One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

Boston scored 87.95 in Massillon then jumped to 89.125 at Prelims which was a 1.175 improvement. Unfortunately their scores went backwards from there. I would have loved to see them progressed in terms of scoring leading up to finals. Not sure why scores diminished. Looking forward to 2015 season.

As more corps start to compete together the dynamics change, as well as scores can, up or down.

I heard in the beginning OH the guard is doing 7s and 8s, yeah , so what, so is everyone else including some OC corps. Judges would rather see a great 5 or 6 than a crappy 7 or 8.

I'm not sure what you mean here Boston and BD were the only guards tossing 7/8's, (and they were pretty darn clean tosses at that) and as a group which is far more impressive then a solo guard tossing a 7/8, and Boston by far had the most demanding and cleanest rifle line this year.

It was quite well received in both Pittsburgh and Massillon, with signficant applause both during the show and at the end. To be sure, other corps garnered more applause at both locations.

I was at the show at gateway, I thought the two ladies behind me were gonna start throwing babies when conquest was being played, and i gotta say the best part was when they did the human windmill and the audience gasped and fell completely silent, so controversial....LOVED IT!

I was at the show at gateway, I thought the two ladies behind me were gonna start throwing babies when conquest was being played, and i gotta say the best part was when they did the human windmill and the audience gasped and fell completely silent, so controversial....LOVED IT!

Which only goes to serve as an example for one simple message: controversial doesn't always mean "wrong." Sometimes, it only serves as an example of what, across sociological and philosophical lines, is regarded as being "different." Too many times we take a "controversial" move or message and turn it into a right vs. wrong issue -- when all we are actually seeing is something which is new, "innovative," or simply unexpected. One person's "throwing babies" will undoubtedly be another person's "throwing horses***." I dearly wish that reality didn't operate that way -- but sadly, it does.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what you mean here Boston and BD were the only guards tossing 7/8's, (and they were pretty darn clean tosses at that) and as a group which is far more impressive then a solo guard tossing a 7/8, and Boston by far had the most demanding and cleanest rifle line this year.

not true, most guards are tossing that high.Even DCA corps are banging out 7s. Besides, higher or harder, doesnt mean better by no means. Its a mistake many make. It's not how it works.

It doesn't take anything away from anyone or give anyone an advantage, just some facts.

7s and 8s are not the reason BD wins guard either.

I saw in another post you were auditioning for Coats. Good Luck with that and remember tossing is a part of it BUT only a small part.

Good Luck, who knows maybe I will see ya ...lol...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by GUARDLING

Which only goes to serve as an example for one simple message: controversial doesn't always mean "wrong." Sometimes, it only serves as an example of what, across sociological and philosophical lines, is regarded as being "different." Too many times we take a "controversial" move or message and turn it into a right vs. wrong issue -- when all we are actually seeing is something which is new, "innovative," or simply unexpected. One person's "throwing babies" will undoubtedly be another person's "throwing horses***." I dearly wish that reality didn't operate that way -- but sadly, it does.

controversy isn't a bad thing at all ( keep them talkin ) Im not quite sure why in this case.

Edited by GUARDLING

not true, most guards are tossing that high.Even DCA corps are banging out 7s. Besides, higher or harder, doesnt mean better by no means. Its a mistake many make. It's not how it works.

It doesn't take anything away from anyone or give anyone an advantage, just some facts.

7s and 8s are not the reason BD wins guard either.

I saw in another post you were auditioning for Coats. Good Luck with that and remember tossing is a part of it BUT only a small part.

Good Luck, who knows maybe I will see ya ...lol...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

play difficult music cleanly = win brass

play difficult beats cleanly = win perc

spin/dance difficult book cleanly = win guard....NOT

DCI really does need to make that caption JUST about the performers.

there are already GE and ENS judges on judging panels. please make the guard caption about the WGI downstairs captions.

FIX THE SHEETS

</end rant>

• Like 1

play difficult music cleanly = win brass

play difficult beats cleanly = win perc

spin/dance difficult book cleanly = win guard....NOT

DCI really does need to make that caption JUST about the performers.

there are already GE and ENS judges on judging panels. please make the guard caption about the WGI downstairs captions.

FIX THE SHEETS

</end rant>

I'm not so sure about that. Why do people think harder is better? Better is better. The way it works is 1st it isnt all about throwing something higher than the next. Who cares, after the 1st 100 tosses how effective are they really? They aren't. It is more about throwing something better, It is about the performers BUT also about many many other things and guard has become MUCH MUCH more than spinning and tossing.

Those things you mentioned about the other captions, there's no difference there either, Do something hard crappy, how much credit is deserved, do something more in line with an individual corps talent and do it well , credit deserved. This also doesn't mean not challenge. A good judge knows very well when a corps is playing it safe.

You are right though....do it cleanly...that is the key and the debate I suppose. For sure BD deserved the guard trophy but not because they toss high, at least its just a part of it BUT they had to do it well, and did. In most cases I do think the guard judges ( not all ) got it right

The design part the how and why MUST also stay a part of the equation. Imagine a guard just going out there throwing crap all over with no rhyme or reason , nothing to do with the program. When done well, no matter what it is, it is rewarded, just like the other captions.

Now if one wants to debate if a guard was cleaner than the next well that's ok, again same as other captions.

Edited by GUARDLING

controversy isn't a bad thing at all ( keep them talkin ) Im not quite sure why in this case.

I fully agree, Guard. Controversy, and discussing controversy, takes thinking. And progress can only happen while utilizing one's brainpan. Therefore, it could be said that in many ways, it is through controversy that progress can be accomplished. Not the sole reason or way, most certainly. But it does play a role.

• Like 1

I fully agree, Guard. Controversy, and discussing controversy, takes thinking. And progress can only happen while utilizing one's brainpan. Therefore, it could be said that in many ways, it is through controversy that progress can be accomplished. Not the sole reason or way, most certainly. But it does play a role.

Agree