Why have there been so many negative and hurtful/mean comments made on

Drum Corps News editior posted an editorial in the winter of 1970-71 bemoaning the end of drum corps due to the upcoming themed shows of the Scouts, Cavies and Cadets. I believe he later recanted in a second editorial after actually seeing the shows in the summer.

Having been a long time subscriber to DCN I think that's funny. Ironic as in the mid 60s (articles in NanciDs history blog) DCN was arguing for the move to a more GE based scoring as opposed to more military execution then in use. Yeah, Tony S of the VFW did not agree .

Imagine an internet forum if a corps was disqualified for over age members and everyone found out who reported it.

It would be like the 4th of July (fireworks part).

Edited by Lincoln

Having been a long time subscriber to DCN I think that's funny. Ironic as in the mid 60s (articles in NanciDs history blog) DCN was arguing for the move to a more GE based scoring as opposed to more military execution then in use. Yeah, Tony S of the VFW did not agree .

Don Angelica was a driver behind that, and the World Open adopted the 30-point GE model even as the VFW was still a 10-point GE caption. VFW Nats also still had the 10-point Cadence caption in 1971 as well as the 10-point inspection caption.

Don Angelica was a driver behind that, and the World Open adopted the 30-point GE model even as the VFW was still a 10-point GE caption. VFW Nats also still had the 10-point Cadence caption in 1971 as well as the 10-point inspection caption.

Inspection was worth 10 points of the score?

Inspection was worth 10 points of the score?

Yup...Anaheim scored a 9.0; everybody else was 9.3 or higher.

We (Garfield) tied the Troopers for 1st place with 9.7's, so I guess I can say we were co-national champions in inspection! :tounge2:

What is worse is the silly cadence caption. 10 of 12 corps received 10 out of 10, and two received 9.6's...so we were also co-champions in cadence as well! (though the co-champ pool was huge!). :tounge2:

Edited by MikeD

DCP, and Drum Corps fans in general, are comparatively mild mannerd and temperate in their remarks compared with just about any sports message board, political board, etc one can find on the internet, imo.

Few fans boo 18-22 soloists, or Corps if they don't perform up to our personal expectations. Few on this DCP site are calling for the impeachment of the DCI Executive Director, few are publically calling for the ouster of any Corps Show Designers... no Corps 18-22 year old corps marchers are getting off busses at Stadiums and being greeted with profanity laced catcalls, and verbal abuse, harrassment, and attempts at intimidations .We don't witness fan violence in the stands that lead to both arrests, injuries, death, et.( this is not European " football")... we rarely see drunken behavior in the stands...nobody on DCP has to go to court becuse they fear another fan on the website has threatened to kill them or do bodily harm to them. ... there is no profanity and personal attacks allowed on DCP..... I could go on.... heck RAMD was even comparatively mild compared to thousands of sports fan message boards, and political boards that are out there today. We should be grateful that the few mean spirited people that we rarely meet at Drum Corps shows or on DCP are exceeedingly rare indeed, and that Drum Corps fans, and even the overwhelming vast majority of DCP'ers here are for the most part pretty tame in their commentaries and in their discussions with one another, despite our occassional heated disagreements on things. The criticism of Drum Corps fans we hear in isolated quarters in my opinion is way, way, overblown and really unnecessary, as for the most part Drum Corps fans are by and large primarily known for their absence of outrageous behaviors, not because of it.

Edited by BRASSO

Had to laugh when I read BRASSOS post about other internet posting sites. Somewhere in the comment section on one of a the trillion cat videos on YT is the following:

"We declawed our cat because <forget reason>".

Followed by:

"You should get your fingers cut off at the first knuckle to see how it feels".

No second person was not kidding.... and people wonder why I don't like putting my full name in a public place.

Here on DCP.. so far... so good...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Oh, goodness yes. FAR worse used to happen back in the day, esp with urban areas that had neighborhood-based corps competing against each other.

One example: GSC championships I marched in in 1969 featured an on-field after-retreat battle between St Andrew's Bridgemen from Bayonne and St Martin's Troubadors from Newark. The moderator of St. Martin's dissolved the corps immediately after the fight.

Exactly... nobody was " anonymously hiding behind a computer " back then. Even Drum Corps was comparatively civil back then compared to fights we'd see at sporting events on an almost routine basis too.. But yes, there were fights in Drum Corps on occasion between rival Drum Corps Corps and fans, and some of them were real donnybrooks too. As mentioned earlier, current DCI and DCP however is about as tame and mild as it comes regarding fan behaviors, in my opinion.. especially with those that are experienced with Drum Corps, BITD as well as with current fan behaviors at college and pro sporting events, both here and abroad that we see all the time. I've personally seen them still kill bulls in Spain in stadiums ( so bloody gruesome, I left early), and where fans are prone to violence there in those stadiums if the Matador on rare ocassions decides ( as his perogative ) to spare the wounded bulls life. And lets not even get started on how Soccer fans behave toward one another and with their teams throughout the world. 22 year old amateur Soccer players have been murdered by fans for not playing up to expectations... in other instances, coaches too. Hundreds of soccer fans over the last 20 years alone have killed one another in disagreements over Soccer too. So I guess its all one's experience and perhaps broader world perspective on these things.

Edited by BRASSO

I think it's odd that you find joy in meanness, cynicism, and disorder.

I went back and read cowtown's post and nowhere in there was any statement like this. Are you just being ironic, since this is a thread about civility? Otherwise, your ramping up the hyperbole is a perfect example of something not to do.

I went back and read cowtown's post and nowhere in there was any statement like this. Are you just being ironic, since this is a thread about civility? Otherwise, your ramping up the hyperbole is a perfect example of something not to do.

agreed.