in place, means exactly what it means.. " no transfer policy in place ". And as near as I can tell, there is virtually no interest in having one either in DCI. Which, as I said above, must seem weirder than weird to just about every other youth competitive team sport organization in the world.

If you a midfielder and you go to another team, yes the play is different and the style is different but you're doing the same job. Do you really believe that even the most highly talented soloist could go to, say, Pioneer, during Finals Week and be effective at all?

You're being highly unrealistic and working within a metaphor that doesn't fit. Again, DCI is a club sport.

• Like 1

No. Have you ever read one of those Corps Contracts ? There is not a thing written in any of them that I'm aware of ( unless they've changed them ) that either A) restricts a Corps from dropping you from the Corps at will ( with some level refund possible depending upon the circumstances ) or B) restricts a marcher from leaving the Corps too for any reason, and at ANY time ( "midseason" or not ) and then doing whatever he or she wants to do.. up to and including marching with another Corps. ( Cadets have reportedly had marchers transfer from marcihing with the DCI Cadets and go march DCA Cadets2 in the same summer season for just one example of this. )

Many DCI marchers have gone on to march DCA corps the last few weeks of the season, not just the Cadets-to-Cadets2. That has been happening forever. BTW, C2 also had a members of SOA march with them for DCA champs their first year.

That may be a slight exaggeration...

My only point would be, "Fine, issue a rule that prohibits members transferring from a lower corps to a higher corps after some date...5/31 say."

There, done. Now, will that help last years 10th place corps move up to 5th?

You said it was theoretically possible, but then called me ridiculous for asking if it was a real problem. Now you bring it up again in this post. I'm having a hard time following what it is you're really trying to achieve.

You ask me to agree to something about which I know nothing. I don't have a clue as to any rules of DCI. If you say there are no such policies then I have no reason to doubt you. If that was your whole point then...cool. I was merely following a topic of discussion on transfer policies creating increased competitive corps placements, which seemed to me at the time something valuable to at least consider.

If there was a large problem with members leaving a corps in the lurch mid-season to move to another corps, don't you think DCI would have created some sort of rule by now? Brasso has a solution in search of a problem with this one.

• Like 1

What are the transfer policies for club soccer? Club football?

Why do you ask ? But since you asked.. the short answer is : " it depends on the league and their player eligibility transfer rules among the competition teams in their league that they adopted.".

They all have have them. Surely you are not trying to advance the silly and inaccurate position that most Club Soccer and Club Football leagues in competition leagues where they have scores, placements, playoffs, referees, standings, trophies, etc..( similar to DCI Drum Corps competition in this respect,) DON'T have team player transfer policies in place among the teams in their competition leagues...... or are you ?

Edited by BRASSO

Why do you ask ? But since you asked.. the short answer is : " it depends on the league and their player eligibility transfer rules among the competition teams in their league that they adopted.".

They all have have them. Surely you are not trying to advance the silly and inaccurate position that most Club Soccer and Club Football leagues in competition leagues where they have scores, placements, playoffs, referees, standings, trophies, etc..( similar to DCI Drum Corps competition in this respect,) DON'T have team player transfer policies in place among the teams in their competition leagues...... or are you ?

My son plays club baseball and used to play club soccer. i think this is the most apropos comparison since its something you pay to do and usually because its a higher level than whats offered in your town (akin to getting stuck in a HS with a bad band). None of them ever had any type of transfer policy. We paid, we played. Next season we could pay and play there again, or try out for any number of other clubs and go there if we wanted.

You're being highly unrealistic and working within a metaphor that doesn't fit. Again, DCI is a club sport.

Club sports that have team league competition with " referees " ( judges ) as DCI has ; have league standings ( as DCI Corps competition does ) ; have team rosters established before the season competition begins ( as DCI Corps do );.have playoffs to qualify for " Finals " ( as DCI Corps undergo ) ; have Championship declared winners with scores and placements ( as DCI Corps undergo ) ; have trophies and rings provided to the league Champion ( as DCI provides ) ; and so forth., etc, ALL have league established player and team roster "transfer policies". in place. So I really don't know what further to tell you other than if you believe that DCI is like these" club sport "leagues described herein, then DCI is unlike these competition leagues described chiefly as a result of DCI's absence of league rules for team player '" transfer rules " among its league competition teams. But thank you for making my case nonetheless for the feasability study of developing reasonable and sensible player transfer rules that ALL youth and adult sports leagues have that are involved in team competition, as you just stated that " DCI is a club sport " ( but one that is singularly identifiable as one without any team personnel transfer rules established by the league, but which is the norm throughout the entire world for similarly described team competition " club sports ".)

Edited by BRASSO

Many DCI marchers have gone on to march DCA corps the last few weeks of the season, not just the Cadets-to-Cadets2. That has been happening forever. BTW, C2 also had a members of SOA march with them for DCA champs their first year.

You further illustrate my point. Due the fact that that there are no transfer policies in place, " teams " ( ie Corps ) can take in " players " ( ie marchers ) from another Corps, at any time, and without limitation or restrictions whatsoever. For another illustration, there is nothing any DCI member Corps could do under the current DCI non restrictive policies that would disallow a DCI Corps at finals from incorporating a marcher or marchers from another competitive DCI Corps into their ranks for Finals either. Its not the fact that the likihood of this is remote, it is the fact that no other youth competition sport in the world that I'm aware of has not addressed.. and early on.. this very contingency and made it explicitly prohibited under their youth and adult team sports competition league rules. DCI has no established Corps to Corps ( ie, " team to team " ) player transfer rules in place.. ...of any kind. To any and all outsiders that have participated in team competition sports, this surely must be considered singularly unusual indeed.

Edited by BRASSO

If there was a large problem with members leaving a corps in the lurch mid-season to move to another corps, don't you think DCI would have created some sort of rule by now? Brasso has a solution in search of a problem with this one.

theres no problem people up and leaving any corps for another during the season.If EVER there was , directors handled it . No need for more rules to keep even more kids away..especially when they pay...youre right...a solution in search of a problem..or seems it

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Brasso has a solution in search of a problem with this one.

What are you saying here ?.. that sports leagues ( or any organization for that matter ) don't put in rules until after.. AFTER ...they have "a problem "? Are you kidding ? We put in proactive rules in place all the time, in all organizations, to PREVENT future possible "problems" from cropping up. DCI is chock full of placement competitive inertia for its championships. You can't name me a single sports league in the world that has dozens of teams each year competing but where just 3 of them have won over 40% of the titles the last 35 years. You might not see this as " a problem" ( you're an alum of a Corps that wanted to rig the system even more to their benefit by permanently creating a 7 Corps permanent slotting system within their competitive division and under threats of extortion as their method of introduction of its proposal ). So of course you don't want any sensible and reasonable transfer policies even to be considered. The totally wide open system " upload " benefits your former Corps bigtime... and I " get " that as a result you don't want to even consider the possibility of a feasabiliity study to determine if DCI has a " problem " here with its highly unusual practice of having essentiallly no marcher transfer poliicies in place of any kind. Good grief, you'd think from reading things on DCP here that Drum Corps circuits have never had reasonable and sensible transfer policies in place before for their member Corps. But of course they have, and it worked out reasonably well.. and as intended..., and with realatively few complaints from parents and mnarchers too... and most importantly it added a measure of stability to the association corps, even in uncertain and unstable times. But you don't even want to consider some changes in this regard... as DCI is doing fantastically well of late in its growth of Corps, fans, etc, and so there's no need in your view ( and apparently the view of orther DCPers ) to even want to consider a DCI study to consider if it needs to alter its current modus operandi regarding the annual unfettered flow of marchers between competitive teams in its same competitive division..

Edited by BRASSO