Magnificent Muncie, IN

It means you said something bad about Madison. That's really one of the few ways to get one. I've been here for what feels like a decade. One colored comment about Madison got me sent to the hole.

After all the things I have seen said over the years, it is hard to imagine what possibly could get you in trouble.

What I'm saying is sound mixing with dialogue is extremely difficult, and even one of the best technical directors in Hollywood (Christopher Nolan), with $100's of millions in budget & the best tech workers in the business still struggle to get a perfect mix sometimes. As NE Brigand points out, live dialogue mixing is significantly harder.

This is so true. At first, when the rules allowed for all this audio, narration, singing, amplification, etc., I wondered just who was going to mix all these elements correctly so we still hear brass and percussion, but more so to ensure that we don't get cheap quality and dropped signals, and distortion.

The Bluecoats got it right almost from the start. They invested in expensive equipment and hired the best sound mixers for live performance to come and help. Audio engineering is a complicated beast. As you have stated, even top Hollywood productions with millions in budget can't always nail this stuff. Post-production audio guys are trying to mix the music soundtrack, the dialog (that recorded in the field and that recorded in the studio -- voice overs or voice dubbing), special effects, natural environmental sounds from live shots, narration (which many movies employ); and they often have a difficult time getting the perfect mix.

This is often why rock groups must lip sync for some live performances. Mixing live sound with thousands of screaming fans would naturally mess-up any mix. Being able to hear your fellow singers, who might be standing 5 to 10 feet from you in a stadium filled with screaming fans can be almost impossible. How do you even hear to keep things in tune? Well, they do use those special ear-buds that allow for a small mix of the rhythm section and one for a mix of the vocalists, but it would still be crazy with all those fans. Locking in time and intonation can be a challenge.

Well I have noticed that BDB got this new guy doing sound and it's a whole lot better now. It really is an art doing sound. I am not against amps for the most part. I actually like the sound of a drum set mic'd correctly. It is what it is so learning to live with it can't hurt.

What was the girl doing when the trumpets were playing into the mics?

She was singing Great Gig. It's a trio with the trumpets. They really need to turn her up

Just so y'all know, they put this performance up on VOD now, and they got rid of the echos in both the cavaliers videos and the PR video. I'm pretty impressed with the FN, I can understand they messed up on the live stream, but we are only human, and my time in robotics has proved that electronics NEVER, EVER work perfectly right. The fact that they went through and fixed the mistake is pretty admirable.

• Like 1

Just so y'all know, they put this performance up on VOD now, and they got rid of the echos in both the cavaliers videos and the PR video. I'm pretty impressed with the FN, I can understand they messed up on the live stream, but we are only human, and my time in robotics has proved that electronics NEVER, EVER work perfectly right. The fact that they went through and fixed the mistake is pretty admirable.

I'm impressed that they were able to fix it. Since people here guessed that the problem was with one of the microphones, I thought there might be nothing that could be done to improve the recordings after the fact.