Brass instruments rule change 2014

Who cares about trombones? Let's get these woodwinds on the field next season !

Who cares about trombones? Let's get these woodwinds on the field next season !

Ever cross your mind that adding trombones/all brass have probably prolonged the entrance of woodwinds into the activity? Think about it, the shortest time frame we've ever had between major hornline instrumentation overhauls was 10 years (3 valved G horns to Bb/any key marching bell fronts...1990-2000). It took us 14 years from then to get to this one. 12 years to go from two valves to three. Change takes time to adjust to. What makes you think it will be any shorter of an interval between all brass to woodwinds? Oh don't get me wrong....woodwinds WILL come. But I think all brass has pushed it back quite a distance in the future at this point.

Bryston

Four of them.

Sweetness. Must image like mad. Sonus Faber / Musical Fidelity myself. Not to derail too much, but maybe your next poll could be on what kind of equipment DCP folks use to listen to drum corps.

Sherwood 8910 receiver. AR4x, JBL 20-T upstairs.

Pioneer SX-850 receiver JBL L-96 and AR 2ax speakers. downstairs.

I like the AR's the best. Very warm sounding. The JBL are very detailed. Both together compliment each other.

So, since the season is under way and I don't see this being discussed anywhere else, I figured this would be a good thread to start.

What corps have started taking advantage of the ability to use trombones and other brass instruments previously not allowed?

The only ones I've seen so far are SCV. Can anyone who has seen the show live tell us just how these instruments are being used?

Sneak peak at Cadets 2015

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152559753027813&set=vb.691737812&type=2&theater

Trombones can't be heard without microphones? You're either joking, biased, or just not very knowledgeable on the matter.

Right, so that's why Madison used a microphone on the trombone soloist, so we could hear the beautiful warm tone of the polypropylene speaker cone in the sound system. What would it sound like without amplification? Rather puny, actually. Being a trombone player who arranged for marching bands for twenty years, I am somewhat familiar with how trombones sound on the field. SCV uses trombones for what they're best for outdoors; Madison uses them for what they're the worst for outdoors.

My hope is that if corps have to use trombones, they at least use bass trombones to regain the sound they lost when they switched from contrabass bugles to tubas.

Then again, if you're gonna use trombones, do it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuSDuL2MgDQ

Anyone have any drum corps LPs from the 1970s they wanna sell?

Yes. but I would need to know first if you'd take in exchange for my sale to you of my Drum Corps 70's LP's, can I have as payment nine 1970 imitation car mufflers, and one bando looking crown shako ?

Edited by BRASSO