Bluecoats New Ending?

There is no such thing as being "docked points". The scoring system is based on positive accounting... i.e. they start with a 0 and earn points until they have a score (this is a simplification, but essentially true).

Well, no. But wouldn't being "docked points" for a certain reason be basically the same thing as not receiving them for the same reason? If a parent doesn't give their child dessert because they're misbehaving isn't that the same thing as taking away their dessert because they're misbehaving?

Sort of. It is a recording of the Bluecoats hornline from camp, but then manipulated through electronics to do the pitch bend (Source: Dan Potter's podcast).

Side note: What if they really could do this and waited until DCI Finals to show off? Haha I know this won't happen, but a man can dream, right? Me hoping for that is like hoping for a Demon victory at finals from the Cadets in 2011

I was with the Cadets that whole 2011 Summer. That Demon victory almost happened. It was written and rehearsed, just not put on the field. Fans were just so attached to the angels winning at the end, The staff just left it in.

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

Yeah, no one has ever won gold using synth effects. Ever. Good call.

Blue Devils 2012

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

Cadets 2011, Blue Devils 2012, Carolina Crown 2013, This years top 5. All contenders.

• Like 1

The 2014 Bluecoats have the first show that I actually enjoy added synth effects. The synth and brass pitch blend, at the end of the show, is super awesome! I was a fan the first time I heard it. I'm looking foreword to hearing it live, in La Crosse, tonight!

Well, no. But wouldn't being "docked points" for a certain reason be basically the same thing as not receiving them for the same reason? If a parent doesn't give their child dessert because they're misbehaving isn't that the same thing as taking away their dessert because they're misbehaving?

If parents were scoring their children based on a classified rubric... you would have made a point. However, fallacious decontextualization doesn't help you. A judge could not withhold point values for good brass performance because the colorguard, percussion, or visual aspect of a program had a hiccup. Neither would a score be unjustly withheld because of a permissible (and GE / musical ensemble appropriate) synthesized effect. Now if the brass line was unable to blend with the effect (like blending with the front ensemble)... that would be a different story. Captions are judged (not disciplined) on what the appropriate section does... not on what the don't do, or on what happens elsewhere. And there is plenty of red meat in the horn book in all relevant areas as it stands.

• Like 1

So then, it is or is not probable that 'Coats could have pulled off this "pitch bend" using horns and no synths, at that volume level and as seamlessly as the synths?

Not possible to achieve the effect with valve brass instruments alone. Sliding the pitch by whole steps on valve instruments is possible only by half-valving, which pinches off the sound so that the horn doesn't slot the pitch into normal half-steps. You can't get a full resonant sound while pinching off the sound.

I was blown away by the effect at Akron, but at the same time I have a problem with the use of a speaker system that can effectively double the sound. Where is the line in the sand between augmenting the sound of the corps and doubling or tripling the overall volume level of the corps? The peak volume level should be achieved by muscle power and control of musical instruments, not amplifiers and speakers, otherwise it just becomes another rock concert where all you hear is the speaker system.

• Like 1

Not possible to achieve the effect with valve brass instruments alone. Sliding the pitch by whole steps on valve instruments is possible only by half-valving, which pinches off the sound so that the horn doesn't slot the pitch into normal half-steps. You can't get a full resonant sound while pinching off the sound.

I was blown away by the effect at Akron, but at the same time I have a problem with the use of a speaker system that can effectively double the sound. Where is the line in the sand between augmenting the sound of the corps and doubling or tripling the overall volume level of the corps? The peak volume level should be achieved by muscle power and control of musical instruments, not amplifiers and speakers, otherwise it just becomes another rock concert where all you hear is the speaker system.

Didn't Cavies use this effect with the brass in 08? Granted the bend wasn't much and it was played back field at a relative soft level, but it has been done. Edited by DAvery

"Fallacious decontextualization". Hahaha! Shouldn't use words like this here...heads might explode. Bravo!