Nashville lineup

Well, how on earth did we ever get by without narration? What were the 70 years of drum corps history before narration - chopped liver?

Does this mean we don't add it now? Is the prevailing notion always going to be less is more? That all corps should only tell the story with just drill, brass, and drums? Please, what once was does not have to be a recipe for "shall always be." Things change. I respect your opinion and right to like what you want.

Nobody hates narration more than I do when it's not needed, and nobody loves it more than I do when it's done tastefully and in context. Crown does it well, Cadets do it well (at least this year). I don't take the generic stance that "if you have to tell me what's going on then your show wasn't constructed well" because that's a little too mind numbing and shows a lack of education in the arts. All kinds of things get narrated, from award winning movies and documentaries, to symphonic pieces of music, picture art, dance, and much more.

Part of me thinks people hate being lectured to, and narration in any form seems to evoke that feeling in a lot of people. I don't know, just guessing.

can anyone make up 2 or more points in 2 weeks? maybe not.

In this climate... yes.

With Crown winning brass and SCV or Bloo winning perc... if enough separate corps take captions then BD has only their spread in GE to rely on.

It will be closer in the end. Just not sure who will be there with them.

I would not assume too much from last night's scores and spreads. It was a TOC show. Atlanta will be a better indication.

• Like 2

I wasn't that impressed with cadets visual. musically I'm not so sure as I had to tap dance around the mute button every time that guy was narrating. Puke me a river!

:thumbup::worthy:

• Like 1

Just watched the Bluecoats show on FN this morning (couldn't watch the live event last night). WOW!!! They are beginning to fire on all cylinders and the new ending is fabulous. Keeps the crowd "juiced" to the end instead of the down ending. Percussion and brass are just FANTASTIC! Love the inclusion of guard into this show.

Thought Carolina Crown looked excellent and they sounded AMAZING!!! What a brass line! I still love that closer so much. The music is so wonderful. I also noticed (high cam) how the end of the ballad is like a constellation of stars that appear from the giant S form, and then it dissolves back into the S form that spreads the field. It's a neat effect. I love their added narration/voice overs.

Cadets looked sharp to me going on so early, and their brass and drums also sound AMAZING! Guard is stunning. And their drill is amazingly difficult and so well written. If people think this is easy drill, time to take a closer look. Also, to this point this show, to me anyway, has been stately and regal--and I love that. It will not be everyone's cup of tea, and a patriotic show like this isn't going to make people jump up and down. It's just a wonderful, eloquent way of presenting Presidential quotes in historical context in a manner that celebrates our political process for freedom. They need to be careful that they don't cheese it up. Just a few wrong elements can derail such a good show and drum corps.

The Cavaliers were very fan friendly, MAN!! That vampire/immortal show of theirs is really popular with the masses, and you could see and hear that on the FN video. Love their drill. Some of the best drill they've had since MG left. Percussion is stunning as well. The point spread between them and Crown is likely over brass, visual dirt in the feet, and who knows. I think they will close the gap some, but no way they pass Crown (or SCV). Still, this is one of my FAV Cavaliers shows since the Billy Joel show.

Time to watch Boston, SCV, and BD.

Cfirwin, I guess BD should just pack it up? Kinda sad to hear they're out of the running for percussion and possibly brass. :cry:

Sure, the scores will naturally narrow as corps start bumping up against the limits of the system. I wouldn't count anyone out in either of the music captions just yet. BD has been running a very consistent first or second in both, so they're certainly in the running. More than any year in recent memory, percussion is truly a crapshoot. In addition to SCV and Coats, it's clear that BD, Cadets and Cavies are all groups that will have something to say. In brass, Crown is once again fantastic, but BD and Cadets are formidable competitors. Remember, Cadets have already beaten Crown in that caption as well.

BD might end up winning it still, with GE *and Visual* leading the way. No matter what, it will be quite interesting down the stretch. Someone needs to separate themselves from the "chase pack" to truly challenge, but that will require rising in all captions. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Vanguard for second. Second best program out there, edging out Coats by a nose. I was very glad to see Coats fix the ending of the show...was wondering how long they were going to keep making the crowd sit down after getting them off their feet and cheering! Bravo!

I'm going to go on record and nominate this stadium for future DCI Finals (if they EVER leave Indy). Great acoustics & sight lines that were reminiscent to outdoor finals of the past (most notably Bloomington). Holy smokes that was a fun show to watch & listen to!

• Like 1

Your statement is offensive. My dad Jerry Ferreira was a drum corps judge (PCJA) here in CA for years in the 70 early 80's. His contemporaries were Dan Smith, Greg Webber, Gary Gilroy, Shirley Whitcomb etc.... and many more. To suggest that these judges or current judges (who do this job because they love the activity as they are not paid a ton of money) make decisions on scores/placements because of a friendship or history with a staff member of the Blue Devils or any other corps shows your total and utter ignorance. Brasso, you make some funny comments, but this one is disgusting!

Let's see if I'm wrong, but I thought Brasso meant something along the lines of "they know the judges so well, they know what the judges will like; not a conspiracy as you've made it out to be." Just saying.

The summer bands were just miles away from me and I did not spend one penny. Such a shame.

The summer bands were just miles away from me and I did not spend one penny. Such a shame.

Cool story bro

• Like 1