SCV not in 1st? why?!@?!?!

So am I. I've clearly been doing it all wrong. :D

this isn't how this works, this isn't how ANY of this works

Did he really just say marching band?? :grrr::wall:

To be clear I should have said: Summer, Honor ,Marching Tour Bands International. Sorry for any confusion

Edited by The Other Mike

I didn't say vanguard had the best guard, just the cleanest. BD is winning because they have the widest range in their content and are also clean

I'd wager that SCV would be scoring higher in achievement if they truly were cleaner than BD. I'm not a guard guy, just going off of scores.

Edited by Cappybara

1. Cadets have some pretty big content issues, both musically and visually (mostly, IMO, musically). I think they have the type of design that you either love and accept its faults, or you dislike and the faults become amplified. They perform well, but their problems seem to be design. That being said, their performance keeps them in 2nd; I personally really like their show, more so than I thought I would. It's come a long way over the course of the season, and I can't wait to see it Finals week!!

2. Obviously the Bluecoats comment is argumentative, and I would say Cadets 2011 and Crown last year also pulled the audience in like crazy (especially Crown last year). Bluecoats are having some substantial visual issues (relative to 1st place) from a performance standpoint, and also haven't gotten their brass up to the caliber of BD, Crown, and Cadets. Again, they're a great corps, but so are Cadets and BD.

It's always amusing when people seemingly forget that shows are generally not ranked based on the overall show: they are broken down by several captions, with each judge having a narrow scope on which to rank/rate. As a percussion guy, I could watch SCV all day and love their percussion section and maybe overlook some of their design or visual performance problems: just like the percussion judge doesn't care what is going on visually with the corps. The vis. judges could care less how a corps sounds or plays and is only looking at how the corps moves in relation to criteria on the sheet. I've talked to judges who had a corps up and they've told me stuff to the effect of, "I personally don't like that show, but it is maxing out the sheets and I have to give it up for that." Or even stuff like, "I love that show, but they're not performing as well as this other group so I can't give em credit." People look at scores in relationship to how much they personally enjoyed or appreciated the show, but that's not how judging criteria & ranking/rating work

You nailed it. We fans watch the overall show and love or hate them and or indifferent. Judges look at their slice and really dissect it. All those critical eyes super analysing each show. That's where the scores come from not how many people like your sound bend or narrator or trampolines.

ehh... I personally think the pillows getting moved around the whole show are a complete waste of time/effort/effect

That's why I said "well...." in my sarcastic voice. In addition to the myriad of palaces and phalluses, but I didn't think I had to spell it out for anyone.

Why not in first? The answer is so obvious, I'm almost embarrassed to say it:

Slotting.

Duh

Slotting.

Duh

There you go with that dirty 8-letter word again. Honestly...

Slotting.

Duh

Finally, a voice of reason

Finally, a voice of reason

Sometimes I wonder where people get their logic from...

• Like 1