Why does California get Full Panels?

If someone could please change the title to "Why does California get Full Panels?" That would be awesome and make me look like less of an idiot please and thank you.

I started wondering this last night, every single California show in June had a full panel, I think it's kind of ridiculous for the California corps to be getting consistent feedback in every single caption at every show, while everyone everywhere else is lucky to get all their captions judged a couple times by early July.

California:

Clovis - June 20th

Stanford - June 21st

Sacramento - June 22nd

Oceanside - June 27th

Glendora - June 28th

Riverside - June 29th

Everywhere else:

Akron Ohio - June 21st

Madison Wisconsin - June 28th

Here's how often your top corps have been judged in certain captions:

Music Brass:

Blue Devils - 6

The Cadets - 1 (On June 21st)

Carolina Crown - 2

Bluecoats - 1 (On June 21st)

Music Percussion:

Blue Devils - 5

The Cadets - 5

Carolina Crown - 4

Bluecoats - 3

Color Guard:

Blue Devils - 6

The Cadets - 4

Carolina Crown - 3

Bluecoats - 4

Visual Proficiency:

Blue Devils - 5

The Cadets - 2

Carolina Crown - 2

Bluecoats - 2

Call me crazy, but I don't like that. Namely brass and field visual. At all. I'm not discrediting Blue Devils or any of the west coast corps, but that's a lot of early season full reads everyone else is just not getting. I wonder if there's not something to the fact that Carolina Crown 2013, The Cadets 2011, Phantom Regiment 2008, all toured the west coast and won. Maybe it's getting that vital early season feedback that's needed to make big adjustments? I don't know, I still would love to know why it's done like this. Maybe there is a logical explanation I just totally missed. I think it's an interesting topic for discussion.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

Possibly the West Coast show hosts can afford the extra judges or have corps chipped in themselves to get all eight?

I think there are a lot of judges from the west coast too so not as expensive to send them out east

How valuable is early season feedback?

Do the staffs get a lot of info that they don't already know?

I'm wondering if it's really too early to get a full read on show design due to performance quality, and obviously the corps know what they have to fix in terms of member performance level.

I don't have a problem with a smaller panel of judges early in the season, but it should be the same criteria for all shows across the country. For the life of me, I do not understand why there was not a brass judge in Lawrence on Sunday or last night in Bristol. If there had been a brass judge, I'm not certain Crown would have been third. It may have also changed the Spirit/BAC finish (though I would not have been happy with that one). There was a color guard judge last evening in Bristol but not in Lawrence.

If the problem is a shortage of judges, train more judges. I am not sure what the cost is to hire judges. I would imagine the cost of actually judging is not too prohibitive but if the host has to pay transportation and lodging, that could get costly.

• Like 1

For the life of me, I do not understand why there was not a brass judge in Lawrence on Sunday or last night in Bristol.

I would never attend a show if there was no brass line. So yes, every show should have a brass judge. Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3