One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

I'm not suggesting eliminating the guard caption at all.

And I think there's plenty of criteria on the revised sheet I'm suggesting.

I just think the guard captions should parallel the brass and perc captions and focus more on rewarding "what" and "how". I think the sheet as currently written allows this caption to just become another GE caption. If the guard interacts with some prop and it's a wonderful effect, that credit belongs on the effect sheet. They weren't spinning or dancing so there's no vocabulary to credit. Credit what's in the caption and leave the other design and effect commentary to the effect guys (who never have a problem talking about the guard anyway).

It's probably safe to say that the sheets as a whole could be revised.

So, here's what I DON'T get....there seem to be a few folks who spend tons of time on the Boston thread(s), apparently for no other reason than to constantly criticize the corps. If you don't like Boston, why not simply avoid coming in to a Boston thread....perhaps you might be happier on some other threads.

Although I enjoyed MOST corps this summer, there were a few which I found not enjoyable. I do NOT go on those corps' threads and bash them or their staffs or their design teams.

Accordingly, if I went onto a thread about Corps X and continuously bashed them with my pseudointellectual drivel, I should expect to face the wrath of their supporters as well.

I guess the same could be said about the myriad threads over time that criticize any corps...look at the flack Cadets and BD have taken over the years in DCP. People seem to think that because they CAN do something they SHOULD do that "something". I can eat a nice big piece of cheesecake, but I know it is not something I should do, so I don't.

Having an internal editor might help the discourse a lot...and maybe make DCP a little less the butt of jokes around corps staffs and members.

• Like 1

Um, so there's this thing called sarcasm.

My comment was geared towards me being told I was attacking and belittling The members of BAC, even though the average 3rd grader would have gotten it right.

I knew exactly what cappybara wrote, and the intention, but I was spinning it like people have with my words in who their comments were geared towards.

But good for you.

I really don't think you should be the one criticizing people's reading comprehension considering every comment that comes at you hits hits your forehead and peels off. Read back to your original post. As someone pointed out before to you already, the way it was expressed wasn't tactful at all and came off as attacking/belittling rather than thoughtful commentary.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make in the previous post with your sarcasm because there's one big difference between my criticism of your post and your "criticism" of my post: I actually have an explained reason for being upset with the nature of your post, you on the other hand did it for the sake of doing it.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

I guess the same could be said about the myriad threads over time that criticize any corps...look at the flack Cadets and BD have taken over the years in DCP. People seem to think that because they CAN do something they SHOULD do that "something". I can eat a nice big piece of cheesecake, but I know it is not something I should do, so I don't.

Having an internal editor might help the discourse a lot...and maybe make DCP a little less the butt of jokes around corps staffs and members.

I think people just love beating on winners because of a medal, or status it can become open season BUT do the same to others trying to achieve the exact same thing and it's off limits. Human nature I suppose, the winners are supposed to have a thick skin. Oh well..

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

The winners are usually the ones who do not feel their self image or confidence diminished by criticism but measure the substance of what is said, sort the chaff from the wheat, and work on those matters in which even as champions they can improve. Those who don't learn that skill but negate any contrary statement never seem to win but relish their myths in their defensiveness.

I've noted that over the seasons several corps have "asked" certain posters/homers to stop posting on DCP as their posts didn't reflect the best of the corps' attempts or tended to be misconstrued and thus caused the corps (plural) some unneeded head aches. I seem to remember both Phantom and Cadets having posters who said as much and are now no longer with us. You are right, Guardling, human nature is complex and funny.

Edited by xandandl

I thought Boston's guard improved incredibly during the season. At one point in the summer I posted that I thought they might have to reconsider the masks as I saw a lot of drops - something I wasn't accustomed to see with Boston's guard. It was clear by the end of the season that they got comfortable with them.

It's still my favorite show from the summer. It didn't place where I had hoped, but it was interesting, particularly the music. They did everything they could to make it work.

• Like 1

I thought Boston's guard improved incredibly during the season. At one point in the summer I posted that I thought they might have to reconsider the masks as I saw a lot of drops - something I wasn't accustomed to see with Boston's guard. It was clear by the end of the season that they got comfortable with them.

It's still my favorite show from the summer. It didn't place where I had hoped, but it was interesting, particularly the music. They did everything they could to make it work.

I dont think anyone disputes that their guard improved alot BUT so did everyone. That's the point I think some may be trying to make but doesnt get through to some.