Why have there been so many negative and hurtful/mean comments made on

Let me be clear.

I am very passionate about the DRUM and BUGLE corps activity.

What DCI has become is nothing more than a summer touring marching band.

I am totally serious (not snarky) when I say that I hope that DCI votes in woodwinds. The sooner the better.

My reasons for supporting woodwinds in DCI are that I Belive it will bring us closer to developing a traditional DRUM And BUGLE division.

That should clear my intentions up the next time I post something !

I think the OP has written about a growing concern in a professional way. Now, I agree with many on this forum that DCP is fairly mild compared to RAMD and news sites or other types of social media.

I enjoy posting to DCP because even if people disagree with me, most will articulate their thoughts intelligently and cordially. Sometimes I'll get called crazy (and maybe I am :satisfied: ) but usually it's all in good fun.

Disagree on two points: a) milder than RAMD? Not buying it. Same sludge, different URL.

b) Usually all in good fun? I take exception with the word usually.

A poster on another thread wrote: "Forgive my condescension..."

Really? Someone on here feels compelled to condescend?

Like RAMD, many of us that end up beating our heads on the desk after NOT being able to respond out of sheer frustration (what's the sense?) are slowly drifting away or limiting our involvement to one or two threads.

No wait - that's what folks are doing... I don't speak for "many of us" - just myself.

Like to see other people wake up to that fact.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 3

I agree with Brian Tolzmann. Using one's actual name, taking personal credit for one's speech, is an effective self-regulator. Then again, I'm sure everyone can create an account here with any false name that appears to be real.

My biggest concern about the direction messages boards can go is this. Some who are interested in becoming a first-time poster can be scared away, thus shrinking down the amount of regulars to just a dozen, or so. Anyone who does make a post has to understand, whatever thoughts they put out will never really be quite right. Within minutes, even the tinyist of points will be described as flawed, if not ridiculed entirely. You can be jumped over a misspelled word! How attractive is that to would-be contributors?

Oh, well. I'm sure there's plenty wrong in this message, too!

I'd LOVE to see everyone required to use their actual name, and I would love to see a profile with complete background in the activity.

Makes you wonder why anyone would want to camoflage any of it. Not proud?

• Like 1

Excellent point, Ray!

Offering data to one's profile page should be a PROUD statement. Maybe even validate a few things, too. However, I can accept that some feel a need to remain secretive, just hope it wasn't necessary.

Comparing this to RAMD? This has no basis in reality. Using your actual name? Really, really, bad idea and a great way to get your ID stolen. Your personal (drum corps) info married to your name is a great way to hand them the info they need to make your life a living hell. On that note net security is a lifestyle not simply a password.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

I agree with Brian Tolzmann. Using one's actual name, taking personal credit for one's speech, is an effective self-regulator. Then again, I'm sure everyone can create an account here with any false name that appears to be real.

My biggest concern about the direction messages boards can go is this. Some who are interested in becoming a first-time poster can be scared away, thus shrinking down the amount of regulars to just a dozen, or so. Anyone who does make a post has to understand, whatever thoughts they put out will never really be quite right. Within minutes, even the tinyist of points will be described as flawed, if not ridiculed entirely. You can be jumped over a misspelled word! How attractive is that to would-be contributors?

Oh, well. I'm sure there's plenty wrong in this message, too!

This is so true. How often have you seen a new posters opinion trashed because they have 10 or less posts, with absolutely NO idea of their level of involvement or expertise related to drum corps.

There's definitely a love-hate relationship with DCP. That's probably not entirely a bad thing as opinions are what usually makes for interesting reading. However, sometimes opinions - so easily stated and indelibly noted on the web - can be baseless, biased, and downright stupid. This medium provides an even playing field for all those who participate. And that can be both problematic and positive for the forums.

It is interesting though that, for the most part, marching members in the activity typically shy away from DCP - or at least say they do - because of the negativity that the OP states. If true, as I suspect it is, then supports this discussion topic - unfortunately.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Disagree on two points: a) milder than RAMD? Not buying it. Same sludge, different URL.

b) Usually all in good fun? I take exception with the word usually.

A poster on another thread wrote: "Forgive my condescension..."

Really? Someone on here feels compelled to condescend?

Like RAMD, many of us that end up beating our heads on the desk after NOT being able to respond out of sheer frustration (what's the sense?) are slowly drifting away or limiting our involvement to one or two threads.

No wait - that's what folks are doing... I don't speak for "many of us" - just myself.

Like to see other people wake up to that fact.

Agree with Ray a good bit. Difference between DCP and RAMD is/was:

1) DCP can ban posters and RAMD could not. On RAMD there were a few that showed signs of being less than stable. Not insulting, had an extended family member who was diagnosed with mental problems and ###### if a lot of what she said matched with a certain RAMD poster (not saying the name). Another seemed to really get nasty on the weekends starting late Friday night, I can guess about that one.

2) Cross thread wars (correct me if wrong term): I left RAMD when posters from other newsgroups started invading RAMD putting up obscene msgs directed at RAMD members. My understanding is a long term RAMD poster started flame wars on other groups and it followed him back to RAMD.

3) DCP can delete threads/posts: Thinking of some insulting threads one RAMD user started designed to crank up the person mentioned in #1 if she had been quiet for a while. Lost all respect for this person and.... <nevermind>

Ignoring the above users (oh yeah, DCP has ignore feature) it was about the same in discussions from the threads I read on both. But difference in a sound bite RAMD negativity stuff was more out in the open, in DCP more under the surface...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I find the OP to be rather negative and insulting which is ironic considering it’s pretending to be a call for nicey-nice. As an active poster here, I feel misunderstood and insulted

I think the board is to heavily moderated and often too nice but my opinion about this board is worthless. I’m not some sort of social engineer trying to tell others how to act.

I think a super duper supportive board of drum corps love would kill this board pretty quickly, puppies and flowers get boring.

You can always post all the nice you want here, no one is stopping you

They are great. I agree. How wonderful. It’s so awesome. Beautiful show. Stunning tambourine solo. I love that violin. I trust the judges more than my eyes, I just wish everyone could tie for first place.

• Like 2