Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

"And then the sound when bheeewwwwaaaaahhhhhh and everything leaned and it was cool and yeah"

-A member of my HS marching band at camp

Does this count as a reaction?

• Like 3

It is the musical equivalent of a really hot woman who you KNOW has fake boobs. I HATE the fact that they are artificial/fake but that doesn't stop me from thinking she is a hottie.

Drum and bugle corps died A LONG time ago-- for those that never heard a really good horn line on G bugles I can see why they would find it entertaining. Yep--I've turned into a grumpy old man as far as this activity is concerned.

CM

I've heard plenty of G bugle horn lines live, had my face ripped off enough to need skin grafting, and I find Bluecoats show to be as entertaining as anything I've ever seen in drum corps.

• Like 7

I've heard plenty of G bugle horn lines live, had my face ripped off enough to need skin grafting, and I find Bluecoats show to be as entertaining as anything I've ever seen in drum corps.

I agree. Maybe the poster only thinks young people like the pitch bend. I'm old enough to have also had my face demolished by G bugle lines, and I love the Bluecoats show. I view it as an innovative use of what they have available to them.

• Like 3

I love Bluecoats show this year and the ending is up there with the other top endings over time. BUT, I have a fear that the copycats in marching band and drum corps may be out in force, trying to replicate the effect and I really don't want to see (hear) tons of electronics and pitchbending in everyone's shows. The uniqueness of it is part of what makes it great. It could get old real fast if some mediocre marching bands or low tier drum corps tried something like this.

Bands have been copying corps, with varying success, for quite a while now. I saw a band doing a poorly executed VK wannabe show back in the 80's - the shark fin, the tennis rackets, all that stuff. Particularly ill-conceived was their take on the "sex cymbals" concept: three miscellaneously shaped girls and a skinny fourteen-ish looking little boy in ill-fitting hot pants tuxedo outfits. The boy, mercifully, wore a pair of long trousers. Suffice to say that it didn't generate the impact that VK's section was able to achieve. What was the director thinking?

regards,

Fred O.

P.S. by way of staying on topic, Bluecoats 2014 = great concept, well executed. The ending had folks on their feet (myself included) in a big way at the TOC show in NJ earlier this week. Good corps!

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

The July 2nd DCI Field Pass (the DCI podcast ) has an interview with the Bluecoats Program Cordinator. He explains some of the key aspects of the show, and includes a detailed explanation of the pitch bend effect. It's the Coats hornline (recorded) that "is" the sound you are hearing on the bend.

Regardless of your take on electronics, it is a great effect in a fantastic show. They carry the theme throughout , with some clever and novel parts to the show. I was on my feet at the West Chester show, that's for sure. One of the best performances on the field in decades.

The members of the Bluecoats and the other top corps are performing at ridiculously high levels. The entertainment value is strong (after many years of complaints about inaccessible shows) and it's great to see DCI corps fielding this level of excellence year in and year out. I'm not a huge fan of all the changes (the bass "goo" bring my least favorite), but I think most would agree that the top 8 have phenomenal performances , the the next 7-9 are pretty entertaining as well.

"And then the sound when bheeewwwwaaaaahhhhhh and everything leaned and it was cool and yeah"

-A member of my HS marching band at camp

Does this count as a reaction?

Percussionist??? Sounds like one...

It is the musical equivalent of a really hot woman who you KNOW has fake boobs. I HATE the fact that they are artificial/fake but that doesn't stop me from thinking she is a hottie.

Drum and bugle corps died A LONG time ago-- for those that never heard a really good horn line on G bugles I can see why they would find it entertaining. Yep--I've turned into a grumpy old man as far as this activity is concerned.

CM

You really think that?

I saw my first show in 1964, yet that ending by the 'Coats is one of my all-time favorite endings ever.

• Like 3

Percussionist??? Sounds like one...

Flute, actually.

The Pitch Bend is cool but, It's just a sound effect!