SCV not in 1st? why?!@?!?!

If you're going for a humorous persona, you might want to take an approach more similar to a user named "skevinp."

You'll get more laughs :smile:

I'm looking for pitty

• Like 1

OK, I'll bite

With the exception of the percussion section, right now the corps is not as clean as the corps above them (both brass & visual), and just doesn't generate the depth of effect as the corps above them. That could change in the next few weeks as they clean up and continue tweaking the show, but right now 5th is right around where they should be, IMO (and judges' opinion too apparently).

Not true. Their guard is probably the cleanest guard out of the top 5

Not true. Their guard is probably the cleanest guard out of the top 5

Yup, that's why BD is dominating the guard caption.

Yup, that's why BD is dominating the guard caption.

I didn't say vanguard had the best guard, just the cleanest. BD is winning because they have the widest range in their content and are also clean

• Like 1

I didn't say vanguard had the best guard, just the cleanest. BD is winning because they have the widest range in their content and are also clean

Every time I watch BD, it's as if their guard is a group of actors doing guard work. For others, it's as if they are guard members doing a show. It's incredible how absorbed BD's guard is when doing their show.

• Like 4

Lighten up Francis your Capt. Obvious uniform is on a little too tight :poke: It's just marching band

THIS is why we can't have light-hearted conversations anymore.

Did he really just say marching band?? :grrr::wall:

ehh... I personally think the pillows getting moved around the whole show are a complete waste of time/effort/effect

You know, I'm extremely disappointed to learn that those pillows are made of styrofoam and are not comfy. Of all the places to rest one's head, styrofoam is not at the top of the list.

That being said, it's actually a pretty neat effect. It must be very strong styrofoam to be able to stand on them.

I bet at the end of the season, they are broken up and used to pack/transport the trombones to whom ever they borrowed them from.

But to be fair, I literally don't know of any visual person who knows what they're talking about who wouldn't say BD is consistently one of the best corps visually. They march better than anyone, and if one or two obvious forms are a little dirty (and rotating circles = pretty difficult to clean), it doesn't detract from the rest of their amazing visual production. Even when Cavaliers were at their visual peak during their dynasty years, it was no Vis cakewalk against the Blue Devils. During the 2000-2002, 2004, 2006 Championship Cavalier productions, the Vis breakdown was:

* 2000 - won overall Vis. (won 2/3 captions with BD winning the other)

* 2001 - TIED overall Vis. with BD (won 2/3 captions with BD winning the other)

* 2002 - won all Vis. captions

* 2004 - BD won Vis (Cavaliers won 1 of the Vis. captions)

* 2006 - won overall Vis (won 2/3 w/BD winning the other)

Blue Devils are outstanding visually, and really have been since their overhaul in 1994. To try to explain it away with influx of WGI judges, or whatnot detracts from their awesome visual performance. You can argue design (which I'm not), but they perform the snot out of their visual book consistently

They're so good visually because of the reasons I stated, which what you said doesn't change the validity of what I said. The WGI judge influx tend to go for Blue Devils style too. Your example of numbers above in the visual captions kinda support that too.

One way to get closer to winning DCI is to march a style closer to BD and less like the Cavaliers, because BD style is easier to clean individually and uniformly, thus getting better scores based on what the judges ( especially WGI judges) reward points for (Judges also like their style of drill and staging over high velocity shows). Not trying to explain away anything, just stating what has happened, and you hit the year I was thinking of on the head! It is blatantly obvious :silly:

Edited by jjeffeory

Two reasons immediately come to mind. The brass generally plays as badly as Crown's percussion line this year. Second, they simply are not as clean as BD and Cadets in GE or Visual. Having said this, SCV's percussion is purring like happy kittens and play like Crown's brass.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi