One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

well as an outsider without an agenda I felt Boston was the dirtiest corps in the Top 12 - and I don't think it was very close

feet were a mess - most of which I blame on some god-awful drill and horrific decision making in terms of staging the show

but I guess everyone has their own viewpoint...

I also felt the G7, the baby powder and the rest of it was pretty sophomoric (to be kind)

it was like an unoriginal, unattainable version of a BOA Tarpon Springs show combined with Suncoast Sound's Dances for the Contemporary Child

Aside from the Finals week additions, I loved the show. I didn't think the drill was awful. I thought it was very cool in some parts. It was obvious from the get-go that it was hard - I think they had one of the hardest drills of the year. The guard work was also off the charts.

It was one of those shows that is so good from the beginning it didn't need what was added at the end.

Edit: I wish they hadn't changed the block formation that moved to the lower front corner. The first time I saw that I kept thinking that it was such a basic formation that was so completely effective. I knew it wasn't going to be easy to clean right away, but it was so cool.

Edited by Lincoln

Agreed.

And by the way, has it occurred to anyone that the brief voice-over at the end of the show was also satirical? Just like the closer flags, the baby powder, the upside down trombone notes, the knock-kneed visual, etc.

And GUARDLING, you say you taught BAC for two years. Good.

I taught (drill) for BAC for 7 years and have been writing for and teaching high school bands for more than 30. I also have judged. Boston was NOT as dirty as some folks here claim, despite the narrative that keeps being repeated. You are welcome to your opinion, but it is disingeuous to suggest that BAC was a dirty mess by the end of the season. They were not.

I am encouraged by the fact that as people begin buying the dvds of 2014 and start watching them over the winter the will be a new appreciation for this show.

yeah they actually were, besides dirty everything was forced,sets continually felt like they were never being finished before moving on to the next thing , which i know was said to them right from the beginning .Did they improve a ton from the beginning of the year. YES for sure, enough to be in that top 5 , 6 or 7 not even close. I personally was impressed that they did clean what they did at the end but it is competition and it is compared to others also. To lay it all at the feet of the MMs is not where IMO the issue was. STAFF, never recognized the limits to makes these kids successful. EGO, was certainly in the way here. I will usually NEVER speak out like this for a number of reasons BUT another poster did ask for reasons and I watched all summer as I saw posts from people like Boston'should be this or that or that it was the hardest thing ever. Really?

As for teaching YES I was on staff for 2 years, so I do have a good idea about the wonderful foundation of the BC's but 2 years is hardly my experience either, being you pointed yours out. I have had and continue to have ( even at my age..lol ) a few DCI medals, over 35 WGI finalist and several medals in every class, a couple of percussion finalist and a gold medal 4 BOA finalist a couple of DCA medals have judged bands for so long it hurts sometimes , judged winter guards in several circuits, taught some high schools coast to coast, . ok I just exhausted myself..lol...does any of that mater , NO not really, does it make me better than anyone else , NO not at all, does it give me just maybe a little insight, well hopefully, I NEVER, talk about who I teach or how much I have done which many posters here who PM me from time to time can back that up BUT DCP can be an exhausting place.

So there it is, Do I think BAC deserved to be in 10th YES do I think the show was a risk? for sure, Do I think in the long run the kids and maybe a few others were sold a bill of goods by certain staff, FOR SURE. I actually liked the theme and thought it could be a very cool , dark and different approach and was excited to see BUT also felt the talent, and yes there was alot of talent was wasted . A corps that's still making changes in the 11th hour is not thinking how those things are going to be clean and or didnt pay attention along the way.

I am very sorry if this comes off anti BAC, it's quite the opposite but I have heard all these things under peoples breath or in PMs to me all summer long yet noone really wants to come out and say it, yet have no problem ripping apart some of the top 5. Not right.. People actually I think for the most part have been very respectful and encouraging to BAC but if you said just 1 thing like maybe it's not clean enough then some loyal and understandably bias homers soon attack the person. Why do you think many people didnt post under the Boston thread and the same few had to continually post just to get the Boston thread back on the 1st page. This was pointed out by several posters here privately but had the respect not to say it out loud.

Did Boston do a great job with what was given YES, DID the kids work a miracle, I believe so, was it initially a good idea , I think so, did the vision get in the way of the potential of the MMs YES IMO. I would love nothing more than to see BAC in the very thick of things and hopefully the staff or powers to be will take what was done, build on it and not just challenge their members but set these members up for success and not failure. OK my rant is done. I do hope for the Homers out there you all listen to what I said and you do not have to agree but see where I may have at least a point or 2.

thanks.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

I have had and continue to have ( even at my age..lol ) a few DCI medals, over 35 WGI medals in every class, a couple of percussion finalist and 1 gold medal 4 BOA finalist a couple of DCA medals have judged bands for so long it hurts sometimes , judged winter guards in several circuits, taught some high schools coast to coast, . ok I just exhausted myself..lol...does any of that mater , no not really, does it make me better than anyone else , no not at all, I NEVER, talk about who I teach or how much I have done

Lol!

This one person's thoughts on Animal Farm:

WEIRDOS. :tongue:

Well-performed, absolutely...with a visual show bordering on insane at times, and well-handled... and I kinda sorta got the whole "dystopian society" thing... but still, this was not my favorite program of the year. LOL.

yeah they actually were, besides dirty everything was forced,sets continually felt like they were never being finished before moving on to the next thing , which i know was said to them right from the beginning .Did they improve a ton from the beginning of the year. YES for sure, enough to be in that top 5 , 6 or 7 not even close. I personally was impressed that they did clean what they did at the end but it is competition and it is compared to others also. To lay it all at the feet of the MMs is not where IMO the issue was. STAFF, never recognized the limits to makes these kids successful. EGO, was certainly in the way here. I will usually NEVER speak out like this for a number of reasons BUT another poster did ask for reasons and I watched all summer as I saw posts from people like Boston'should be this or that or that it was the hardest thing ever. Really?

As for teaching YES I was on staff for 2 years, so I do have a good idea about the wonderful foundation of the BC's but 2 years is hardly my experience either, being you pointed yours out. I have had and continue to have ( even at my age..lol ) a few DCI medals, over 35 WGI finalist and several medals in every class, a couple of percussion finalist and a gold medal 4 BOA finalist a couple of DCA medals have judged bands for so long it hurts sometimes , judged winter guards in several circuits, taught some high schools coast to coast, . ok I just exhausted myself..lol...does any of that mater , NO not really, does it make me better than anyone else , NO not at all, does it give me just maybe a little insight, well hopefully, I NEVER, talk about who I teach or how much I have done which many posters here who PM me from time to time can back that up BUT DCP can be an exhausting place.

So there it is, Do I think BAC deserved to be in 10th YES do I think the show was a risk? for sure, Do I think in the long run the kids and maybe a few others were sold a bill of goods by certain staff, FOR SURE. I actually liked the theme and thought it could be a very cool , dark and different approach and was excited to see BUT also felt the talent, and yes there was alot of talent was wasted . A corps that's still making changes in the 11th hour is not thinking how those things are going to be clean and or didnt pay attention along the way.

I am very sorry if this comes off anti BAC, it's quite the opposite but I have heard all these things under peoples breath or in PMs to me all summer long yet noone really wants to come out and say it, yet have no problem ripping apart some of the top 5. Not right.. People actually I think for the most part have been very respectful and encouraging to BAC but if you said just 1 thing like maybe it's not clean enough then some loyal and understandably bias homers soon attack the person. Why do you think many people didnt post under the Boston thread and the same few had to continually post just to get the Boston thread back on the 1st page. This was pointed out by several posters here privately but had the respect not to say it out loud.

Did Boston do a great job with what was given YES, DID the kids work a miracle, I believe so, was it initially a good idea , I think so, did the vision get in the way of the potential of the MMs YES IMO. I would love nothing more than to see BAC in the very thick of things and hopefully the staff or powers to be will take what was done, build on it and not just challenge their members but set these members up for success and not failure. OK my rant is done. I do hope for the Homers out there you all listen to what I said and you do not have to agree but see where I may have at least a point or 2.

thanks.

So happy you got that all off your chest...

• Like 2

So happy you got that all off your chest...

.. he did say he got " exhausted" posting his self described " rant " too ... so in the end it was a relief to all.... lol!

Edited by BRASSO