Gone are the days......

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this attitude expressed by you might be considered highly elitist in some quarters. For example, I find several of my most favorite and entertaining Corps shows found below, and in a few cases well below the Corps like Cadets. For example, the Oregon Crusders won't make Top 12 this year, but after watching and listening to them yesterday they are far FAR more entertaining, fresh, creative, innovative, progressive than what the Cadets are producing this year, even though the Cadets have the marcher talent, have a well executed and performed production, and are loved by the judging community whose average age is north of 50.

I like both. So there! :)

George - from my vantage point, this has nothing to do with "not getting the credit they deserve" as much as it does the too many names on DCI's judging roster who are....... dare I say it.... wait for it.... wait for it.... AFRAID of letting certain units "fall below" a certain score or placement. But the Right Honorable Cesario himself during a March 2014 interview regarding the new GE sheets / judging that the judges would now be able to evaluate more like an audience member. If that's the case, THEN DO IT!!!

Furthermore.... if judges are supposedly "trained" in their craft, then the "content" subcaptions should be treated similar to the old "demand" captions, which isn't happening.

Let's face it - also gone are the days when any given unit could win brass or percussion at any given show (or place in the top 3), and not win overall. No - I'm NOT saying go back to the tic system, but I dare anyone on today's rosters to tell me that they would have no problem scoring a top 3 corps in 4th place or lower in any given caption if the performance merited it!

Spending 5 minutes on fromthepressbox...

Crown won last year and was 6th in percussion.

In 2012 the 2nd and 3rf place corps were 6th and 7th in percussion, while the 2nd place percussion corps was 6th overall.

Overall Cavies went from 3rd in 2011 to 8th in 2012.

Regiment won in 08 and were 9th in 09.

Cadets 1st in 05 to 5th in 06

Blue Knights 6th in 2000 to 14th in 2001.

Coats 3rd in 2010 to 7th in 2011

• Like 4

I like both. So there! :)

... and thats cool too George. DCP would be a yawnfest if we all agreed here on everything.. haha !

Spending 5 minutes on fromthepressbox...

Crown won last year and was 6th in percussion.

In 2012 the 2nd and 3rf place corps were 6th and 7th in percussion, while the 2nd place percussion corps was 6th overall.

Overall Cavies went from 3rd in 2011 to 8th in 2012.

Regiment won in 08 and were 9th in 09.

Cadets 1st in 05 to 5th in 06

Blue Knights 6th in 2000 to 14th in 2001.

Coats 3rd in 2010 to 7th in 2011

Your examples don't prove the point. The point is it is NOT happening consistently anymore. Since you mentioned names..... yes, Crown's drum line deserved to be 6th. But what about at semi-finals when they "magically" scored above a 19 for the first time ever in the season, and their battery was nowhere near justifying that score??

We can throw numbers around all day, but as I entitled the thread... gone are the days when on any given day or night - no matter the quality of the performance.... there are green shirts on the roster that are afraid to do the right thing.

We can throw numbers around all day, but as I entitled the thread... gone are the days when on any given day or night - no matter the quality of the performance.... there are green shirts on the roster that are afraid to do the right thing.

OK, you're the judge. Rank the top 12 corps right now as to where you think they should be. Feel free to put in some caption rankings as well.

Your examples don't prove the point. The point is it is NOT happening consistently anymore. Since you mentioned names..... yes, Crown's drum line deserved to be 6th. But what about at semi-finals when they "magically" scored above a 19 for the first time ever in the season, and their battery was nowhere near justifying that score??

Translate: the judges aren't doing what I think they should, so its political.

It can't possibly be that some corps draw different talent and have stronger staffs than others.

• Like 1

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but this attitude expressed by you might be considered highly elitist in some quarters. For example, I find several of my most favorite and entertaining Corps shows found below, and in a few cases well below the Corps like Cadets. For example, the Oregon Crusders won't make Top 12 this year, but after watching and listening to them yesterday they are far FAR more entertaining, fresh, creative, innovative, progressive than what the Cadets are producing this year, even though the Cadets have the marcher talent, have a well executed and performed production, and are loved by the judging community whose average age is north of 50.

Don't mis-read me on this. My focus on 'top corps' does not mean that I don't also enjoy Oregon Crusaders et al. That said, a cutting edge concept and design does not overcome the need for top shelf precision across the board, in marching and playing, to rise to the top 6 in DCI. For example, I don't care how many decibels the BLOO synth chords can bend, if they can't execute in tune and with minimal visual dirt. Michael Cesario in his DCI podcast parsed between spectators and fans in looking at the changes to the GE sheets this year.

Translate: the judges aren't doing what I think they should, so its political.

It can't possibly be that some corps draw different talent and have stronger staffs than others.

actucker.... your statements prove my point more than you realize!!

actucker.... your statements prove my point more than you realize!!

Your point was that the upper tier of corps are comprised largely of members who've marched before, staffs that have the most longevity in the activity, and design staffs that have been working together for years? Great. That was my point too. No wonder there isn't a ton of movement in placement from show to show.

• Like 1