DCI Denton

I think global warming is melting everyone's brain..... Who cares if someone believes in it or not. He provided great weather detail for the show sites and is not threatening anyone.... Stop the bickering over something so silly! It's a drum corps site and drum corps is the discussion not global warming effects on instrumental development

If I may say one thing: there are people who don't find this topic silly - at all. It doesn't belong here. Period.

Here's the thing about the whole "Global Warming" ideas.... Al Gore said the polar ice caps would be completely melted by 2013 ... this year there is more ice on the ice caps that ever before on record. Look at the data, hard to challenge that fact.

I'm pretty sure Al Gore didn't actually say that. In his Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in Dec. 2007, which appears to be the usual source for the "2013" claim, he cited a couple different studies. One suggested that the Arctic might be ice free in 22 years (i.e., 2029) while another, from the U.S. Navy, suggested it might happen in as little as 7 years (i.e., 2014). These would be September figures, of course, when the ice coverage each year is least. And while 2013 indeed had notably more ice in the Arctic than 2012 (which so far as our records show is the year with the least ice coverage), it was actually still below the average for the 2000s, which is below the average for the 1990s, which is below the average for the 1980s. Per NOAA: "All seven lowest sea ice extents on record have occurred in the past seven years."

In any case, as you said, it makes no difference to today's dire show forecasts. (I mean, it might be making a difference, but as you say, it passes current human understanding even aided by supercomputers to connect larger climate trends with specific weather events.) And I think I can shove the thread nearly back on topic by noting that several corps have done shows about the seasons; off the top of my head I remember Blue Knights' "Shiver: A Winter in Colorado", and this very year Cascades "Turn" has a seasonal theme. Maybe corps could do shows about climate change: have Madison do a global warming show and Boston do a global cooling show, using the music from Waterworld and Ice Age, respectively. Or wait, maybe next year Cadets could do a show about Vice Presidents!

• Like 3

In any case, as you said, it makes no difference to today's dire show forecasts. (I mean, it might be making a difference, but as you say, it passes current human understanding even aided by supercomputers to connect larger climate trends with specific weather events.) And I think I can shove the thread nearly back on topic by noting that several corps have done shows about the seasons; off the top of my head I remember Blue Knights' "Shiver: A Winter in Colorado", and this very year Cascades "Turn" has a seasonal theme. Maybe corps could do shows about climate change: have Madison do a global warming show and Boston do a global cooling show, using the music from Waterworld and Ice Age, respectively. Or wait, maybe next year Cadets could do a show about Vice Presidents!

A show on vice presidents? Man, I would lay down some long green to see that! Blue Knights could do a show called "That One Second-in-Command." It could feature the disembodied ruminations of Spiro Agnew, Dick Cheney and of course, Schuyler Colfax.

• Like 2

A show on vice presidents? Man, I would lay down some long green to see that! Blue Knights could do a show called "That One Second-in-Command." It could feature the disembodied ruminations of Spiro Agnew, Dick Cheney and of course, Schuyler Colfax.

Can't leave out Aaron Burr! Does anyone else remember that early Got Milk commercial?

Edit: I did not know what Wikipedia reports: the commercial was directed by Michael Bay.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

GW is "slightly political"? our lady of massive understatements, pray for us!

Lol. Sorry, I consider the whole climate change thing more of an environmentalism sort of thing rather than a topic for argument among the old farts sitting in a circle in DC. Unfortunate that it has become increasingly a political issue (though I still think this is not nearly as polarizing of a topic compared to others).

If I may say one thing: there are people who don't find this topic silly - at all. It doesn't belong here. Period.

I don't find it silly at all... I find the notion of us dominating a show thread about Denton to be silly.... Us arguing over it on this board is silly, which is also what you're saying. It has a place and is a legit discussion but not for DCP