2014 Color guard('s)

From what I've seen so far:

I still have issue with the amount of time BD's guard spins on place and how they never seems to toss while on the move, or how they can just run to their next set without work - however, having said this, they are by far my favorite guard program this year. What they bring to the program, the "Felliniesque" aspect of their movement and the professionalism, technique and training of each and every member is spectacular.

I thought Crown should have won last year. I felt their equipement, movement and drill was insanely difficult (7 blade tosses on the run) and their performance level was spectacular. This year, I'm not so sure. They're still fantastic, but there's just something missing (for now anyways - and those round orange disk things aren't doing them any favors.

Boston Crusaders have a very, very difficult show with multiple responsibilities. They are still struggling with it, and will need to clean it up if they want to get the credit. Absolutely love how they are portraying the music and what they are attempting to do - it just needs to be stronger.

Vanguard - who in my opinion should have been 2nd in guard last year, has another strong guard this year. It doesn't have the "surprise" factor that last year's guard does (who was expecting them to be that good!!!!) - but they are still a very strong ensemble for the corps and I love the ballad choreography.

Phantom is Phantom is Phantom. Their book is meatier than last year, and they are gorgeous as usual, but they don't have the wow factor yet. Definitely like the black portion of the show better - and they obviously are very well trained as usual - they just need some "special" moments in there. Not sure how much growth the program has without making major changes.

Cavaliers - much stronger program than last year. Great costumes. I'm afraid of the emphasis that is placed on the 8 weapons though. They are clearly front and center for everything, and aren't as strong as previous Cavalier weapon lines, so bobbles and mistakes stick out quickly. Still, I find that their program has alot of room to grow over the season - so I'm excited to see where it will go.

BlueCoats are my surprise of the season. They are strong, they are clean and they clearly help sell the Tilt concept. Still not sure that the opening rifle / movement segment and the "V" poles used in the ballad are the right visual choice - but what do I know as they are scoring extremely well. Orange definitely is the new Blue!

Crossmen has another strong program. They've been putting out some really excellent guards over the last couple of years, and I think this could be one of their stronger ones. Really seem to have a strong handle on their book early season - so that's always great to see.

The Cadets probably have their strongest guard this year since the early 2000's. Still not sure that the blue costume fits all that well with the corps proper though. The opening flag statement at the beginning is gorgeous - their on their way back to being a dominant power in the guard world. I'm excited toi see what the costume changes bring and hoping that they use the stage more - seems like a waste at this point.

Blue Knights - I love what they are doing this year. It's stilll really, really, really dirty, but the potential is there. Not sure that having them in the exact same colors as the corps was a great idea - they kind of get lost sometimes when they're integrated to the horn line in the drill.

Last point- is it just me or does Troopers guard "yellow" seem just a shade off???

Later,

Mike

interesting take on some :smile: I would very much agree with alot of this (not all, but alot )

like judges who disagree.....lol...good assessment

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

After watching last nights show:

Blue Stars have an insanely difficult book once again. The writing is spectacular and the individual demand is high - probably one of the most difficult books in DCI. I'm hoping they can clean it up. Color choices on costuming / flags is just gorgeous

Phantom - I really like the changes. And I now have a favorite part - when the rifles start appearing from the back of the field in black and the guard is divided into half white / half black but with 4 "group" (sabers, rifles, white flags & black flags) the layering and musicality is really well done!

Spirit - just isn't clicking for me. They seem too retro in their style and work and having a mixed rifle line when the girls are in dresses and the boys in pants is just a messy look. I'm not really sure where this guard program can go from here.

Cadets - that saber book (especially at the back end of the show) is ridiculously hard and sooooooo well performed!!!!!

Boston Crusaders - are really starting to clean up a very difficult program. The demand on the guard is constant and the written book very challenging!

Later,

Mike