What do you think the champions of yesteryear would score today?

What's up with them performing three times at regionals? You would think people would get bored of their show after viewing it three times in one day.

Probably, but keep in mind that you're talking about some people that sit and watch a Corps at practice do a drill move 6 times in a row, without music. Some others will watch Corps show in performance 3 times in one day on Fan Network, without "getting bored", you know what I'm sayin' ?

Its very unfair that INT is there 3 times at Regionals. On the other hand, each INT seems different, as with more experience opportunities, more is appreciated by the public, and thats a relief, imo

I do know the criteria of back then , Thats why I put myself also out there and even based on the criteria of each time to corps of the time it was an eye opener BUT with that said VIDEOS also show way more than what is seen at a show, even by the experts. It's easy to nit pic something when you can go back over and over and study. Its 1 reason I almost never go back BUT it also could be why people who weren't part of it BITD only look at a video and only see one thing. I suspect the same will be in the future with members then to corps now.

I think there was also more bitd then we realize like as you say with sheets today and having to do something..How many corps did company fronts, how many guards did 50 yard line visuals, I think there were things like that BITD also, the sheets may not have been very explicit about it BUT things were expected.

Many today only look at what some call a scatter drill and only think it was because a designer didnt know how to get from 1 point to another. I will admit I HAVE seen some not so great designers do this BUT If anyone had to choreograph a move like this it is a nightmare and very difficult. I know it doesn;t look it but it is. For me I dont like movement just to do it BUT when the layering of multi responsibilities works it's fantastic. But like all of the activity JMO...lol

Good post!

I agree that they were unwritten compulsories during all times; some are/were better than others in my opinion. You're also correct, the videos only give us one view of these corps, fortunately, we have every year but the current year to compare and scrutinize to death. My thing is that it's hard for me to look at a show this year through another year's lens and compare them because the emphasis is so different.

So when someone says x is better than y, I say not so fast. x cared about doing this, y doesn't. Then we get into things like could the members from Star '91 pull of Crown '13? Stuff like that.

It's just difficult to compare for me. I believe that other people too easily dismiss some things from the past ( not just in corps), and that is a dangerous thing to do.

• Like 1

Yes - I've NEVER heard in three decades what would be considered a difficult brass book from Cavies. They've always been all about the visual. And if they play anything more than whole or half notes, they're invariably standing still.

However, I'd bet my house against Star '91 winning today. Let's not glorify the past. The demand and skill level and show complexity today is greater. There's just more going on.

Some of that complexity is superfluous and doesn't really need to be in there because it doesn't really add to the show and sometimes detracts. So is complexity for the sake of complexity better than something that makes more sense?

Some people would argue that complexity makes it easier to judge based on a set of criteria. But does that potential design clutter make it a better show? Looks like the sheets of today say yes. But I just wanted to throw that out there for thought.

Well, do we have to make the assumption( for just one example of many ) that we utilize today's judging sheets ?

There is no reason you should feel constrained against opening your own topic to ask the opposite question the OP posited. This was, AFAIK, just a fun question posted by the OP.

Good post!

I agree that they were unwritten compulsories during all times; some are/were better than others in my opinion. You're also correct, the videos only give us one view of these corps, fortunately, we have every year but the current year to compare and scrutinize to death. My thing is that it's hard for me to look at a show this year through another year's lens and compare them because the emphasis is so different.

So when someone says x is better than y, I say not so fast. x cared about doing this, y doesn't. Then we get into things like could the members from Star '91 pull of Crown '13? Stuff like that.

It's just difficult to compare for me. I believe that other people too easily dismiss some things from the past ( not just in corps), and that is a dangerous thing to do.

100 % agree

There is no reason you should feel constrained against opening your own topic to ask the opposite question the OP posited. This was, AFAIK, just a fun question posted by the OP.

I have no idea what is behind the motivation to start a thread topic and ask us a question, so I'll accept readily your belief that it was posed " just as a fun question ". I had fun today responding to his" fun question", and didn't allow the naysayors to get us distracted too much when we got derailed regarding timelines, the Cavaliers history, the discussion on waffles, and so forth. A few might have gotten annoyed or frustrated, but we can't let that detract us from what was generally a good and civil discussion on how Crown marchers and staff might be responding these days to their current placement expectation disappointments. I'm not so sure that qualifies as a " fun question ", but if you thinks so, I see no evidence to determine that it couldn't be viewed as such, so I can't quibble on THAT, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Dude I took your advice. Rewatched it and you are right. It is stunning.

How well the show is designed, how well the hornline moves and/or plays :D, how integrated and seamless the effect points transition throughout the storyboard and the sections of the corps, from brass to guard to drums to playing to marching to drill to coreogeaphy etc...

Such a beautiful show performed so well. Thanks for the suggestion.

1PEWRHc.png

• Like 1

To be fair, none of the corps today would have been competitive in the 1990s either. Today's corps would receive penalties galore for illegal instrumentation, electronics, too many members, and amplification. I think there was an age limit adjustment at some point too, so today's corps would have probably been marching over age members if in the earlier 1990s.

Unfortunately, the rules and parameters of DCI have changed so much over the last 15 years plus that you can't compare corps from different eras. It's easy to say that a corps from one year is better than corps that came before, but it's not a fair comparison if there have been rules changes in the interim. Cuts both ways.